• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

World’s most comprehensive study into marijuana delivers controversial findings

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
73c8de265c29b3c0dabec8afdb0ce5c8

WHILE the recreational use of marijuana is becoming slowly legalised across the globe, the drug is still largely considered to have diminishing results on mental and physical health.
But how much of this view is based on fact and how much is derived from weed-fearing propaganda from days gone?

To try to answer that question, the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine recently completed the world’s most comprehensive study into marijuana, which examined more than 10,000 scientific abstracts dating back to 1999.

“This report summarises the current state of evidence regarding what is known about the health impacts of cannabis and cannabis-derived products, including effects related to therapeutic uses of cannabis and potential health risks related to certain cancers, diseases, mental health disorders, and injuries,” the report read.

The extensive 395-page report unearthed more than 100 conclusions about the health effects of recreational and therapeutic cannabis use, with many bound to make people question their stance on the natural plant.

Here are some of the more thought-provoking finds.

DOES WEED CAUSE CANCER?

The report said that smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production, but says quitting smoking or ingesting the drug orally will likely reduce these symptoms.

“The evidence suggests that smoking cannabis does not increase the risk for certain cancers (i.e., lung, head, and neck) in adults,” the report read.

“There is modest evidence that cannabis use is associated with one subtype of testicular cancer.

“There is minimal evidence that parental cannabis use during pregnancy is associated with greater cancer risk in offspring.

“Smoking cannabis on a regular basis is associated with chronic cough and phlegm production.

“It is unclear whether cannabis use is associated with COPD [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease], asthma, or worsened lung function.”

ARE THERE REALLY THERAPEUTIC EFFECTS?

With medicinal use of marijuana becoming more widespread, there is more evidence supporting the therapeutic effects of weed — something this study confirmed.

“In adults with chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting, oral cannabinoids are effective antiemetics,” the report read.

“In adults with chronic pain, patients who were treated with cannabis or cannabinoids are more likely to experience a clinically significant reduction in pain symptoms.

“In adults with multiple sclerosis (MS)-related spasticity, short-term use of oral cannabinoids improves patient reported spasticity symptoms.”

When looking at the effects of cannabis or cannabinoid-based therapeutics on the human immune system, the researchers said there is insufficient data to draw overarching conclusions.

However, the report claims there is “limited evidence to suggest that regular exposure to cannabis smoke may have anti-inflammatory activity.”

WHAT ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH?

When looking at cannabis use and mental health, the findings offer mixed results.

“Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychoses; the higher the use the greater the risk.,” the report read.

However, it added that a history of cannabis individuals with schizophrenia and other psychoses may be “linked to better performance on learning and memory tasks”.

The research found smoking weed did not appear to increase the likelihood of developing depression, anxiety or PTSD, with heavy cannabis smokers even more likely to report thoughts
of suicide than non-users.

However, users with bipolar disorders should refrain from smoking too frequently.

“For individuals diagnosed with bipolar disorders, near daily cannabis use may be linked to greater symptoms of bipolar disorder than non-users,” the report read.

WILL SMOKING WEED MAKE ME DUMB?

The effects of marijuana use is proven to have some diminishing effects for mental capacity, with
adolescents worse off.

“Cannabis use during adolescence is related to impairments in subsequent academic achievement and education, employment and income, and social relationships and social roles,” the report read.

The same held true for adults, with findings stating that “recent cannabis use impairs the performance in cognitive domains of learning, memory, and attention.”

However, it mentioned these findings were only present in evaluations 24 hours after use.

ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD KNOW?

There has been zero recorded deaths from overdosing on marijuana, although the report does suggest it could play a role in other fatal injuries from being stoned.

“Cannabis use prior to driving increases the risk of being involved in a motor vehicle accident,” the report read.

As for addiction, heavy use can be habit forming and could also lead to the abuse of other substances.

“Greater frequency of cannabis use increases the likelihood of developing problem cannabis use,” the report read.

“Initiating cannabis use at a younger age increases the likelihood of developing problem cannabis use.

“Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk for developing substance dependence (other than cannabis use disorder).

The full report and all its findings can be viewed here.

Has this report changed your viewpoint on weed? Continue the conversation in the comments below or with Matthew Dunn on Twitter and Facebook.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...s/news-story/45ff90ce5dcab14496b3d75b3442c44d

Noo noo i kinda love you.. but really you need to quit posting this dog shit.. go back to school.. take some argumentative writing classes.. take some classes on how to read critically

Since when did this become a hate thread?

What is the thread called? Is it called hate on someone thread for posting a relevant article to the heading? The thread is called "drugs in the media" not go off and slander for posting in x thread.

If there is an issue then get the thread renamed to "drug articles that are PC and tolerant of Bluelight members feelings and opinions"

As far as I am concerned you can fuck off and eat a dick. Hear they are having a PC tolerant dick meal at Starbucks for $4.99. Enjoy that :)

Also don't quote me bout school.

I did my time you piece of shit.

Did you do a doctorate or Masters? Or do you like to to pretend you did?

I only post these articles as it gets us to think and become aware of what is being posted. It is wrong to assume and generalise.

Any how get me banned I couldn't give a shit.

Did not know how sensitive everyone was on bluelight till now.

take some argumentative writing classes..
As far as I am concerned you can fuck off and eat a dick. Hear they are having a PC tolerant dick meal at Starbucks for $4.99

=D

OT: Until people can use cannabis without having to worry about legal repercussions, social stigma etc. I don't think that its' therapeutic potential can be evaluated fairly.

