• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Withdrew from opioids after 5 years of use, almost no withdrawal.

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
I have withdrew from bupe before that was horrible. Bupe is much more addictive that most others in my opionion.

This time I decided to switch to fentanyl patches for my taper/withdrawal. When I switched from the bupe to fentanyl it was pretty rough for about a week.

Then I tapered the fent down to around 3 mcg/hour by cutting the patches to smaller and smaller sizes over a month.

When I finally removed the patches I didn't sleep and had some moderate anxiety for the first night. I am at 72 hours now since removing the patch and each day has been better than the previous. I slept on the 2nd and 3rd night pretty well.

Withdrawal was aided by using small doses of pcp which would eliminate the RLS and anxiety.

This was much easier than expected and i assume Im in the clear at this point.

Sounds too good to be true. I withdrew from subs after 6 months taking about 4mg every other day when I jumped off. It took a week for the more serious withdrawal symptoms to even start. I started getting irritable and restless after 3 days but on day 7 is when I started spending all my time in the bathroom and wishing I was dead. I ended up switching to high dose loperamide to ease withdrawal.

We're you able to get high when you switched to fentanyl? When I started WDing from the subs I tried to use heroin, oxys, morphine and NOTHING would work. The full agonist opioids even had a hard time just easing some of the withdrawal symptoms.

Let us know how you are doing in two weeks. After someone removes a fent patch medication can continue to be absorbed over a number of hours. It can take upwards of 3-4 days before you fully know how tough your fent patch WD's will be. Hopefully they will me mild. You may have possible weaned down low enough to have a very mild discontinuation syndrome but your body will still usually experience the PAWS even from the larger doses you took months ago. Wow I have never properly slept on the 2 or 3rd night after DCing even 7 mg of codeine. The WD's from a patch can take much longer to come on compared to sublingual fent lozenges.

OP, glad you kicked. I find some of the method unconventional, but it worked for you.

I will nicely ask that there is no "did you get high' questions. This thread and any other thread must be harm reduction related.

I agree that bupe can be easily addictive and therefore hard to kick.

It can be understated that I did 2 months of bupe taper down to .1 my per day followed by tapping down to 3 mics per hour of fent for another month...I felt like Shit during the entire time....worse than I do now 80 hours off the 3 mic fent patch.

I realize that dent patches have a long half life....but I usually felt like Shit even just 12 hours off of one.....and I felt worse during the first 24 hours off this 3 mics than I do now at 80 hours.

So I'm hoping that since I tapered so low I will he an exception to this rule.....I do have paws but not too bad

I'm also worried the pcp has just masked the WD even tho it was threshold doses. I hadn't had any pcp in over 24 hours and I feel fine still at 80 hrs post patch

also forgot to add Ive been having 50 mg of pregabalin before bed to make me sleep. I had been taking 300 mg per day for almost a year before this taper began and had bee ntapering the pregab as well.

Last edited:
Everyone is different, I'm happy you did not have to experience the same horrors of withdrawal (most) people have to endure. Obviously I would hope you did not take your newfound resistance to withdrawal as a reason to use again. It's interesting to hear about it though, thanks for posting.

good for you for finding a taper regimen (although somewhat unorthodox) that seems to have worked for you.

I'm surprised you've found bupe w/ds to be so horrendous, I've been through them plenty of times and have always found them about on par w/ half the level of horribleness of even the next least awful opioid w/ds I've experienced. aside from bupe they've all been pretty damn awful w/ heroin probably being the worst. but being w/o bupe is definitely the most livable of all the opiates I've w/ded from in my life -- I can even manage to functionally work a full day at a physical outdoor job in full blown bupe w/d (admittedly miserable the whole time), something that would not even be an option to be considered in w/d from any other opioid I've done.
different for everyone I guess.

I kicked bupe with heroin before. It worked, but I would wake up in WD all the time, and right when the dope wore off I would be right back in WD. Lasted about 2-3 weeks.

I kicked bupe with heroin before. It worked, but I would wake up in WD all the time, and right when the dope wore off I would be right back in WD. Lasted about 2-3 weeks.

I used heroin to taper off my subs. The only difference is once I got down to less than one bag a day I checked myself into rehab and took two months away from everything.

This is a very unorthodox method, but for me it worked. I never got high on the dope because my tolerance was so high after the bupe. I actually started my taper at 15-20 bags a day....It was rough. I can agree with the OP that you will still experience withdrawal when switching from bupe to a full agonist opiate.

also hit me up lucid,,,,havent heard from you in a while.

I was unemployed during this tapering process....the fact that I had nothing to do helped me be able to really stick to the taper and drop each successive dose. There were certain weeks in there where I was totally useless.

I'm now at 100 hours post 3 mic patch and feeling better. Still have paws.

Last night i had bad anxiety and couldn't sleep....I did intense cardio for about 30 minutes until I was about to drop and then it went away after that and I was able to sleep.