• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Would nitrazepam still have an effect if coming off diazepam?

Spaghettisue

Greenlighter
Hi all

Am new to this site but have a question.

Have been taking diazepam for sleep for years ( first prescribed then off the internet). Am coming down slowly off diazepam after realising I was physically addicted (now down to 3.75mg daily). The diazepam doesn’t relax me, just makes me feel normal.

Would like to know if taking nitrazepam would relax me into sleep or would it, like the diazepam, have no real effect?

Many thanks if anyone can answer this.

Probably would have an effect for a short period of time and you’d be right back to where you were with diazepam. Seriously, you’ve developed a benzo tolerance and it wouldn’t be worth it.
You’ve managed to get down to 3.75mg diazepam and you want to ruin that for moggies?
Get off the benzos and do the hard work and get yourself into a decent natural sleeping pattern. Melatonin will help along with a good sleep routine.

I totally get your point. And thanks for replying. My history with insomnia is very long standing though, and all tied up with OCD. Can’t count the number of hours of talking therapy to get past it. It doesn’t work.

I’m just talking about the odd nitrazepam though, for very occasional use. If I have too many poor nights of poor sleeping, I end up using alcohol to knock me out. Melatonin doesn’t do anything.

That’s why I’m thinking of the odd nitrazepam. Or would 10mg have no effect on me because my body is used to benzos?

The Nitrazepam will knock you out, but will do so for half the next day too. Then you'll get used to it and need more like every other benzo. I don't think they are good reliable sleep drugs.

Ambien/zop worked for me, but used very sparingly for years. Only when I hit the benzos did I develop cross tolerance so don't take either. Be wary going from benzo to z drugs.

For sleep ur probably better off with Temazepam as thats got a shorter half-life. But I'd try Zopiclone first then a hypnotic benzo.

Zopiclone -> Temazepam -> Nitrazepam in that order.

Do not use zopiclone or zolpidem for a long time or it will make all your insomnia worse

I would say do not take more benzos as much as possible, u are on a very small dose of diazepam, I have to admit that I envy that since I am taking 40mg a day now. Melatonin is a good way to go but it will take a while, look for some natural options, such as passionflower, linden or chamomile, taking another benzodiazepine will screw up your reduction.

Would nitrazepam work? Probably yes, just that it would fuck all the reduction that you achieved

Last edited: