L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Worried About BF's Substance Use and His schizophrenia

Ketamania

Bluelight Crew
Howdy guys! Please give me some advice because last night was not the best. My BF has schizophrenia, but only has severe psychotic episodes when he does stimulants.

TLDR: BF won't stop doing bath salts/stimulants/coke when I ask. He said he would stop awhile ago, but he ordered more secretely and has been doing it while I'm sleeping. I caught him once, but then he did it again... He convinceed me to try them (a-PCYP) and the high was actually nice and then I came down. However, when my BF came down he had the WORST psychotic episode I've ever seen. I flushed the rest of the a-PCYP b/c he cannot control his use. I comforted him all night, but I am exhausted today and some of the things he said triggered my PTSD. I just got my sleep back, but I was up over 27 hours.

Yo! So....... This is quite the story (bath salts.. whoot!):

So I actually have always criticized bath salts. Not b/c of media mongering, but I heard it can cause really bad side effects for people; especially those with mental illness. My SO has been trying them out in the past, and EVERYTIME he would get into a psychotic state (b/c he has schizophrenia). He only gets SEVERE psychotic/psychosis when he does bath salts of any kind (any RC variation of cathinones). Anyways, yest. he's like "nah they aren't that bad, you should try them to see". I didn't want to really, but I was like "why not? something new".

So, it actually was very nice. It's like... adderall and meth combined? It's very speedy, but it has a lot of euphoria. I didn't smoke it, I snorted. And let me tell you, THAT SHIT BURNS. Worst thing I've snorted (and i've snorted salt, DMT, etc.). Anyways, it was all going good, my SO and I having fun. But then he wanted to go smoke it, so he went outside (can't smoke in our apartment). We live in a city so apparently he went to the hood part of our city (420captial) and smoked it off foil. Real sketch lol.

Anyways, he was gone longer than I thought he would be. He was okay though. BUT- then the comedown came. It's a real heavy body load and I had a pretty bad headache. I was able to manage, but then he started to have the worst psychotic episodes I've ever experienced with him.

I'm not going to give details, but I did stay up 6 hours with him trying to comfort him. I know the protocol of what to say and not say during an episode, but it's very taxing on the caregiver. You can't take anything personal cause they'll say your trying to kill em ya know? After FINALLY getting him to take more of his antipsychotics it got better, and now he's sleeping like a rock. He did say some pretty scary stuff (not anything about killing), but it triggered my PTSD real bad. However, I kept comforting him cause i couldn't break down then.

However, yet again, he had an episode on the comedown, as I have always told him. I tell him not to buy more, then he bought more secretly. I told him not to do it, then he did in 2x while I was sleeping. He's trying to hide his use, which he's never done before. I am really sad that he didn't listen to me when I say that he WILL have a psychotic episode after bathsalts.

I've been up for 27 hours, and just got 5 hours of sleep. I feel a little better, but i'm feeling very depressed and a little suicidal. I flushed rest of that drug down the toilet because he could not control his use and he's been lying to me about it. He may be mad, but I thought I made the right decision. He promised me he was going to 'sell it' and not do any, but he didn't sell one bit and instead been doing it secretly.

I really love him, and he's said that he wants to marry me, but he needs to stop doing cathinones, or really any stimulant. Of course I will always take care of him, but I'm going to have a serious discussion tomorrow that he needs to quit stimulants. I just don't know what to think right now, of course what he said wasn't him, but I am very tired (physically and emotionally). I really would like to marry him, but I am worried about what just happened. But I think if he quit drugs (or mainly stims), this severe episode won't happen ever again. In fact, he's never had one sober.

I hope when he finds his drug missing he's not angry, but I did it for his and my good. My brain and emotions are scrambled right now due to lack of sleep and stress, but I feel- deep strong depressive emotions. I wouldn't call it suicidal, but I'm extremely sad. I'm gonna hydrate, eat a snack, listen to music, and try to calm down a little. Love y'all

Of course, we can keep this thread open, I want more perspectives for your sake IF you want to keep it open.

I'm not sure if others can or want to relate; SLR has been a dodgy sub-forum for years and I'M HERE TO MAKE IT GREAT AGAIN YAY!

Can I ask...

How are you guys doing emotionally? Are things well?

Things and my love interest... on/off again... um... roller coaster of mostly ups and downs. Mostly I'm HAPPY right now and I haven't seen him and it was making me really sad/etc but I'm over him again (I AM TOLD 10,000 TIMES by 100's of people I am DOING THE WRONG THING by playing with fire... I get it...)

So I would never tell someone to not follow their heart. Lord knows I'm following mine... I can't say it's leading me in the "best" direction... just "a" direction.

I've been told I'll find "SOMEONE" out there that will be "EVEN BETTER" and that "I CAN DO BETTER".

That really hurts to hear... because I don't think it, but it's probably true.