It's one thing to say that there's a connection between weed and anxiety for example, but correlation doesn't necessarily suggest causality - perhaps those with pre-existing anxiety are more likely to use cannabis in the fist place and may be more susceptible to side-effects or habitual use?

The article also suggests that weed can increase risk of developing substance dependence (other than 'cannabis use disorder').. I would say that it's legal status (in Australia at least) is far more of a gateway to other drugs than the weed itself.

I could go on, but my 'cannabis use disorder' is really playing up at the moment. In short; A lot of qualities seem to be attributed to weed, but I don't think we can really say anything about it for sure under the current scheme of things.

Noo noo i kinda love you.. but really you need to quit posting this dog shit.. go back to school.. take some argumentative writing classes.. take some classes on how to read critically
Are you on meth? This is an interesting article and it is drugs in the media. Be thankful people like noo noo take the time to find and post these articles.

Now hurry up and get to Starbucks before they close.

Since when did this become a hate thread?

What is the thread called? Is it called hate on someone thread for posting a relevant article to the heading? The thread is called "drugs in the media" not go off and slander for posting in x thread.

If there is an issue then get the thread renamed to "drug articles that are PC and tolerant of Bluelight members feelings and opinions"

As far as I am concerned you can fuck off and eat a dick. Hear they are having a PC tolerant dick meal at Starbucks for $4.99. Enjoy that :)

I'm pretty shocked at that response. I post here pretty frequently and was going to post the same article, but you beat me to it. It is a highly cited news article that people will be referring to and need to know about. And I'm not sure what personal credentials have to do with it, but I have a Masters Degree and have worked in the field of mental health as a career.

Please don't stop posting, but I have to admit if I got attacked like you did, I'd probably just say "fuck it" and move along; no good deed goes unpunished anymore it seems...

bizarre.

Yeah, I don't really go out of my way to read the news these days so I'm glad someone sifts through articles and finds stories relevant to the site.

Yeah, I don't really go out of my way to read the news these days so I'm glad someone sifts through articles and finds stories relevant to the site.
Absolutely. I not sure where the motivation came from to attack Noo noo but its neversickanymore who has the problem with critical reading.

I hope he enjoys his meal at Starbucks.

What is up with Aussies and trying to prove that cannabis has horrific side-effects? Even us back-asswards 'Mericans are catching on that it's a perfectly benign substance.

Oh no, being too stoned impairs my ability to drive, I guess I should go drink ten pints and get behind the wheel.

What is up with Aussies and trying to prove that cannabis has horrific side-effects? Even us back-asswards 'Mericans are catching on that it's a perfectly benign substance.

Oh no, being too stoned impairs my ability to drive, I guess I should go drink ten pints and get behind the wheel.
As someone who smoked weed very heavily for thirty years i would say it is largely benign compared to alcohol but it is certainly not without potential harms. To say it isn't is bordering on delusional.

I mean it's certainly not something to use when you're trying to do thought intensive work or truly operate a vehicle safely, and I have a personal distaste for stoners even though I am one; as far as I can tell though, most of the side-effects are societal in nature.

Are you on meth? /QUOTE]
no

noonoo posts allot of antidrug and pro drug war articles.

I personally have seen no convincing evidence that mj would negatively effect driving. I have consumed it and performed mental and motor tasks associated with free/extreme skiing. Driving a vehicle pales in comparison to this.

this is not me.. but i have done very similar shit high as fuck on grass. im certainly not the only one!!!

I have smoked over 130 lbs of the best grass on this planet over the last twenty years and enjoy an iq above 130?

Sorry you got all but hurt noonoo.. maybe you should fire up a j

I'm pretty shocked at that response. I post here pretty frequently and was going to post the same article, but you beat me to it. It is a highly cited news article that people will be referring to and need to know about. And I'm not sure what personal credentials have to do with it, but I have a Masters Degree and have worked in the field of mental health as a career.

highly cited.. what would you cite from it?

Are you on meth? /QUOTE]
no

noonoo posts allot of antidrug and pro drug war articles.

I personally have seen no convincing evidence that mj would negatively effect driving. I have consumed it and performed mental and motor tasks associated with free/extreme skiing. Driving a vehicle pales in comparison to this.

this is not me.. but i have done very similar shit high as fuck on grass. im certainly not the only one!!!

I have smoked over 130 lbs of the best grass on this planet over the last twenty years and enjoy an iq above 130?

Sorry you got all but hurt noonoo.. maybe you should fire up a j

I drove for 30 years stoned. It may not impair you like alcohol but it certainly has an effect.

Noonoo posts articles related to drugs. That article was not anti drugs. It was neutral. You need to be more respectful of contributors to the site.

Now go get your dick sandwich

the article is weak. The impairment of grass does not come with the stupidity and recklessness of alcohol.

how many accidents in those thirty years?

noonoo post pro drug war, pro bust and anti drug posts. Which is fine, but i can post my views as well.

Edit: and you couldn't push my buttons if i gave you a road map=D

Last edited:
I love that each time someone tries to bring up potential harm from smoking weed, alcohol is instantly brought up. We all know that it's harmful, we know it's generally more harmful than weed. No one in here is denying that. But people constantly deny any harmfulness of weed, regardless what evidence you throw at them.

There is always a bigger fish and there is always a more harmful drug we shouldn't compare up in this scenario. Just because it isn't as bad as something else doesn't mean it's harmless.

The shrine surrounding weed as a remedy to all problems is ridiculous.

Each and every time this conversation is had :
Hurr durr alcohol ex machina.

highly cited.. what would you cite from it?

It was listed on Google News Health section as an article tagged as "highly cited". That means people are sharing it and talking about it; and if that's the case people should know what the article actually says.