• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Women! Are female users portrayed differently?

Brooksy90280

Bluelighter
Women, what do you think? Are female users portrayed/treated differently in the media, real life, NA (if you’ve been)?

Uhh, I'm not sure what you mean by "portrayed".

But there are definitely differences, in the same way that there are differences between the sexes just in general.

The biggest different from a drug user perspective I can think of is that guys often offer you free drugs.. And other guys try to entice you to have sex with them for drugs.

I used to go to NA quite often, both mixed groups and female only. I can't say the different was especially great, except women were more likely to have been former sex workers. I suppose there's also the fact that part of the reason there are segregated groups in the first place is there's always been an issue with so called "13th stepping" where members get into relationships with each other. Frequently resulting in both relapsing.

So yeah, I mean there are differences I guess. In the same way as there are differences just in human social interaction generally. But addiction has a lot of similarities no matter who it affects.

I definitely know what you mean about the guys expecting you to have sex in return for drugs.
portrayed was probably the wrong word. I guess any way you are treated or feel your experience might be different to men’s.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel there’s a little more stigma around women using drugs? It’s not “ladylike”? Although there’s obviously stigma for men too

I definitely know what you mean about the guys expecting you to have sex in return for drugs.
portrayed was probably the wrong word. I guess any way you are treated or feel your experience might be different to men’s.

Well yeah. The main difference is women are more likely to turn to sex work when extremely desperate while men are more likely to steal. Of course this is just a generalization, I've seen male prostitutes and female thieves.

There's also all the risks that come from being addicted while pregnant. That's a big one. But I never got pregnant while using so I can't really comment much on it.

It's obviously another concern though that men don't really have. Not just being pregnant but concerns about avoiding getting pregnant while having a severe drug habit.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel there’s a little more stigma around women using drugs? It’s not “ladylike”? Although there’s obviously stigma for men too

Eh. I can't say I've ever really felt judged for being a drug addict in a way that's particularly different for being female.

You generally have the capacity to make more money pan handling too as a female. That's another difference.

Id actually say people are more sympathetic than more judgemental. But if you were a female addict with kids I suspect that'd be quite different.

@JessFR this is the same guy who’s doing the survey. I would be wary answering anything. He’s not stated he’s using this info for his website which is what he’s doing.

I’m not a guy, I’m a chick. These answers will NOT be used on the website, I’m just getting to know people. I wouldn’t use quotes from people without being upfront about it. I can understand the confusion though

There's Demi Lovato who is now making money off of selling Mental Illnesses on t.v. She doesn't write her own material.

Lindsay Lohan got in trouble for a small amount of coke.

When it's coke or heroin, you get busted. Cops have a hard on for these. But weed and mdma are fine. Robert Downey Jr Scott Weiland served time.

I’m not a guy, I’m a chick. These answers will NOT be used on the website, I’m just getting to know people. I wouldn’t use quotes from people without being upfront about it. I can understand the confusion though
It’s fishing as far as I’m concerned. I’m a researcher and I’m going through loads of red tape in order to draw up a study. Whilst I realise your answers are going on some website, there are ethical and confidentiality issues. If @Tronica has said it’s ok and a thread has been made then I would have no issue with it, I do have issue with you questioning like this though.

It’s fishing as far as I’m concerned. I’m a researcher and I’m going through loads of red tape in order to draw up a study. Whilst I realise your answers are going on some website, there are ethical and confidentiality issues. If @Tronica has said it’s ok and a thread has been made then I would have no issue with it, I do have issue with you questioning like this though.
Tronica did actually say it’s ok. It’s kind of a weird grey area for the site because it’s not a study as such, it’s conducting interviews with people who will be anonymous and consent

Tronica did actually say it’s ok. It’s kind of a weird grey area for the site because it’s not a study as such, it’s conducting interviews with people who will be anonymous and consent
I just read her reply. Yeah, it is definitely a grey area and one that needs some proper guidelines.

I’m not a drug user, I was in my 20s but just mdma/ketamine/coke. I have a lot of experience with opioids and other medication due to being a chronic pain patient and I work in a lab as a researcher, currently doing my PhD in pharmacogenomics. I have gotten to know the women on this site and I do feel quite protective over them. Women who use drugs are already vulnerable and the media already targets women who use drugs which ends up in them being seen in a negative light. Just so you understand why I replied in the way I did.

I would suggest if you’re going to ask questions like the one on this thread that you preface it by stating what you’re on BL for. If you have any previous writing published on this topic I think it would be a good idea to post some links also.

I'm not a female but my partner(read as wife, long story) and I have been together since '12, and have cycled through numerous addictions and maintenence medications together. I can say absolutely say that she had a (W) female had/has 100X more sucess at getting particular percscriptions than I do, a (B) male.

As far as treatment I've been twice and yeah "13th steppin" is a real thing, and even people who are serious in their recovery can get caught up in it.

I'd be happy to provide detailed insight to any questions you might have on the record on condition of anonymity, provided you've got the ok to be asking such questions by @Tronica