It is not going to get better and you should leave or if you live together find somewhere else to live. It isn't selfish to put yourself and your own needs first. Also your boyfriend sounds incredibly dangerous, self destructive, and I know you love him and want to help him but he has to be the one that has to make the choice to get sober or into recovery, take his antipsychotic medication, and get help for his mental health issues. You are not required to be his nurse/caretaker, it's not like he is a relative of yours or something. He is an adult and can get help if and when he wants to.

It is best if you break up, state your boundaries, keep your distance, do not go anywhere alone with him, and stay safe. Get away and out now while you still can.

DO NOT marry this guy. This is him manipulating you and telling you what you want to hear, and he is not going to stop using stimulants as he is addicted to them.

Last edited:
Howdy guys! Please give me some advice because last night was not the best. My BF has schizophrenia, but only has severe psychotic episodes when he does stimulants.

TLDR: BF won't stop doing bath salts/stimulants/coke when I ask. He said he would stop awhile ago, but he ordered more secretely and has been doing it while I'm sleeping. I caught him once, but then he did it again... He convinceed me to try them (a-PCYP) and the high was actually nice and then I came down. However, when my BF came down he had the WORST psychotic episode I've ever seen. I flushed the rest of the a-PCYP b/c he cannot control his use. I comforted him all night, but I am exhausted today and some of the things he said triggered my PTSD. I just got my sleep back, but I was up over 27 hours.

Yo! So....... This is quite the story (bath salts.. whoot!):

So I actually have always criticized bath salts. Not b/c of media mongering, but I heard it can cause really bad side effects for people; especially those with mental illness. My SO has been trying them out in the past, and EVERYTIME he would get into a psychotic state (b/c he has schizophrenia). He only gets SEVERE psychotic/psychosis when he does bath salts of any kind (any RC variation of cathinones). Anyways, yest. he's like "nah they aren't that bad, you should try them to see". I didn't want to really, but I was like "why not? something new".

So, it actually was very nice. It's like... adderall and meth combined? It's very speedy, but it has a lot of euphoria. I didn't smoke it, I snorted. And let me tell you, THAT SHIT BURNS. Worst thing I've snorted (and i've snorted salt, DMT, etc.). Anyways, it was all going good, my SO and I having fun. But then he wanted to go smoke it, so he went outside (can't smoke in our apartment). We live in a city so apparently he went to the hood part of our city (420captial) and smoked it off foil. Real sketch lol.

Anyways, he was gone longer than I thought he would be. He was okay though. BUT- then the comedown came. It's a real heavy body load and I had a pretty bad headache. I was able to manage, but then he started to have the worst psychotic episodes I've ever experienced with him.

I'm not going to give details, but I did stay up 6 hours with him trying to comfort him. I know the protocol of what to say and not say during an episode, but it's very taxing on the caregiver. You can't take anything personal cause they'll say your trying to kill em ya know? After FINALLY getting him to take more of his antipsychotics it got better, and now he's sleeping like a rock. He did say some pretty scary stuff (not anything about killing), but it triggered my PTSD real bad. However, I kept comforting him cause i couldn't break down then.

However, yet again, he had an episode on the comedown, as I have always told him. I tell him not to buy more, then he bought more secretly. I told him not to do it, then he did in 2x while I was sleeping. He's trying to hide his use, which he's never done before. I am really sad that he didn't listen to me when I say that he WILL have a psychotic episode after bathsalts.

I've been up for 27 hours, and just got 5 hours of sleep. I feel a little better, but i'm feeling very depressed and a little suicidal. I flushed rest of that drug down the toilet because he could not control his use and he's been lying to me about it. He may be mad, but I thought I made the right decision. He promised me he was going to 'sell it' and not do any, but he didn't sell one bit and instead been doing it secretly.

I really love him, and he's said that he wants to marry me, but he needs to stop doing cathinones, or really any stimulant. Of course I will always take care of him, but I'm going to have a serious discussion tomorrow that he needs to quit stimulants. I just don't know what to think right now, of course what he said wasn't him, but I am very tired (physically and emotionally). I really would like to marry him, but I am worried about what just happened. But I think if he quit drugs (or mainly stims), this severe episode won't happen ever again. In fact, he's never had one sober.

I hope when he finds his drug missing he's not angry, but I did it for his and my good. My brain and emotions are scrambled right now due to lack of sleep and stress, but I feel- deep strong depressive emotions. I wouldn't call it suicidal, but I'm extremely sad. I'm gonna hydrate, eat a snack, listen to music, and try to calm down a little. Love y'all
if having a psychotic episode from stimulant abuse gave you schizofrenia, i'd be schizofrenic but i'm not. He just needs to stop doing that shit altogether, I've broke my window and slit my wrists one time i shot cocaine and went bonkers. It seems like he needs to go to rehab if he can't stop using stims.

Of course I will always take care of him

Huh, I dont think you owe him anything. Either you let your love lead you to a horrible situation or you get your senses in control.

That being said, I truly hope it works for you two, but sadly its propably not going to. Schizophrenia is horrible but drugs on top of it and the recent secrecy? Try to have one important talk and if he doesnt want to quit drugs, run.

Huh, I dont think you owe him anything. Either you let your love lead you to a horrible situation or you get your senses in control.

That being said, I truly hope it works for you two, but sadly its propably not going to. Schizophrenia is horrible but drugs on top of it and the recent secrecy? Try to have one important talk and if he doesnt want to quit drugs, run.
Thank you for your advice. We've talked, and it's a complicated situation but I think things will be better.

if having a psychotic episode from stimulant abuse gave you schizofrenia, i'd be schizofrenic but i'm not. He just needs to stop doing that shit altogether, I've broke my window and slit my wrists one time i shot cocaine and went bonkers. It seems like he needs to go to rehab if he can't stop using stims.

For sure! He's been to rehab for crack, and just recently got access to coke and couldn't control the amount he did. We had a talk the other day and we both agreed to stop using stims, I think things will get better

It is not going to get better and you should leave or if you live together find somewhere else to live. It isn't selfish to put yourself and your own needs first. Also your boyfriend sounds incredibly dangerous, self destructive, and I know you love him and want to help him but he has to be the one that has to make the choice to get sober or into recovery, take his antipsychotic medication, and get help for his mental health issues. You are not required to be his nurse/caretaker, it's not like he is a relative of yours or something. He is an adult and can get help if and when he wants to.

It is best if you break up, state your boundaries, keep your distance, do not go anywhere alone with him, and stay safe. Get away and out now while you still can.

DO NOT marry this guy. This is him manipulating you and telling you what you want to hear, and he is not going to stop using stimulants as he is addicted to them.

Thanks for your input. I'm more conscious of this now and I will not be afraid to break up if he can't come to compromises with me.

Of course, we can keep this thread open, I want more perspectives for your sake IF you want to keep it open.

I'm not sure if others can or want to relate; SLR has been a dodgy sub-forum for years and I'M HERE TO MAKE IT GREAT AGAIN YAY!

Can I ask...

How are you guys doing emotionally? Are things well?

Things and my love interest... on/off again... um... roller coaster of mostly ups and downs. Mostly I'm HAPPY right now and I haven't seen him and it was making me really sad/etc but I'm over him again (I AM TOLD 10,000 TIMES by 100's of people I am DOING THE WRONG THING by playing with fire... I get it...)

So I would never tell someone to not follow their heart. Lord knows I'm following mine... I can't say it's leading me in the "best" direction... just "a" direction.

I've been told I'll find "SOMEONE" out there that will be "EVEN BETTER" and that "I CAN DO BETTER".

That really hurts to hear... because I don't think it, but it's probably true.

Hey CH!! We've been doing quite well, but quarantine has definitely put some stress on eachother. Being in the small apartment together all day is different than our routines. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! Do what's right for you, take care of yourself friend. ❤️

Hey CH!! We've been doing quite well, but quarantine has definitely put some stress on eachother. Being in the small apartment together all day is different than our routines. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better! Do what's right for you, take care of yourself friend. ❤
Lol

I wish i could say the same

Life going well though. Just a lot going on.

it is extremely difficult and frustrating to try to help someone control their behavior when they do not want to admit they have a problem

people experience a feeling of confidence and freedom on stimulants. this is particularly attractive to people who are dissatisfied with the mundanity of everyday life. but it is probably not too far out of bounds for me to guess that a young adult male abusing stimulants to the point of psychosis thinks his real life is boring.

unfortunately the process of recovery from stimulant abuse is confused by attempts to draw analogies to opioids and alcohol. this inaccuracy impedes communication because it is obvious to anyone who has observed the process that withdrawal from stimulants does not hold a candle to the monster that is withdrawal from sedatives. recalcitrant abusers who are not experiencing severe discomfort and "cravings" wrongly conclude that they are not addicted.

the other incongruity between sedative and stimulant abuse is that while the desire to sedate oneself is obviously unnatural and counterproductive whenever the goal is not sleeping, the desire to be more productive and awake is natural and quite common among healthy people.

in other words the abuse of stimulants becomes "ingrained" within the mind's natural problem-solving strategy arsenal. how will i take care of this? on stimulants. how shall i write this? on stimulants. et cetera. the stimulant abuser fears losing access to what they see as their own cognitive abilities.

in order to correct this treatments have been developed which attempt to correct preexisting cognitive deficits which may have originally driven the user to stimulant abuse. e.g.

the ideal course of action for any particular individual exhibiting stimulant abuse varies widely with the history and circumstances of the affected person's life. however the general trend is that it is necessary to replace the "function" of stimulant use as experienced from the addict's perspective.

(he says, with acetylcholine receptors still drenched in nicotine)

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I'm more conscious of this now and I will not be afraid to break up if he can't come to compromises with me.
You cannot reason, compromise, or get ultimatums or have healthy boundaries or a healthy and normal relationship with someone who is schizophrenic and/or addicted to METH or bath salts.

Start making your exit plans and tell family and friends about what is happening, find a new place to live, and DO NOT go anywhere alone with him, DO NOT lend him any money or combine your finances. Put yourself first, and DO NOT marry this guy.