• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Worrying, strange & unpleasant illness with brain zaps!

To Derschieber, I hope your symptoms are easing now. Sounds like you screwed up your chemistry with over-use of both methylone AND 5-mapb! I recomend easing up on all stims including coffee, try to eat fresh fruit & veg, keep well hydrated & take supplements of Fish Oils & ALL the B vitamins. This will aid your recovery but, once again bear in mind it took me about a fortnight before I felt better.

Best of luck & thanks for your kind words regarding my adventure. I've been fine for about 5 or 6 weeks now. I'm not taking any sims for the forseeably future & I cut back on my Etizolam just in case it was also involved.

Honestly, this is EXACTLY how I felt mate! My poor gf went through hell, I was pissing & moaning for two all days, miserable as fuck I was, tears over nothing! She's a trooper Lol

You'll be fine, just tough it out. It fucking sucks but it goes away! It won't last, I promise you! :)

AND don't do it again! I fucking won't! Lol

Ingwe...thank you for your reply. I am feeling much better today. Had the first reasonable sleep last night...maybe I feel 90% back to my old self. Fortunately I did have a bunch of fish-oil capsules lying around...now I abuse those instead lol...there is not any chance that I will be taking the mapb again. Or any heavy-weight serotonin type drugs. Thank you for your encouragement...it's amazing how much this helps, when in the midst of that...ahm...insanity.
Today's feelings of relief are the most rewarding effects from my recent drug-binge, now that I'm beginning to not feel totally ratchet...isn't that just pathetic...

I'll not be doing it again. I fucking won't !

brain zaps stop after a week.

I think that would very much depend on what caused them.

I suffered a good8 weeks of them when coming off Venlafaxine recently and I don't believe that that is uncommon for some ADs

Yeah, I've read about folk suffering Brain Zaps for years & years after SSRI discontinuation. But it does seem likely that Zaps related to Serotonergic stimulants ease within a few weeks. I've only had a couple very minor ones since I recovered from the illness described in the first post.

Derschieber, good to hear you're on the mend mate, great news! I was the same, I had some serious "Survivors Euphoria" after recovery, I was absolutely ecstatic to be well again! I wonder if perhaps our Serotonergic systems over-compensate once they start firing again, bringing this wonderful "I'm ALIVE & unscathed" feeling?

Everybody please keep well & take care with 5-mapb & ALL & ANY activity, we've lost too many people here recently! Look after yourselves! <3

Yellow fish's Zaps

Hi Si Dread,
I take great comfort in reading your post as I am going through this difficult time now. I've been have small brain zaps for 5 days now after a heavy one off MDMA + coke one nighter, I regret it so much. I rarely do mdma but coke roughly once every two weeks for half a year.

Did you zaps completely disappear? I understand it's been a long time since this post. Did you continue taking 5-mapb/ similars? How did it go...

I have bought some b-12 vitamins and magnesium and fish oil tabs, i will take them tonight before I sleep.

Please reply, you have some really respectable replies

Warm regards,
Yellow fish

Hey Fish, whilst I am not Si I certainly have personal experience in the matter.
MDMA and similarly efficient 5-HT releasers are infamous for causing the brain zaps you unfortunately are suffering, as unpleasant as they are, rest assured: short lasting.
Even heavy abuse rarely leaves zaps for much longer than a fortnight.
Hope you feel better soon. :)

Hey Sprout,

I really appreciate your speedily reply, it has given me much optimism :).

It really has been a rough, scary, five days trying to work out what is going on with me. Certainly learnt my lesson, providing that I am soon to be unshackled from the zaps.

I have heard a lot about the B12 vitamin and magnesium supplement. I bought some today on my lunch break.
What is your outlook on these? I want to check before finally committing to taking them later on this evening - I am scared it will make it worse.

Best regards,
Yellow Fish

Ive had brain zaps my entire liife on and off. They were at their worst when I was taking MDMA every week but I have been getting them since I was a child - a cold or flu would normally trigger one if I moved my eyes in certain directions. I still get them reasonably frequently, especially if I have been binging on large doses of benzodiazepines, or if I have a man flu or similar cold type ailment (which is rare when your an opiate dependant). I have had them occasionally when in h wd as well.

Funnily enough over the lat few days there I was getting brain zaps, I stupidly forgot to get a repeat prescription for Sertraline over Xmas and New Year; therefore, I was taking 50mg every two days instead of daily. I've suffered from them a few times in my life so knew exactly what was going on, I seem to be able to self induce them if I move my eyes from side to side, it's such an uncomfortable sensation. The first time I ever had them was back during my heavy ecstasy days in my early 20s, I had a week long binge over my 21st and I remember vividly getting them for the first time.

I can't unfortunately think of anything that I do to combat these, nowadays I just get my prescription! Back then before I was on SSRIs it would just take time, I'd try and avoid anything for a few days including alcohol, even coffee. I'm unsure if doing so had much of an impact, but I would certainly feel better about myself for attempting a detox, I usually take vitamin supplements too.

Hi Mushet,
Wow a week long binge!
Funnily enough I am in my early 20's. Mine was just a one off. Mine are very mild, send a slight tingle through my body and slight flash In my mind.

How bad were your mind zaps?
Did they dissapear after a while after your binge? (Pre-SSRI's)

Yeah they did, this was back in 2001/2002 or something, I remember lying on my folks sofa at the time and feeling this 'zap', I spoke to my friends about it at the time and my mate Steveo whose birthday it also was and who was binging with me also got them, they did just go away with time. If I remember correctly I think I also started suffering from sleep paralysis at the same time, which was freaky to say the least, I'm unsure if it was related, but that is something that I still get from time to time.

I understand what you're going through, it really is a horrendous feeling and obviously anything to do with, or feels like, your head/brain is going to be a worry. It's also very hard to describe to someone who has never experienced it. I got them through abusing Tramadol once too, I no longer take that for fun.

Just try and take it easy for awhile man, take a break from the party drugs until you feel a bit better.

Thank you for the responses, all really useful information.

I was feeling better. It was my best friends and his girlfriends birthday on Saturday who I am very close with, I tried to make excuses but I was dragged out, unfortunately. Had a few drinks, trying to take my mind off everything around it as was getting me down. A lot of friends were suggesting to get some coke in however I had absolutely no desire to do so - positive note.

Yesterday (slightly hungover) was fine, got lots of sleep. Now I'm back from work today I was dozing off on the sofa once home and was getting low level zaps again. Don't know if tiredness could be a direct correlation? I hope the night out hasn't set me back.

Was everyone's a gradual reduction in severity of zaps or did they just completely dissapear??? Mine are slowly dulling down but hit set backs, some days better than others. It's been 10 days since mine began

IME they become markedly less frequent after a fortnight or so, being all but a memory after a month.

Ive had brain zaps my entire liife on and off. They were at their worst when I was taking MDMA every week but I have been getting them since I was a child - a cold or flu would normally trigger one if I moved my eyes in certain directions. I still get them reasonably frequently, especially if I have been binging on large doses of benzodiazepines, or if I have a man flu or similar cold type ailment (which is rare when your an opiate dependant). I have had them occasionally when in h wd as well.

Yeah, the first time I ever had brain zaps was before I took drugs. Was about 11 and I had scarlet fever. They can accompany bad flu's/virus's.

In the case of this thread I'd say it was the etizolam that triggered them.There is something not quite right about etiz IMO, the rebound after it and it's effects are much worse than I've had from any other benzo.

Yeah, the first time I ever had brain zaps was before I took drugs. Was about 11 and I had scarlet fever. They can accompany bad flu's/virus's.

In the case of this thread I'd say it was the etizolam that triggered them.There is something not quite right about etiz IMO, the rebound after it and it's effects are much worse than I've had from any other benzo.

Did you get the twitchy eye too? I'm not kidding here but etizolam gives me eye ticks. I agree there's something not quite right about it.

