• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Withdrawling during the hollocaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lukethedaddymack1

Greenlighter
So idk if this is even worth a discussion, nor is it even a question, just a thought i had today. So we all know (or most of us) how excruciating withdrawal can be, specially opiates and benzos. I was thinkin about out of all the 6 million jews that died in that, at least SOME of them had to have been addicted to some sort of opiate. And it got me thinking about how absolutely terribly excruciating all the camps and what not. And then i started thinking about the ones that had to go through some of that dopesick, that shit gives me chills just thinking about it. Imagine being on one of those trains that they transported the jews in, so packed you have no room to move, dead of winter....and being sick as fuck. The pain that those addicts (if there were which im sure there had to be at least one) felt.....man i dont even think i could comprehend it, anyway idk just a thought i had if anyone out there hasnt thought about it

Yep, opiate w/d would have been a welcomed vacation compared to what they went trough.

yeah, i think this would suck but after 5 days or so theyd just be back in the same boat as everyone else. and i doubt all that many were shooting a g of china white a day either, though i cant say really...

im sure there were a lot of very sick jews were forced to work against their will though. with poor hygiene and living conditions, diseases spread rapidly.

Transcript of Diseases in concentration camps
Diseases in concentration camps
What types of diseases were in concentration camps and how did they affect people?
Diseases included typhus, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, and dysentery. Typhus is a disease spread by lice or fleas. Death may have occurred to 10-60% of people who had the illness. The percentage of death was much higher due to lack of hygiene, cures, and bad conditions. Typhoid fever is a disease spread through dirty water supply. It is a type of fever that is very hard to get rid of. The fatality rate of Typhoid fever was 20%. Tuberculosis is a disease that spreads in the air ,and you have to breathe it in to get the disease. Tuberculosis can cause pneumonia.
There were no working sewer systems, so wastes were distributed everywhere. The prisoners had few to no showers. There was a lack of freshwater so they couldn't bathe themselves or wash their hands. Diseases spread more frequently because there was low quality food or starvation that weakened the immunity system. There was overcrowding and close contact between prisoners so they could catch diseases easily.
Other types of illnesses
There were mental disorders that sprang up among the prisoners such as severe depression, panic, and delusional disorders. Most prisoners would usually commit suicide because of mental disorders, or loss of loved ones. They had severe anxiety and post traumatic stress disorders.
Conclusion
One of the main causes of people dying in concentration camps were diseases. Diseases included typhus, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, and dysentery. Prisoners also had mental conditions such as severe depression, panic, and delusional disorders. Disease spread frequently because the prisoners were weak and not well cared for.

yeah, missing your meds would be a drop in the bucket.

this is super-dumb.
wouldn't it be suck to be in an incredibly torturous and awful situation AND be in opiate withdrawal?
yes. yes, it would suck.

Well, I agree with OP that it is a horrific thought. The experience of being torn from your home and everything you know, shoved onto a train, abused and degraded in all kinds of ways--that's horrible enough in and of itself, of course. But to add not only the physical sickness of withdrawal but just the deep depression, the soul-sickness, the feeling of needing to escape your own skin--that would make the whole thing all the more horrendous. Because not only are you having to go through what you're going through, but it would be that much harder to muster up any kind of psychological strength. I can't think of much that would be worse than being a Jew in a concentration camp in Nazi Germany--but I have to agree with OP, that being in withdrawal would, in fact, make it worse.

I understand why you guys are being so harsh on the guy, but I wouldnt go as far to say this isnt worth discussing! From the way OPs post sounded its one of them "high thoughts". Sure its a little transgressive when you think of the fucking horrors of the overall situation.. but I dont think OP meant it to sound ignorant. I think he was smacked and thought about this and thought he'd share it! Definitely thought provoking imo.

Ad the thought could go beyond the ho,ocaust, it could apply to Vietnam soldiers that got captured and had to withdraw in a POW camp, there were perhaps many more addicts there, or sent to Siberia in Russia. I remember, and who know if it was true, reading long ago about the Soviet Union's detox method. Something like they tied the junkie to a board for a week locked in a room.

^Russian efficiency - effective and cheap. 100% success rate. Get clean or die.

Well... I don't even know what to say about this honestly. Anything that hasn't already been said..

I could be really politically incorrect right now but I'll just shove it, lol.

Edit: something about getting "baked"

I remember reading a reference once to people using heroin in concentration camps because of the bleakness (same way there's been high usage rates in decaying urban areas going back to the beginning of urban areas), but in a Google search I couldn't find anything about it again--plus I had to question how they would get it in or continue to get it once interned... maybe it was the guards supplying (but then for what in return)?

I remember reading a reference once to people using heroin in concentration camps because of the bleakness (same way there's been high usage rates in decaying urban areas going back to the beginning of urban areas), but in a Google search I couldn't find anything about it again--plus I had to question how they would get it in or continue to get it once interned... maybe it was the guards supplying (but then for what in return)?

You'd think it would have been the guards but who knows? Interesting..

Gonna have to break out the ol' ouija board and ask my ancestors..

But seriously, I had no idea people used drugs in concentration camps. Never gave it much thought actually.

Well... I don't even know what to say about this honestly. Anything that hasn't already been said..

I could be really politically incorrect right now but I'll just shove it, lol.

Edit: something about getting "baked"

Not funny. Disgusting, actually.

Cigarettes were the common currency in concentration camps. It's usually what inmates paid the guards with.

And actually I'd think there'd be quite a few barbiturate addicts during this time period. Now THAT'S withdrawal! It probably makes heroin withdrawal look like a vacation by comparison

Cigarettes were the common currency in concentration camps. It's usually what inmates paid the guards with.

And actually I'd think there'd be quite a few barbiturate addicts during this time period. Now THAT'S withdrawal! It probably makes heroin withdrawal look like a vacation by comparison

Oh man, that's terrible. I've never withdrawn from barbs but I do know it's life threatening and uncomfortable.. more so than benzo WDs. I'm really curious about this now.. time to read about it for hours, that is if I can find anything about it. OP wasn't able to..

There is always corruption in the government, prisons, etc. so the concentration camps had to have had a few crooked guards who smuggled in more than just cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.