• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Work Rant

This lady we work with just constantly complains her entire shift to the point of ridiculous. In that case you could learn how to avoid or change a topic but with that old lady coughing all day... Not much you could do but that would drive me insane lol you'd need a pay rise by the sounds of it.

I am an intern at a pharmacy. I mostly print out and fill Rx's. I love the work. It's really fun.

Wednesday my "boss" (the head tech... we are all under the authority of the pharmacists) asked me if I could stay so she could go home early. I am working for free anyway. I had nothing better to do and I have a lot to learn in the 120 hours I am allowed, and quite near finished.

So I stayed. I got there at 9 am and left somewhere around 7 pm. The head tech has issues. Now that I have been there a few weeks, she has gotten comfortable browbeating me every chance she gets. Friday morning the minute I walked in she started yelling at me for staying so late and said she was going to get into trouble for it. I told her have the bosses come to me. I was the one who was staying because I was checking the shelves and trying to memorize where everything is. I didn't hurt anything or anyone and the pharmacist there at the time said he didn't mind if I stayed.

The head tech has her gay pet bitch. They are really tight. He told her that he told me to leave at 5. He did not. I told her he did not and she said he said he did. I said "I will talk to him myself. Why are you two gossiping about me?" That shut her up for a second then she got her second wind and told me I was a worthless tech, I will never make it in the biz because I can't follow orders.

I've done every single thing asked of me, with a smile and a "yes ma'am". I work very hard and I try to learn as much as possible during each shift I work. I'm not worthless. Anyway, the head tech went ballistic on me for about five minutes in a loud voice. The pharmacist heard it, as well as some customers.

The Pharmacist called her into his office momentarily and she was using a MUCH nicer tone of voice with me after that, although her eyes were more full of hate than ever. I maintained my cool throughout the entire thing and let it go.

She held on to it. She was so mad at me she got physically agressive whenever she had the chance. She hasn't liked me since day 1. My husband of course says she is jealous and afraid I will take her job but I cant apply at a pharm until my license is in my portfolio which can take some time... like six to eight weeks!

The atmosphere inside the pharm (back in the corner where the drugs are dispensed) got worse throughout the day. At one point I felt her behind me, and I looked up in one of the several mirrors installed way up near the ceiling so everyone can see everyone in the aisles. I think I saw her pretending to stab me in the back and throwing a laughing glance at her bitch boy.

I know she's trying really hard to get me fired, which is so stupid, because I will be done interning in two weeks. I'm trying so hard to get along I'm practically sucking her dick.

I am afraid she is going to accuse me of stealing. I don't steal and there are the cameras everywhere and I wouldn't do anything to mess up my standing in the program. But since she clearly hates me, it would be easy for her to say I took something. I would be shut out of the program while they investigated. I have nothing to hide but I can't afford to have this problem. She said something today about some controlled substances missing and I knew right away what she was hinting at.
She is the head tech and if she told the general manager some shit lies about me, I'd be SO fkkkttt. Innocent. and fkkttt.

What should I do? She already got reprimanded by the pharmacist for her unprofessional outburst this morning but that made her even angrier. I left early because although I had gotten to work and tried to forget about it, she got increasingly enraged. My spidey senses were telling me the atmosphere was becoming dangerously hostile. She had critisized me at the beginning of every single one of my shifts, about shit that happened when I wasn't even there.

I'm sick of this. I do not deserve to be treated like shit, talked to like I am her personal Negro slave, and lied about on top of it all. Friday was so horrible I'm afraid to go in Monday. I cannot get along with her. I've tried talking but she blames me. I've tried to be humble and she speaks to me in the worst tone of voice, with anger just flushing her cheeks bright red.

What am I going to do? There is no such thing as telling. I am 53 years old. She's probably 30. I'm not going to go crying to the instructor. (I have class Tues and Thur and I intern M, W and F.) But I think I am in serious danger from this deranged woman.

Suggestions? Please help me, folks. I'm in a very vulnerable situation.

Ugly, first I will say that I'm sorry you are going through this and so far, it appears that you have done your best to keep your cool.

I know it can be difficult to report things like this, especially in a situation where it is your word against the word of two people who are in cahoots.

IMHO it would be in your best interest to cover your ass in all ways possible. Keep a written journal of everything that has happened. Dates, times, names....everything.

I know it seems like you are being a cry baby or a narc, but I would definitely tell my instructor to contact this woman's superior....ASAP. I did an internship earlier this year and my professor made it clear to me that he was my advocate should trouble arise at my placement. If I was in your shoes, I would have my instructor email the lady's superior so there will be hard evidence of the conversation. I would have the instructor tell your story word-for-word (though without the expletives, obviously) so you can save your internship and your future career.

I'm sure you have discovered, not many things are more difficult than dealing with a bully who is also a superior. Think of your instructor as your attorney. If you were wrongly accused of murder, would you go to court without an attorney?

I promise you, your instructor will have less sympathy if shit blows up and you failed to keep him or her informed.

Right now the clock is ticking and whoever acts first will likely be the one who is victorious in this situation. Fuck, I would email your instructor TODAY and tell them what has been happening. I know it's Saturday but, like I said, the longer this continues, the worse the outlook will be for you to successfully complete your internship.

Best of luck and please keep us informed. Feel free to pm.

My own work rant is that working in a hotel which does functions is massively work demanding over christmas and I'm just turning 18 meaning im now eligible for bar work this time. This would be absolutely fine with me, except I have a good 6-7 exams coming up this January and can't book the weekends before exams off because up until Feb is christmas-period as in I can't book a day off at all. I doubt my boss would be a big enough cunt to not let me have any off, especially as I'll be doing a mid week shift to cover someone else who has weekends free anyway(?) but its just the whole uncertainty of it all. I messed up my last Jan exams because of this and this time I probably have double the amount.

Another massive one is that over a weekend I'm clearly over worked - I just worked 8am-2am Saturday, 8am-8pm Sunday. That's 30 hours for a weekend, this is nearly as many hours as my fulltime mother works! However because I'm only doing it on weekends and not all week long, it doesn't meet the legal criteria which is like 48hours a week averaged over 17! weeks. Oh and some of those shifts are so busy I'm having breakfast at 7am, then lunch at 7pm and can't even fit a dinner in often. Yeah I could probably just quit because it's not worth messing up exams and I mean I don't even spend money these days. It's literally just drugs, shirts and primark plimsoles these day. But if I quit, there's no way I can guarantee any job around here for Feb-May, Sept-Nov.

Writing it out actually has made me see that it's completely pointless continuing working there if hours stay this high (they will) and I can't get those weekends off - eh I'll look for bar work now because that will be fairly empty now the uni lot have gone.

Oh and the average age of residents at the hotel is 69. Old people smell funny and sometimes I have to help them get out of the bath.

Ugly, I'm sorry about what you're going through. It surely sounds like harassment, and I will second what Jerry said. I hope this gets resolved-in your favor-very soon!

Let's all vent about our shitty jobs...

I don't think I've had such a horrible job.. ever.. till, unfortunately, now.

I've got an injured foot and am in constant pain. I decided to tough it out but end up going home a few hours early due to the pain becoming unbearable. I go to work again today and the pain becoming unbearable 6 hours into my shift. I asked my managers if I can go home early and they say no and I must work my remaining two hours. Well if that's the case, I don't want to work anymore until after I recover from my surgery. This is what I get for trying to help them! Grrrr.

~ calls out for the next 3 weeks. They can't fire me, right? (I have a doctors note).

no they wont fire you....you have a very specific reason for not going to office.........and as a human,evryone knows how much pain hurts.....:(

sounds terrible, Ugly. if she's gonna accuse you of stealing controlled substances, be ready for that drug test.

on a less serious note... i'm writing an article about some coupon-cutting spec of a human. or at least that is her persona; this person has to be more than what she puts forward. she publishes a blog and cookbooks full of recipes that feed your little kids for cheap. like the western world doesn't know about store-brand turkey and a loaf of bread. anyway, we are talking things like "creative" grilled cheese recipes. yeah, it's pretty sick that anyone buys a book about how to not spend a bunch of money at the grocery store. even worse, who could possibly want to read an article about the woman who writes it? this is not an empowered female. she's some caricature warped in from the 50s. and her kids have all these fucking allergies. i don't know why that makes it worse, but it does. it's weak. her reality sounds like a nightmare. i have to make her seem interesting and enviable in 700 words or less.

because they won't stop sending me pictures of her latest book, it took me like 5 days of haggling with her PR girl to get a single comment about her reasons and goals for starting the blog. finally got it this morning, the day before my deadline. "to combat rising gas prices." holyfuck, i have to say that?

and this is just one of two articles I have due tomorrow. which means tonight before i go to bed, because i have to be at my office job tomorrow. the second girl never got back to me, so i have to write the article about her without a comment. fortunately, i think she's not quite as lame.

and this is an internship i don't get paid for. i don't get school credit for it. i'm obviously not writing anything to include in a portfolio. i'm trying to get publishing experience and develop connection, but all i'm doing is writing mommy advertorials for free. i never get more than a few business days between a story and the deadline, which wouldn't be problem except the soonest i ever get a usable quote from a contact is a couple hours before i have to submit the article.

this is supposed to be a fashion publication. last issue we ran an article about a puppy fashion show. once i got to ghostwrite a blog post about nicole richie's new line for macy's. it's fucking milan fashion week.

Last edited:
Thought I'd jump in here and post again regarding my work situation... So that arsehole boss of mine is no longer my boss. It started with him denying my request to have the 17th of November off which he had three weeks notice for. I asked him about it via text message. Indicating that it's an important weekend and that Rye (A great bloke I work with) is more than happy to cover it. My boss replied "mate it's a busy time for hospitality, you can't just go and have weekends off as you please (keep in mind I'm a casual employee and I gave him three weeks notice) and last time Rye covered one of your shifts he was late which is unacceptable.

So that is where I snapped. here is what I wrote to my boss who I've never yelled at before, never questioned and not even given false body language to in the ive years of working for him..

"Haha, this is just funny to me now. Okay, let me lay this out for you because you're clearly failing to understand basic concepts: It is absolutely ridiculous that you attempt to use the actions of another staff member as an excuse to deny me a single day off when I have provided three weeks notice... How unprofessional and irrational of you. Now, as a casual employee who is not paid benefits, I have the right to be unavailable, with adequate notice. You say it's the busiest time in hospitality? Well it's also a busy period for staff, who have lives and commitments. It's on YOU as management to have enough staff to cover these busy periods, not on me as a casual employee. I also find it hilarious and more than a little hypocritical that you're jetting off to Thailand in the middle of this "busy period" you speak of... lol. After our conversation last week regarding my medical condition - you have thrown it in my face with these latest rosters. Not to mention that we had an agreement that I was to have certain weekends off to see my Dad. And did I say anything? No, because I wanted to help you out. You obviously do not value family, you should look at that - it's a terrible quality for a person to have. I'm hardly surprised with your track record of poor management and pathetic people skills though... I'm certainly not the only one hat thinks so either... I'm sure you get the drift ;)
I won't even get into all the illegal shit you've pulled (changing rosters without notice, not providing adequate breaks etc). But again, this is all standard for you. I have been a good employee, and have always been dedicated. However, I will no longer allow my rights to be abused any longer.

Anyway, back to my rights as a casual employee - I also have the right to quit... without notice. So I won't be speaking to you about any of this, I'm simply going home now. Take a look at yourself and the lack of respect and consideration you have towards others - it's completely on you and your horrible management that you've lost so many staff recently. Goodluck, and I recommend that you address the fact that you are simply an unkind human being.

P.s. Don't bother replying. See ya pal.

Guys it was unexpected and the timing is wrong but if anyone is thinking about. Do it!! it's seriously one of the best feelings I've experienced.

Ugly, first I will say that I'm sorry you are going through this and so far, it appears that you have done your best to keep your cool.

I know it can be difficult to report things like this, especially in a situation where it is your word against the word of two people who are in cahoots.

IMHO it would be in your best interest to cover your ass in all ways possible. Keep a written journal of everything that has happened. Dates, times, names....everything.

I know it seems like you are being a cry baby or a narc, but I would definitely tell my instructor to contact this woman's superior....ASAP. I did an internship earlier this year and my professor made it clear to me that he was my advocate should trouble arise at my placement. If I was in your shoes, I would have my instructor email the lady's superior so there will be hard evidence of the conversation. I would have the instructor tell your story word-for-word (though without the expletives, obviously) so you can save your internship and your future career.

I'm sure you have discovered, not many things are more difficult than dealing with a bully who is also a superior. Think of your instructor as your attorney. If you were wrongly accused of murder, would you go to court without an attorney?

I promise you, your instructor will have less sympathy if shit blows up and you failed to keep him or her informed.

Right now the clock is ticking and whoever acts first will likely be the one who is victorious in this situation. Fuck, I would email your instructor TODAY and tell them what has been happening. I know it's Saturday but, like I said, the longer this continues, the worse the outlook will be for you to successfully complete your internship.

Best of luck and please keep us informed. Feel free to pm.

+1 good advice right there

I taste H2s gaz coke and benzien allday at work... yup so gona get cancer so meh

I fuckin work with amphetamines all day... It's cool but I really feel that my exposure limits are above and beyond where they should be. I feel it :(