• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Social Withdrawal effect--acid reflux?

BourbonMac

Bluelighter
Yeah so, I've had increasing problems with this lately.
I've had to quit due to sinus issues, even edible form can cause a headache. However, my headaches have SIGNIFICANTLY improved and I'm really thankful for that. Haven't had any THC for 8 days now but generally for the past month I've barely consumed anyway.

But that's beside the point. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I know it's not the only factor and that antibiotics and a messed up diet for a month have as well. But my diet was already pretty inconsistent before. I'd barely eat at work, come home, eat dinner, get stoned, eat half a box of cheezits and a bunch of poptarts. Not a great diet, but never had any stomach issues, took regular, healthy shits.

Anyway a few weeks ago I'd been regularly taking some 5-10mg gummies and I wasn't having any issues with acid reflux and whatnot. Initially I had stomach cramps beginning of the month but that was unrelated. That was 100% related to lack of eating and taking too much kratom, got me constipated as hell, but there was no heartburn or anything. Took care of those cramps/constipation with good ol' miralax.

So on the 15th, I went to a party, had a 40mg edible, later on a vape rip from someones pen. I had a killer headache that I thought was from the edible but it was likely from ripping a friends nicotine pen, like one of those mods that makes huge clouds. I don't normally, but I like to test his flavors out occasionally. Giant rips of that are likely what triggered my headache that night.

But yeah, for days after that I was able to eat way more than usual and no reflux issues. It seems like quitting weed had started messing up my stomach. Since I consider that worse than headaches, I'm honestly probably going to start consuming small amounts just to see what happens. My headaches have improved a ton lately and I'm not using pain meds anymore. I don't know why they got so much better, but my ENT said flonase would peak in effectiveness around 6-8 weeks and I'm mid 6th week. But I'm interested to hear from others about this. It seems like a decent likelyhood for me that this is at least partially related.

Last edited:
^^^ aàargh my eyyyezzzz

Do you think your headache problems could be due to you using bright yellow fonts?

Anyway glad your headaches are getting better but I'm not sure what your question is. Are you asking if THC can cause headaches?

Your stomach issues are likely due to past diet and possibly the past opioid use if anything.

Your gut bacteria is probably all out of balance. Take some probiotics, yogurts, healthy non-processed food and you might be surprised how quickly your stomach feels normal agian.

Having munchies and eating cheetos and poptarts every day would mess up anyone's stomach. This is most likely the cause rather than some symptom of withdrawal.

For me, personally, high sugar content as well as irregular eating schedule seems to be the #1 cause of any acid reflux.

Last edited:
Lol I used the yellow because I'm using bluelight black and it's easier to read. You could always just highlight the text but yeah I forgot it might be unreadable to those on default

i had gerd pretty badly, went away when stopped drinking lots, snorting poison. tons of ways to get gut healthy, i never did this before but took a swig of baking soda/water recently. heard it can be a quick fix and sure stopped my burn

we all know thc can help stomach pain but it didnt help mine, weird i focus on pain when i get high. i wanna do alot of stretching

Yeah I can definitely attest to noticing pain more while high. It's basically why I stopped, I'd focus in on my headaches more and it would depress me a lot and kind of burn the high.

Your stomach issues are likely due to past diet and possibly the past opioid use if anything.

Your gut bacteria is probably all out of balance. