• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

WORK SUCKS: Talk About Your Job

Work sucks. But i kill it.

Once i get back into my shit and pull best margins (in the job i will eventually have).. back to back.

The most bizarre job ad arrived in my inbox --

Pay rate: up to 225000

We have a short meeting in the morning every weekday ... which we start by doing 30 push-ups while holding planks between them for 3 minutes and 30 seconds to the Moby track Flower (some call this the "bring sally up challenge") ... and yes, you did read that right, we do that every before every meeting.

Our corporate meetings are usually held at race tracks and often involve riding motorcycles at 150 MPH. Our corporate training events usually involve copious amounts of alcohol and firearms ... in that order. This is not a joke, nor is it intended "to try make us sound like badasses." We actually enjoy what we do and we believe that it helps promote the creative process and the business as a whole.

I'm not qualified for it but I guess it's something to aspire to o_o

Okay, I’ve got time to kill so I’m going to tell my story finally.

I’ve worked on a medical-surgical ward for about 8 years (new grad year before that on two other wards). Hated it the moment I got there, had issues with coworkers, but eventually got the hang of their work culture (basically lazy fukks with no integrity) but people still hate me. They say I’m “intimidating“ and “unapproachable”... I have no idea why. I’ve never attacked anyone or raised my voice or anything like that. Sure I got stressed and shut down from time to time but I don’t act out, get aggressive or have outbursts. On the contrary, I actually found myself the subject of about four other people’s verbal outbursts publicly at the nurse’s station- which my manager does nothing about but is happy to tell me all the time that “people are making complaints about you being unapproachable etc.” yet can’t name anyone or give any concrete examples. Occasionally she gives hearsay (never believes what I say though) but never investigates the claims.

Then at the end of 2018 I got married, start of 2019 we moved to a different apartment, in July of 2019 my cat if 18 years had to be euthanised. I have a breakdown, my husband leaves me around September. I have an admission to mental hospital in October and get diagnosed, medicated, treatment plan in place but still can’t get my husband back. 2020 I had a lot of leave to deal with symptoms of my illness, I expect divorce papers by September (haven’t got them yet). So it’s been a fucking shit show for me at work and personal life.

Around July I finally breakdown and tell my manager to just send me anywhere else because I don’t know how I can be anymore approachable or un-intimidating. Genuinely. She has no suggestions either (I literally asked her and she said “I don’t know”). No one is pinpointing any behaviour to change, I’m clueless. So I start moving around wards with no issues with other staff. Then I meet with the Director who suggests I do COVID swabbing for a break from regular duties and because they need more people, then within a week or two she will find me a new ward. I agree... I meet with Human Resources who basically use a format usually reserved for formal complaints and disciplinary action to write how I’ve been absent and issues on the ward (from the POV I caused them) all using hearsay from my manager and they decide now I can only work Monday to Friday AM shift while COVID swabbing until I see a new psychiatrist who is to determine whether I’m fit to work- all because I disclosed my illness as per my responsibility when I renew my registration that year, even though the registration body is already happy and given me my registration based on previous psychiatrist’s opinion. This is meant to happen within 30 days.... I was stuck swabbing for TWO MONTHS.

September comes around and I take long service leave as per the advice of every mental health professional I interact with because I expect divorce papers and I may lose it again. I took SEVEN WEEKS, expecting the issue to be dealt with and new ward assigned by week 4 (would be three months later) so I could go back early and save some leave but until this date they STILL have not written a report to revise the previous based on the new psychiatrist’s appraisal (so about four or more months now). Told them I will go back to work tomorrow but I refuse to do swabbing or temperature checking, I want to work on a ward, I don’t care where.

I actually love my job and it’s been hard the last several months. I’m still not sure what will happen but I hope this will get sorted out this week. I honestly think the issues that I had on that ward were due to other staff hating me and not me personally as I get on well on other wards. Such a goddamn shame. It’s like I’m being punished for being mentally unwell by HR too. And NONE of this is official (no written complaints with evidence), above board (there’s no policy for how to handle this case so they’re using a disciplinary approach) or deemed “disciplinary action” by them...

Kinda wanna be like...

Oh and add to that- there’s no complaints about my work. None. From patients or staff regarding my ACTUAL work. On the contrary, I’ve received actual cards and flowers from patients. Flowers specifically sent for me.

(Anyone judging at home- didn’t start using hard drugs until this year and not on days I worked)

Last edited:
it's probably bullying, especially if you say the department is mostly lazies. could be they want you gone because you pose a threat to the status quo, and portraying you as a rogue element is how they're trying to achieve that. wouldn't be surprised if there's some gaslighting going on, too.

if that's you in your avatar then you do have kind of a naturally intimidating look, i guess that could make the story seem more believable even without evidence. we all judge books by their covers, it's an unavoidable fact of life...

How can you tell I look intimidating from that avatar? It’s a SC filter 😂 I’m not intimidating looking. I don’t know why people hate me tbh. I just know they do.

[photo removed]

Last edited:
It's in the eyebrows, the fullness and inward tilt makes you seem very serious. Reminds me of Jennifer Connelly actually, she's usually cast as pretty serious/aloof characters. Cute pic though :)

Soooo got a message this morning from my manager saying they want me to keep working at the COVID drive thru clinic that I expressly asked not to work at. And “hopefully by the end of the week” the Director will have spoken to HR regarding the matter.

So I sent a formal complaint to the general manager. And the Fair Work ombudsman. Because I’m over this shit. It’s been going on since July.

Haven’t heard anything after that complaint.
manager didn’t put the day I have therapy down as annual leave or an ADO so I didn’t get paid for a day. I messaged her and she said she will do it NEXT WEEK. WTFFFFF mannnnn

Triple posting.
It’s 30 degrees C and we’re outdoors signing people up with iPads.... the iPads got temperature warnings and we couldn’t use them until they cooled down- we had to keep working though! lol
I better get a ducking tan out of this.
Where’s this bloody thunderstorm already...

Update: the intranet crashed an hour before home time 😂 still made us sign people up on paper forms. Glad that’s over! Until tomorrow... Meant to be 40 degrees C on Monday (I May die)

@Sirena Oscura I have a question for you since you live below the equator and you are starting your summer time.
When you celebrate Christmas do you celebrate with traditional pine trees for Christmas Trees? Also, since so many Christmas decorations feature winter motifs such as snowflakes, snowmen, and icicles, do you do that in Australia even though the weather is hot?
Sorry for all the questions. I’m just curious is all.

Haha, a bit off topic but okay :)
Everyone celebrates differently. But yes, pine trees are available for those who want them, others just use fake trees because it’s cheaper and easier to maintain.
And yeah even though it’s summer we often use winter motifs still- again it’s all personal. You see less of it than neutral things though- like tinsel and fairy lights go on everything. Baubles, Santa socks. More common than snowflakes and such. Reindeers are big
Some people just go full Ozzy and have a BBQ, beers, cricket match after family lunch. You see fauna around the place, and if it’s especially tacky, you might see posters of like cartoon koalas wearing Santa hats and such. Does that answer your question?

Thanks Sirena you’ve answered my questions.
There have been occasions here when temperatures were in the range of 25-27 Celsius on Christmas Day and I have laid by the pool. I live in an unusual climate however. Incidentally I have lots of bird and fish ornaments on my Christmas tree.

San Diego, California

It doesn’t snow here. Is there any place in Australia that it snows?

Oh yeah for sure! Snows on the mountains, usually out west (of NSW anyway).
You should show us pics of your Christmas decor!

Soooo got a message this morning from my manager saying they want me to keep working at the COVID drive thru clinic that I expressly asked not to work at. And “hopefully by the end of the week” the Director will have spoken to HR regarding the matter.

So I sent a formal complaint to the general manager. And the Fair Work ombudsman. Because I’m over this shit. It’s been going on since July.

is that where you tickle people's brains through their nose with a big Q-tip? I can see how that would be a depressing post, but at least it's still work with a positive impact. more than can be said for a lot of jobs...

I think it’s a matter of perspective. I venture that every job has a positive impact as they serve the needs of the people.

lol not the kind of jobs I work. you know what's really sad, is that there's more employment in fucking people out of money than there is in providing valuable goods.

if you want to get rich just make a business that caters to any major vice: lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, pride, envy.

selling sin to humans a limitless market. you'll never run out of people eager to throw money at you to help ruin their life :(

I have to admit... since less people have been getting tested work isn’t AS bad. Half the time I get to just read the news waiting between cars.

I’m still MIGHTY pissed about my HR taking three weeks to analyse one sheet of paper only to tell me they need to “clarify” it. Like fuck you had three weeks! I know he got the new confirmation from my psychiatrist but he’s not answering my emails. He’s probably twiddling his fucking thumbs again and I’ll be stuck here another month. I hate this guy so much.