• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Worried about physical addiction to Xanax

kingkpin

Bluelighter
I was recently prescribed Xanax 0.25mg . Most days I'll take one in the morning and one in the late afternoon or I'll take it as needed throughout the day, whether it be half the pill or take one extra depending on how I'm feeling. I've been on it for about 3 weeks and have been taking at least 0.5 mg daily. How long do you think until I'll have a physical addiction to the drug at this type of dosage? I really don't want to be addicted and it has been really helping me to make new friends and to get out and do things without anxiety holding me back, I just don't want this to become a part of me to live my life normally. Thoughts?

According to the most conservative clinical standards, BZDs shouldn't be given for more than 2-4 weeks, but this is not at all in line with common practice. However, beyond that point, and probably before it, you are bound to get some rebound anxiety. Particularly with alprazolam (Xanax), this is not one of the better benzodiazepines in terms of addiction and dependence, as it is short acting and fast onset, factors generally associated with increased addiction. Clonazepam, lorazepam, or diazepam may be better choices, but all benzodiazepines will build tolerance and lead fairly rapidly to habituation at some level. Clinical efficacy beyond that period of time is a matter of debate, some maintain that after tolerance is built up they're doing nothing but satisfying that tolerance, but there is at least some effect, minimally to the 3-6 month level. Beyond that you may have to escalate dose to get effects and you may be dealing with downregulation of GABA. For long term treatment of social anxiety, seek therapy, CBT (cognitive-behavioral therapy) being one of the better options. Benzos are at best a short term solution.

^^this.

xanax is the most addictive benzo imo, and the withdrawals and rebound anxiety are excruciating mentally. id lower your use dramatically and look for other ways to overcome your social anxiety, like cbt, pushing yourself a bit and exercising.