• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Would taking a single dose after being clean for 3 days cause withdrawals to return and how bad

Branggen

Bluelighter
So I havent taken any opiates for the last 3 days, im doing a taper and 2 times a week I have to take a pharmacy witnessed dose. I managed to taper myself to 0 while still getting a script, only problem is my pharmacy witnessed doses, usually I can avoid taking them by drinking only the water and not beads but today for some reason they had me take the capsules whole(they usually poor them out to prevent cheeking pills), it was 40mg of 24hr extended release morphine, you guys think Ill feel like shit once it wears off?

Yes you'll feel it unfortunately. Doubt it will be that bad but bad is very relative.

Bigger problem is this cycle you're on if you're forced to take morphine periodically yet want to abstain. I've never heard of someone forced to take morphine under the watchful eye of a pharmacist (only heard of this with buprenorphine and methadone). How did that situation arise?

So I havent taken any opiates for the last 3 days, im doing a taper and 2 times a week I have to take a pharmacy witnessed dose. I managed to taper myself to 0 while still getting a script, only problem is my pharmacy witnessed doses, usually I can avoid taking them by drinking only the water and not beads but today for some reason they had me take the capsules whole(they usually poor them out to prevent cheeking pills), it was 40mg of 24hr extended release morphine, you guys think Ill feel like shit once it wears off?
Hi , I've recently tapered off a bupe script, 5 days off & clean I decided to treat myself buying heroin which I was addicted to smoking daily, I used say about only 0.3 in 48 hours but was in moderate wd for about a day, luckily some comfort meds helped me out ,
Hi I was recently 5 days clean off a bupe script, used for 2 days & was in wd the next day, only lasted 24 hours but didnt enjoy it, opiates trick you & then come back to bite you

Yes you'll feel it unfortunately. Doubt it will be that bad but bad is very relative.

Bigger problem is this cycle you're on if you're forced to take morphine periodically yet want to abstain. I've never heard of someone forced to take morphine under the watchful eye of a pharmacist (only heard of this with buprenorphine and methadone). How did that situation arise?
Where I live Sustained release oral morphine is the 'third line' maintenance/substitution therapy after subs and methadone, beyond that you can actually get IV hydromorphone if oral maintenance doesn't work for you.
Im probably just gonna stop going I dont know what im gonna tell the doctor cause they still think im on 90mg, don't really want suspicion around extra doses laying around. Guess I may just never speak to em again

Last edited:
Hi , I've recently tapered off a bupe script, 5 days off & clean I decided to treat myself buying heroin which I was addicted to smoking daily, I used say about only 0.3 in 48 hours but was in moderate wd for about a day, luckily some comfort meds helped me out ,

Hi I was recently 5 days clean off a bupe script, used for 2 days & was in wd the next day, only lasted 24 hours but didnt enjoy it, opiates trick you & then come back to bite you
Hey, I wasnt even planning on taking it, I usually just dump the pharmacy dose in the garbage but they basically got me to take it that time, was pretty sedated all last night slept through but woke up all angry, you ever start getting mad at dumb things when you do a lot of opiates? It felt like that, just pretty annoyed that I ended up taking it like right on like the 3rd day of taking nothing, maybe the worst day, but likely to start getting better after that

Hey, I wasnt even planning on taking it, I usually just dump the pharmacy dose in the garbage but they basically got me to take it that time, was pretty sedated all last night slept through but woke up all angry, you ever start getting mad at dumb things when you do a lot of opiates? It felt like that, just pretty annoyed that I ended up taking it like right on like the 3rd day of taking nothing, maybe the worst day, but likely to start getting better after that
Oh I see, think I misunderstood your op, hope it all works out for you & you feel ok

Yeah I definitely get that opiate irritability pretty severely...

On a side-note it seems like a sin of some sort to throw morphine in the trash but you are better off for not taking it.

I wonder what are the upper range doses are allowed for morphine as a maintenance drug. Do you get take home doses? How often do you have to go to the pharmacy? I've never heard of oral morphine being used as a maintenance treatment.

I've never heard of oral morphine being used as a maintenance treatment.

