• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Withdrawal Nightmares

024liakam

Bluelighter
Anyone else have vivid nightmares during opiate or benzo withdrawal, if you can even sleep? Im going thru very mild withdrawals of both and have had nightmares for the past 2 days I got sleep.

I remember when i first tried gettin off heroin, i had the worst dreams. I dream in color so these were very bright. Violence and destruction and choas. They really disturbed me so much so that i asked one of the counselor at the rehab i was at about them. He said that it was just part of the wd. They went away but damn they were fucked

Yeah exactly^, last night I had one where a homicide investigation team approached me and said they had a warrant for my arrest for a murder, it was so fucking real and vivid. It was so weird because in the dream I was talking to a buddy about 'the murder' and he knew who did it and the name of the person who was murdered and they framed me for it and I started having a panic attack in my dream, closest way I can explain the feeling it was pure terror and hoplessness.

Imagine living life normally like everyone else in society just a normal day, then the next second a homicide team walking up to you and instantly cuffing you for a murder you did not commit on sight, out of no where and instantly realizing your life is basically over, absolutely nothing you can do about it.

It was a mixure of panic, terror, hoplessness, insane anxiety, and confusion. I did take 10MG of melatonin lastnight too though so that could have also played a role

Last edited:
Im not sure if they would have an effect. I think its the body just being agitated and not have its medicine. Tryin to align itself right again.

when I'm in opiate withdrawal and going through PAWS I have persistent drug dreams and lots of dreams in general ...wouldn't exactly call them "nightmares" just dreams centered around drugs though there is the occasional nightmare. I can easily see how some may be plagued nightmares in that situation though.
not exactly related but when I'm w/ding off the SSRI viibryd (vilazodone) I get damn TERRIFYING hypnogogic hallucinations and nightmares. =/
geodon gives me nightmares.
sleeping w/ a nicotine patch on gives me a massive amount of extremely vivid dreams which can sometimes be nightmares.
got slightly off topic there sorry.

when I'm in opiate withdrawal and going through PAWS I have persistent drug dreams ...wouldn't exactly call them "nightmares" just dreams centered around drugs.
not exactly related but when I'm w/ding off the SSRI viibryd (vilazodone) I get damn TERRIFYING hypnogogic hallucinations and nightmares. =/
geodon gives me nightmares.
sleeping w/ a nicotine patch on gives me a massive amount of extremely vivid dreams which can sometimes be nightmares.
got slightly off topic there sorry.
Ur good brother yeah they arent always nessacarily nightmares but weird, vivid, and irrational dreams that have potential to go bad. Funny you mentioned drug dreams too, I also had a one lastnight where I stole abunch of 80s and roxi 30s from this dude I follow on instagram who I dont know at all (weird right), his always uploading pictures of them. I was staying at this dudes place and we did some together an afterwards he hid them and I saw where, so he passed out and I went an grabbed em, then suddenly im at my house in my backyard just standing, for some reason I tried calling him but he blocked me. Weird shit, unbelievably real

Last edited:
Opiates and benzos supress REM so it's "rebound REM." Same concept as withdrawal. Your body is overcompensating for the REM that isn't supressed. Mix in a bad mood and nightmares are a given.

To the post above a couple, yea, things like Melatonin will give you those really bizzare out there dreams like that.

People might want to try Prazosin. It is a beta-blocker high-blood pressure medication and they give it to Veterans for PTSD nightmares, and people in general that have bad dreams. It works by supressing adrenaline or something like that.

Great thread. When I went through rehab, a girl, who was a ex heroin addict, had to take dream suppression drugs. I'll have to ask my doctor about that.

Great thread. When I went through rehab, a girl, who was a ex heroin addict, had to take dream suppression drugs. I'll have to ask my doctor about that.
Hm thats interesting, a cousin of mine and friends who use opiates/benzos also had weird/bad dreams while detoxing. My cousin said he woke up in sleep paralysis to a 'demon' screaming in his face and another where he swore he died and said everything flashed before his eyes and saw a bright light at the end of a tunnel. He smoked an 1/8 of tar a day and anywhere between 4-15 bars, quit cold with the boi. It got so bad he started hearing voices an shit too but they stopped once the use stopped. Ive had OBEs while withdrawaling too like 3 total

I don't have 'nightmares' per se but I have dreams about using, and this never stopped even 4 months clean. I always wake up just as I'm drawing a shot up or whatever. Never fails. Actually one of the reasons I relapsed in the past.

Yes definitely . I've been IV user blk tar on and off mainly on for 4 years whenever I'd stop like even recently I'll have super realistic dream that I'm cooking up a shot with friends I stopped hanging out with and it made me freak out that I relapsed and that I'm hanging out with them and than I wake up freaking out that I relapsed still thinking it was real takes me a few minutes... It's usually dreams about the drugs or something I regretted during the drugs that haunts me . Also I've had school dreams like I'm in college but high school dreams of old friends catching me in high school with H on me in my dream and I start crying or we go on a high school trip and all I think in the dream is how I'm gonna bring some to not be sick and freak out until I wake up. It's always related to guilt and using yes :( I've had those dreams 3 nights in a row while using benzos and opiates daily together id nod off and still get gnarly dreams always about guilt

Basically when your high or drunk to the point you pass out you don't dream.the longer you go without dreams the more you will dream when you finally do get to dream.thats what was explained to me

Hm thats interesting, a cousin of mine and friends who use opiates/benzos also had weird/bad dreams while detoxing. My cousin said he woke up in sleep paralysis to a 'demon' screaming in his face and another where he swore he died and said everything flashed before his eyes and saw a bright light at the end of a tunnel. He smoked an 1/8 of tar a day and anywhere between 4-15 bars, quit cold with the boi. It got so bad he started hearing voices an shit too but they stopped once the use stopped. Ive had OBEs while withdrawaling too like 3 total

he heard voices on heroin??? is that what you're saying or am I misunderstanding? I've never heard of that happening.

