• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Words/language, emotion - cognizance, neural function/integrity

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Typically/historically in terms of neural and thus genetic interference or what I'm hearing referred to as, "perturbation", pharmacology and pharmacotherapeutics has been considered the primary effective intervention.

What I'm reading/hearing more and more now however is, at least with psychology researchers and publishers, the effect of words on nervous system function, thus nerves and neural function, ultimately implicating gene expression.

"How we think, determines our function (how we think being coded by our neurons), determines what we are".

It's all been very pseudo/bro-science up until now, but additionally we could attribute that to simply lack of understanding/clarity in a very convoluted area.

I don't want to spam post vids necessarily but I've been soaking up any and all examples of this in use,

Here as example of word/self-dialogue use in terms of neural excitability management, to cope with stress.

In fact I think bluelight has it's own thread on this is the "words" section,

Self dialogue/word use, is almost certainly a means to emotionally process and cope - subsequently behave - and I think words specifically accomplish this, where as visuals - they don't.

However, no such allusion thus far has made specific reference to its affect on neural function, BY WAY of emotional process etc. (suggesting emotional process itself, DICTATES neural function).

Anyways, I've been coming across more and more allusions and discussion of this topic, wanting to put it in perspective of neuroscience (which it has thus far been lacking), and specifically the means by which it affects neural function, and thus all those things that historically pharmacotherapeutics and drug interventions have catered to.

Last edited:

MIT Prof of biology discussing words/language in relation to thoughts, we think in words, thus behave in words, thus act in words (and I personally contend, code our neural function, according to words).

This dude is like a revolutionary in neural biology, it's from these series of discussions I take the above reference, "perturbations" - which as outlined has historically been drugs in some capacity.

Last edited:
And the last in this particular series of vid spam posting on this subject - but a video which makes very clear outline being words, and emotion.

The video being titled, "how to master your emotions", and how profound the outcome of doing so is, additionally illustrating the means of doing so, is based in words, language.

Again let me doubly underline, emotion I contend, is the basis of neural function itself (E-Motion - Electro-Magnetism) - which is why I wanted this in the "neuroscience" subforum.

It has yet to be clarified HOW this relation exists, and that's what I intend for this thread to do.

Last edited:
In terms of the above "perturbations" to affect nerve integrity, I'm taking this directly from the other thread here,

"The data suggest that the aged brain has not permanently lost essential cognitive capacities, as was commonly assumed, but rather that these cognitive resources are still there but have been somehow blocked, trapped by a vicious cycle of cellular stress"

This is in relation to ISRIB, novel compound which reverses eIF2alpha phosphorylation.

ISRIB, discovered in 2013 in Walter's lab, works by rebooting cells' protein production machinery after it gets throttled by one of these stress responses—a cellular quality control mechanism called the integrated stress response (ISR; ISRIB stands for ISR InhiBitor)

The mechanism would suggest there's a physiological element that essentially slows genetic translation based protein synthesis as a result of stressors.

In contrast to a pharmacological intervention, my contention is more so implicating actual neural firing itself, which either directly effects, or subsequent signalling effects, gene expression, translation, transcription etc.

Key words between the two approach is, cognition.

ISRIB dramatically implicates cognition (according to that article).

I'm contending, enhancing neural firing itself it the BASIS of cognition, enhancing it directly, as well as subsequent cellular/physiological "co-factors" that assist protein translation etc.

From study:
after giving animals a single dose of ISRIB. They found that common signatures of neuronal aging disappeared literally overnight: neurons' electrical activity became more sprightly and responsive to stimulation, and cells showed more robust connectivity with cells around them while also showing an ability to form stable connections with one another usually only seen in younger mice.
The insinuation being that, the enhancement in overall cellular/neural integrity (it's firing/pulsation/action-potential-propagation) is among the primary beneficial results.

Last edited:
What I had also contended was that, our emotional setup is predisposed from birth.

Genetically coded, or epigenetically coded.

(Short piece on epigenetic coding and heritability:

)

i.e. how we think is predisposed - this is exhibited in monozygotic twins separated at birth.

This pretty much explains the mechanism.

Memories/thoughts/emotions are coded in neural firing, in much the same way as transistors in integrated circuits code binary by being switched on or off, and cumulatively contain the information (which is a silicon chip is read by a processor).

So how do genes explain how memories/thoughts are encoded from birth?

That paper explains how a specific gene or gene expression is responsible for synthesis of a voltage gated ion channel - such channels determining the electrical activity of the nerve/neuron.

My contention is, although genetics/heritable-epigenetics dictate predisposed thought/emotional patterns (thus personality), and that's essentially coded from conception/zygote formation - that the subsequent electrical process dictating thoughts - can be recoded from the outside in, by thoughts.

What we learn, how we learn to think, what we learn to believe.

Religion uses prayer mantras (word cycles) in attempt to instill this neural coding - as an example.

Environmental influences can implicate determinations and subsequent beliefs, thus thoughts - modifying in some ways neural electrical states (which reverse the predisposed process of genes to electrical activity - to electrical activity to gene expression/phenotyping/epigenetics).

But in any case that paper explains one means by which our predisposed thought/emotional state is actually coded in the genome itself.

Last edited:
I've noticed - when folk get REAL mad - they tend to express themselves in words.

i.e. they don't express themselves in visuals or images in their mind.

i.e. high emotional expression - happens by way of words.

Occasionally they might break stuff, throw stuff etc - which would seem to reflect untended or poor expressed neural hyperexcitability.

But to effectively manage unstable and difficult emotions and feelings - expression and definition through and by words, seems to be the optimal approach - with the potential to offer optimal resolution.

When a person is going through a particularly difficult time emotionally (thus on their nervous system), the means to address this effectively is often "talk therapy" - psychology, which again is word based.

Point being, in relation to the clip with the biologist above in relation to thought expression - of course we can think in visuals and numbers etc - but when it comes to actually performing a task, language itself seems to be the basis of doing so.

Therefore, the words we use, can be responsible for actually coding our neurons.

In developmental disorders, where their genetics are mutated to the point where they can't establish command over word use and thus effective emotional rationalization, they seem to be more prone to extreme emotional outbursts and potentially mental disorders like psychosis and depression;

i.e. extreme emotional dysregulation = extreme neural dysregulation.

Point being - words/language itself, is intimately connected to neural functionality and all other comprising factors - rationalization, intelligence, aptitude, ability, general functionality.

Noam Chomsky - MIT linguist said:
Language is the basis of cognizance

Our ability to communicate through language is really perhaps the primary factor that sets us apart from animals - and thus our standard of living and cognizance that lends itself to that progression etc, is largely facilitated through language.

Interesting idea, but current neuroscience is nowhere being able to prove or disprove any of this