Nor me I'm interested in finding out how this came about and why the pharmacist "force" you to take morphine if you're clean, why not just tell them you're clean and not take it?

I came off methodone quicker than I was prescribed it but I had take home bottles so just tapered myself down and gave my extra to the bloke I was with at the time

Yeah I definitely get that opiate irritability pretty severely...

On a side-note it seems like a sin of some sort to throw morphine in the trash but you are better off for not taking it.

I wonder what are the upper range doses are allowed for morphine as a maintenance drug. Do you get take home doses? How often do you have to go to the pharmacy? I've never heard of oral morphine being used as a maintenance treatment.
Yea I do get some carries now but it took a year clean of street drugs and for me to get to a sub 150mg dose. Ive seen a few other people taking their doses at the pharmacy, highest I saw was around 1400 mg, I believe their are people on over 2000mg. For someone on 100mg methadone wanting to swap they would start them at around 450mg and would probably end up around 700-900mg.

Currently I just have to go twice a week in which I take half the daily dose witnessed so I get 630 a week of which 80 is witnessed, Its a lot harder to get carries with the morphine you need a a good record for quite a while, asked the doc why she said street price.

The pills they use are Kadian brand morphine which are designed to last for 24 hours with a single dose, the beads in a capsule deal. I found it to work for my taper a lot better than methadone because with methadone you never really know how much is still left in your system from previous doses and whether you should taper more or wait.

The pills they use are Kadian brand morphine which are designed to last for 24 hours with a single dose, the beads in a capsule deal. I found it to work for my taper a lot better than methadone because with methadone you never really know how much is still left in your system from previous doses and whether you should taper more or wait

That's crazy where do you live? I've never heard of people being given morphine before, especially pouing put the right amount in beads, I'm in the UK

Nor me I'm interested in finding out how this came about and why the pharmacist "force" you to take morphine if you're clean, why not just tell them you're clean and not take it?

I came off methodone quicker than I was prescribed it but I had take home bottles so just tapered myself down and gave my extra to the bloke I was with at the time
Im not forced but I intended to go and toss away the witnessed dose in order to get the takehomes (though I dont plan to take those either) but I couldn't due to the circumstances. I should have just denied it and walked away right there but that would have thrown up all sorts of red flags and I dont really want them to know I havent been taking the full dose, so anyway I panicked and took em

That's crazy where do you live? I've never heard of people being given morphine before, especially pouing put the right amount in beads, I'm in the UK
Canada, they just take whatever dose you are meant to get and empty the capsules out so you cant hide them under your tongue or whatever to shoot up later, make you drink a bunch of little beads with a chug of water so its all inside ya "to prevent diversion"

Thars fucking crazy lol, can you chose to go on morphine or methadone then to come off heroin?

I'm quite curious as well! I've heard a little about some of the systems in place in Canada but have never had the opportunity to have someone elucidate further as to how the system works. Thanks @Branggen for sharing the information that you are. (y)

Dang i was once maintained at 380mg of methadone a day (methadone free now), I'd need around 4.5g of morphine a day to match that. Sounds crazy, well over a 1/8th ounce of morphine a day.

Thars fucking crazy lol, can you chose to go on morphine or methadone then to come off heroin?
in canada morphine or hydromorphone treatments are only used as a last resort if all other treatment options have been exhausted. in british columbia the treatment/harm reduction options are vastly more available than anywhere else in the country. though that is quickly changing with the current government.

I thinkthey generally start you on suboxne if your habit is less than a year, more than that you can go right to methadone, if you are still using heroin on methadone even at maintenance dose then you can go on morphine, at least that's how it used to work. When I first started morphine wasnt an option so things are changing fast. Wouldn't be surprised if they offer it along side methadone now, my doc thought the side effect profile was better with morphine

vancouver has set up systems to provide opiate addicts with free hydromorphone during the covid 19 bullshit as well.

Dang i was once maintained at 380mg of methadone a day (methadone free now),

That's so much, how big was your habit that's crazy? Did you have supervised doses and had to drink all that in front of the pharmacist in one go lol?