I wish I can actually sleep when going through withdraw. When I tried to get off heroin and thought I had enough suboxone... my last 2 nights of withdraw I had pretty fucked up dreams... like shit I would wake up and be terrified for a second until I snap to reality

he heard voices on heroin??? is that what you're saying or am I misunderstanding? I've never heard of that happening.
Yeah while on it and occasionally while he wasnt high on it , and me either he said they would start whenever he would begin nodding off. It started when he started doing 1+ grams a day and a bunch of xanny bars at the same time. When he got clean it started slowing down. I asked him the other day "do you still have schzio episodes and shit?" He said "no it was from doing too many drugs" he was doing meth quite a bit too to stay awake, so 1-3.5Gs of tar, 4-15 bars, and meth all at once. And thats what I know who was using, who knows what else he was doing.

It was actually scary while I was with him during the episodes. He would say shit that would make zero sence and repeating himself over and over saying "NO I CANT DO IT" and really odd things that would make you very uncomfortable. He acts nothing like it now.

I kind of feel like it was xanax withdrawal and meth together. If he didnt have alprazolam in his system shit got bad and mixing that with a meth comedown..

Last edited:
For months after I stopped using oxys and Xanax I had nightmares about my best friend's suicide. He actually committed suicide in real life by using a .38 to the temple. I was trying to stop him but I was unsuccessful. I have PTSD from it but the nightmares while I was in WD were the worst. They were so vivid it was like experiencing the whole thing over again every night. My girlfriend felt so horrible for me. I would wake up screaming at the top of my lungs, thinking I was covered in blood. I would run to the bathroom and start washing the blood off me before I realized it was a dream. It was so horrible. Eventually it stopped but every once and awhile I'll have a bad dream about it.

For months after I stopped using oxys and Xanax I had nightmares about my best friend's suicide. He actually committed suicide in real life by using a .38 to the temple. I was trying to stop him but I was unsuccessful. I have PTSD from it but the nightmares while I was in WD were the worst. They were so vivid it was like experiencing the whole thing over again every night. My girlfriend felt so horrible for me. I would wake up screaming at the top of my lungs, thinking I was covered in blood. I would run to the bathroom and start washing the blood off me before I realized it was a dream. It was so horrible. Eventually it stopped but every once and awhile I'll have a bad dream about it.
Damn man. Im sorry for your loss and all the torture you went through I wouldnt be able to cope with anything after that. I can sort of relate too, my cousin whom im speaking about above is my best friend and he tried to commit suicide with a .22 but it jammed and told me about it the next day and I was furious as fuck. Not really relatable with you witnessing it happen which I cant even imagine man. But it did haunt me for awhile, always worrying and imagining the worst and constantly stressing about it whenever he wouldnt respond to texts or calls, that alone made me breakdown. I never was withdrawaling around that time but it wouldve been horrible if I was. I shouldve caught on though. the day before he told me "if anything ever happens to me man, just know im a lot happier and I dont want you to cry or be sad about it" it hit me hard, I didnt say anything I just looked at him. I didnt know what to say.

Last edited:
Yeah while on it and occasionally while he wasnt high on it , and me either he said they would start whenever he would begin nodding off. It started when he started doing 1+ grams a day and a bunch of xanny bars at the same time. When he got clean it started slowing down. I asked him the other day "do you still have schzio episodes and shit?" He said "no it was from doing too many drugs" he was doing meth quite a bit too to stay awake, so 1-3.5Gs of tar, 4-15 bars, and meth all at once. And thats what I know who was using, who knows what else he was doing.

It was actually scary while I was with him during the episodes. He would say shit that would make zero sence and repeating himself over and over saying "NO I CANT DO IT" and really odd things that would make you very uncomfortable. He acts nothing like it now.

I kind of feel like it was xanax withdrawal and meth together. If he didnt have alprazolam in his system shit got bad and mixing that with a meth comedown..

ah meth too. I'd bet it was mostly the meth.

Wow. I've never had too bad an experience with these - I'd either find it impossible to sleep during acute w/d or when I finally did manage to fall asleep, my dreams and nightmares were about the same as they always are, just somewhat more vivid, making recall easier.

Perhaps the only negative thing I can remember is the return of a nightmare I used to have as a child - I had the ability to fly, but halfway through would be accosted by an unknown assailant, at which point I'd try to flee only to find that I suddenly can't fly, can't throw punches (basically paralyzed), and would wake up just before the unknown assailant "killed" me. Probably a good deal of psychological stuff going on there.

I also remember one nightmare in which I had a huge amount of heroin on me, was smoking it very freely in public, and got arrested for it. That one really sucked while it was happening but I was really stoked when I woke up and I was in the safety of my own room.