• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Women and Weed: The Re-Emergence of Female Cannabis Culture

poledriver

Bluelighter
Women and Weed: The Re-Emergence of Female Cannabis Culture

women-and-weed-the-re-emergence-of-female-weed-culture-body-image-1470325877.jpg

Having spent a large amount of my youth at a Church of England all girls' school, I had decided drugs were evil. Take one toke on a spliff and it would be a slippery slope towards your school portrait appearing on the front page of the Mail: "GCSE Student Tragically Dead at 16 from Doing Too Much Reefer".

Skip past my puritanical phase, though, and by 19 I was smoking weed pretty regularly, thanks to my boyfriend and my male housemate. No surprise there, really: weed is the most commonly used drug in Britain, and 93 percent of those who use drugs (around 14 million people) have smoked cannabis.

I got stoned after work, before going to the cinema and with my friends after parties. Slowly, I bridged the gap between newbie and someone who knows what "indica" is, and hoped to share the ritual I'd grown to love with some of my close female friends. Problem was, I barely knew any women who smoked. Unlike my male friends, who were all experienced weed smokers – and proud of that fact – my female friends avoided it. I realised I couldn't share my experience with women, and was instead just having weed mansplained to me by all my male friends.

Men had always smoked weed. They knew how to do it. They always rolled the joints, they had bizarrely expensive grinders, they owned an unnecessary amount of paraphernalia. Men rapped about smoking weed, men smoked weed onscreen in stoner comedies like Harold & Kumar and Pineapple Express. Men, like everything in my life, owned it. I could partake, but I would only ever be a guest in the bro-stoner house of bongs. Although women had been smoking weed as a natural painkiller in childbirth for hundreds of years, men had monopolised the culture around it.

Cont -
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/wome...lture?utm_source=vicefbuk&utm_campaign=global

I think the commentary about public perception of men vs women with regard to drug use is on point, and I'm sure many women share this author's perspective and experience. That said, I think this article is a little heavy on unfounded blanket statements. I've known no shortage of female Cannabis users in my drug-using career, and I don't think "female Cannabis culture" was ever not a thing.

Then again I live in California, not the UK.

Last edited:
I live in Canada, and weed is pretty normal for boys and girls.

Only difference in genders, from a pot perspective, is that female cannabis users tend to smoke a lot more (or only for one reason) weed at a certain time of the month.

If the pipe in that picture has a carb shes smoking weed incorrectly to have her nails painted.... this is the problem with female drug users! *kidding obviously* ;)

I've known quite a few girls who are daily smokers and def would be considered stoners. But I def know more dudes that smoke regularly.

I think the point is there's more positive female images in cannabis culture. High Times is decidedly not enlightened when it comes to women, and that goes for most of the 420/Stoner/Rasta demographic (even California's medical marijuana marketplace is rife with the kind of imagery you would picture in a frat house). Body positive images and female-centered products/brands are definitely creating a niche for themselves where before there was none.

^ Good point. While I find 420/stoner/rasta imagery appealing, I can hardly claim to be steeped in the culture, so I wasn't conscious enough of that angle to fully consider it.

yea that is a good point. that would be a really good niche market to have. I know there are a bunch of "bud" and breakfast places, but to have a women owned dispensary that catered to that specific demographic, do some market research and you could really have a money maker, although im sure there are already plenty of those places. women in black yoga pants getting stoned, and going to pilates.

Edited because the whole thing is gibberish. Male or female smoking, don't see the difference ;) Like they have nothing better to talk about.

Last edited: