• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Withdrawal opoids norco

SunRae

Greenlighter
Giving up Norco. Dr retired. Attitudes have changed. This will be one of numerous quit attempts. Any tips welcome. Down to 20mg per 24 hours from 40mg 24 hours. Thanks to me script. MD does not see me as pain patient but as opoid dependant. Too much hassle giving them up.
Old lady 73 with valid need and could go to pain clinic but really hope I will regain controll and be able to choice other methods of pain control.

To add I have completed first 12 hours. Been on 5mg 4 times a day for a short period of time. Covid had me switch to Tylenol 4. But due to thinking ahead have rarely missed at least 30 mg per day.

Giving up Norco.
Hi.
Welcome to Bluelight and glad to meet ya. ;)
I find it encouraging that it seems you are thinking proactively about all this.
OK. Doctor retired and replacement sees you as a junky at 73? What the hell is wrong with this freakin mania going on? We are no longer "people" but #s.
Do I have the gist of the thread? If not please feel free to correct me?
I was in the same boat a couple years ago but instead of getting "cut-off" from scripts I chose to get off the meds for pain and anxiety as I was not in a good spot after decades of use/abuse.
Besides the T4s, what else is on-hand for pain management?
Thanks,
Ptah

Hi.
Welcome to Bluelight and glad to meet ya. ;)
I find it encouraging that it seems you are thinking proactively about all this.
OK. Doctor retired and replacement sees you as a junky at 73? What the hell is wrong with this freakin mania going on? We are no longer "people" but #s.
Do I have the gist of the thread? If not please feel free to correct me?
I was in the same boat a couple years ago but instead of getting "cut-off" from scripts I chose to get off the meds for pain and anxiety as I was not in a good spot after decades of use/abuse.
Besides the T4s, what else is on-hand for pain management?
Thanks,
Ptah
You've got it! This 30 day space will be another reduction. I also hope to cut out a dose. First pill. Lots of pain on awakening in the morning. Yesterday was a good day. Took ibuprophen small dose of Valium. Total Norco 7.5 milligrams. It wasn't hard to take 30 day breaks or significantly reduce dose 3 years ago. It is more difficult now because pain issues greater and every other problem has progressed from mild to moderate. Too, tapper is an alien concept. Smoking: I quit cold turkey. Opiods and opiates are a whole other animal. I believe the drug is in control when even a small dose is being ingested. Today I have been trying to convince myself 2.5mg is as effective as 5mg.
It is also freaking out this new doctor that I have told her the urinalysis may show Valium. Valium is listed as current with drugs, but I have not had a prescription filled in a year. I had refills when the government started pushing the insurance Companies to do soft edits. So when the writing was on the wall, I went ahead and discontinued the medication, but I have a good supply. I also briefly got a clonidine for hypertension. So I have, on hand any drug I would need to take. But REALLY
should not need this kind of ammunition for a 40% habit easily tapered down to %20 per 24 hours. I am in the enviable position of initially, at beginning of tapper, having comparatively low drug levels. My main remaining issues are finding pain relief and getting past the fatigue caused by lack of hydrocodone. And the feeling I have that I got to have it. My goal is to quit. Take control of that aspect of my life. Or pain clinic, get rid of this doctor. She diagnosed me not as chronic pain patient but opoid dependent.

Note To clarify my last post: the dose I took for 5 years was 10mg 4 times a day. The new doctor cut it 50% down to 5mg 4 x's a day. I have just begun cutting dose by another 50% down to 2.5mg 4 x's. Which I have read can be the most difficult at the lower level so I may consider a less than 50% cut.

Another thought. I have been working on this since end of June, 3 full months. A combination of Covid and my wonderful generous doctor retiring. I knew he would be hard to replace.

Another thought. I have been working on this since end of June, 3 full months. A combination of Covid and my wonderful generous doctor retiring. I knew he would be hard to replace.

I am also a chronic pain patient and I am SO fucking pissed off for you. This war on chronic pain patients needs to stop. You are 73 and were stable on your medication.

If I lived close to you I would take you to find another doctor, one that would acknowledge you as the pain patient you are, and not as opioid dependent. that's bullshit!! Sorry your Dr. retired. Go to a pain clinic, dump this judgmental bitch. It's your right to be treated fairly, stand up for yourself. Take someone else with you if you can.

Here for you anytime @SunRae ,
Ash.

I am also a chronic pain patient and I am SO fucking pissed off for you. This war on chronic pain patients needs to stop. You are 73 and were stable on your medication.

If I lived close to you I would take you to find another doctor, one that would acknowledge you as the pain patient you are, and not as opioid dependent. that's bullshit!! Sorry your Dr. retired. Go to a pain clinic, dump this judgmental bitch. It's your right to be treated fairly, stand up for yourself. Take someone else with you if you can.

Here for you anytime @SunRae ,
Ash.
Thanks for the advice. I may take it😊

Thanks for the advice. I may take it😊
I was on pain management for four years then got locked up for thirty days and upon release when I went to make appt was told my ins was no longer accepted and so started a fifteen year love affair with lady H but a lil over ten years ago I quit cold turkey, was a horrible four days but was surprised that's all it was. I still have not quit the cigarettes so to me that says something, you can do it once you get it in your mind what you're willing to go through to beat that burden you carry. I wish you good luck and if you ever need to conversate with someone that's done it for a lil encouragement feel free to contact me and we can speak all you want. I'm brutally honest and won't sugar coat anything for you cause to me that's just helping you find a reason to not take the steps you need to get in the proper mindset and accomplish this difficult road trip to reach the new life you hopefully desire.

I was on pain management for four years then got locked up for thirty days and upon release when I went to make appt was told my ins was no longer accepted and so started a fifteen year love affair with lady H but a lil over ten years ago I quit cold turkey, was a horrible four days but was surprised that's all it was. I still have not quit the cigarettes so to me that says something, you can do it once you get it in your mind what you're willing to go through to beat that burden you carry. I wish you good luck and if you ever need to conversate with someone that's done it for a lil encouragement feel free to contact me and we can speak all you want. I'm brutally honest and won't sugar coat anything for you cause to me that's just helping you find a reason to not take the steps you need to get in the proper mindset and accomplish this difficult road trip to reach the new life you hopefully desire.
Congrats on defeating one habit...the H. I know about cigarettes because in 1986 I quit. I am not sure the same rules apply to tabbaco that apply to opiods. I had been a 20 year 1 plus pack a day smoker. I toyed around with quitting for at least 10 years. It was a very difficult experience. With tabbaco I learned that even one cigarette a day made me hooked. The take away from that was- if even a small amount of drug is in the system the body or mind, craves it and the drug is in control. I can only begin considering myself free if there is none in my system. I also had to avoid fellow smokers and activities associated with smoking - like a cocktail or cupbof coffee. Tappering is a bad idea. I also have a history with alcohol and benzos. With those the same rules applies. Although if memory serves me, neither habit was as difficult to break as the cigarettes habit.
It is medically necessary to taper benzos because of seisure and muscle spasm potential. But with some of the longer half life drugs the drug kind of self tapers.
So how do opiates and opiods figure in this scheme of things? So far I have not reached the point of wanting to give them up. At this point I have not accepted that I have dependency problem. Which is reinforced by the small daily dose I take. Reinforced by the so called, medical need.
I can operate on an intellectual level but still be hung up emotionally.
The bottom line is that even if I can continue to find a way to get the drugs I want and need to quit! I do not like pissing in a cup. I am so resistant I may not even be able to give them a urine sample the next time one is required.
And I will quit taking pain medication,---Very soon :)
Thanks for your reply. Any advice you can give or me about things you learned in quitting is welcome.