• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Words you always have trouble spelling

Missisippi - Mississippi damn lols!!!

Just say in your head, "Aside from the obvious M, there are two consonants after every vowel." If you don't have seven consonants in Mississippi after spelling it, that's unlucky for you. But not as unlucky as actually living in Mississippi. On a related note, I have trouble spelling consonants.

tommorow.

I almost always want to spell tomorrow with two m's, but never with only one r. That's just silly, Max.

Last edited:
I always have to think carefully before I spell manoeuvres & embarrassing.

My trick for those types of words (yeah, I had trouble with that one too) is to run through a "novelty pronunciation" that is true to the phonemes required when spelling it out. So in the case of the above, we have "Gwar-auntie" (for the standard, West Coast pronunciation of "aunt").

Fucking automated spell-check is degrading my spelling ability. I've made some dumb mistakes on the chalk-board in front of students, but they probably still aren't getting the impression that I'm generally stupid. :p

ebola

Fucking automated spell-check is degrading my spelling ability. I've made some dumb mistakes on the chalk-board in front of students, but they probably still aren't getting the impression that I'm generally stupid. :p
ebola

lols!

I try my best to not use spell-check as much as possible. I feel like spelling has become a useless skill due to the technology we now have, but I also feel like it is a fundamental of understanding grammar.

I also feel like it is a fundamental of understanding grammar.

In a literal sense though, it is not. All aspects of English syntax are present in spoken English. Orthography merely codifies what is spoken.

ebola

Fair enough, but I'd bet that 80% of people who can't speak in proper English can't write it either.

N.b. I was very drunk when I posted that & still don't fully understand what I meant.

Hell, I am very sober and hardly understand what I meant.

Last edited:
Then I think my work here is done.

The other night I had to spell bizarre & I almost put two z's & one r

onomatopoeia-gets me every time, I keep thinking that there is an e after the first o for some reason... also
apolagy apoligy apology

Break it up--oh no, matt oh, poe EEE uhh = onomatopoeia.

Just like beautiful--be a U-tiful Person = beautiful

I almost never use chauffeur, but I can't spell it :\.