No can't say I had that kate. It seems to have a very steep curve in terms of results and like I say the absolute worst rebound. The rebound I had from using it for 3 weeks even were terrible, emotions all over the place, crippling anxiety and hopelessness. Makes me think because it's such a powerful anxiolyctic effect it's probably causing a worse effect than other alternatives.

Thank you for the responses, all really useful information.

I was feeling better. It was my best friends and his girlfriends birthday on Saturday who I am very close with, I tried to make excuses but I was dragged out, unfortunately. Had a few drinks, trying to take my mind off everything around it as was getting me down. A lot of friends were suggesting to get some coke in however I had absolutely no desire to do so - positive note.

Yesterday (slightly hungover) was fine, got lots of sleep. Now I'm back from work today I was dozing off on the sofa once home and was getting low level zaps again. Don't know if tiredness could be a direct correlation? I hope the night out hasn't set me back.

Was everyone's a gradual reduction in severity of zaps or did they just completely dissapear??? Mine are slowly dulling down but hit set backs, some days better than others. It's been 10 days since mine began

Well done in refusing to do coke man, that was a wise choice. If I remember correctly pre SSRI they just gradually disappeared.

Hi Si Dread,
I take great comfort in reading your post as I am going through this difficult time now. I've been have small brain zaps for 5 days now after a heavy one off MDMA + coke one nighter, I regret it so much. I rarely do mdma but coke roughly once every two weeks for half a year.

Did you zaps completely disappear? I understand it's been a long time since this post. Did you continue taking 5-mapb/ similars? How did it go...

I have bought some b-12 vitamins and magnesium and fish oil tabs, i will take them tonight before I sleep.

Please reply, you have some really respectable replies

Warm regards,
Yellow fish

Hey Fish person. I see you're in good hands here but I apologise for the delay. My NY resolution is to spend more time on BL again. Had a nice year off Lol

Did my zaps disappear completely. No.

Since the event I have come to call my ABzC, or Acute Brain-zaps Crisis, I have considerably reduced my intake of stims. I have had no empathogenic stims for about a year or more. I've had maybe three sessions of amphetamine sulphate in the last, the last one months ago, probably 3 months ago. The length of the depressing hangover after using speed is now so long that it makes speed too costly to use. So far I have found not one stimulant that I can use without crippling hangovers & a return of the zaps.

I still wake up to a mini morning zap pretty regularly. They are almost non-existant & sometimes I wonder if I might have dreamt it. If I have been eating plenty of fish, particularly tuna but not shell-fish (doesn't seem to help, to little oils??), the zaps seem fewer & further between.

So yeah, it's now 3 years & the symptoms persist to a very, very minor degree. But they persist.

Hope you have better luck than I!

Hi Si Dred,

Thank you for the response!

I am sad to hear they have not dissapeared for you completely, glad to hear you have made progress

Maybe using speed is not allowing your brain to fully heal? Can't imagine speed is good for your neurotransmitters.

You mentioned its been three years however have only not touched empathogenic stims in a year and a half?

What are you acute zaps like? Please describe

I appreciate your response

Peace,
Fish person ?

I've definitely made tons of progress, so long as stims stay out of my system I may kick them altogether one day. Whoop. No big deal though, I guess if I have to live with mini-zaps most mornings, it could be worse. I survived!

I am certain that immediate cessation of stims would have speeded & aided recovery. On each occasion that I have lapsed I have delayed my recovery further.

The acute zaps were crippling. They zapped my entire body causing uncontrolled rigidity. They were much more like actual seizures. They were also constant, even laying in bed, every single movement brought another zap. Getting up for a piss was a nightmare involving spinning head, vicious, instant nausea & occasional vomiting. Through the worst 24 hours it was one of the most unusual & most unpleasant periods of illness I've ever enjoyed! I doubt I will ever suffer anything like that again, but if I have to avoid stims for the rest of my life to be certain of that, so be it.

They make an uncomfortable come back after a stim sesh, but I've got no lingering emotional problems & still enjoy a psychedelic now & again =D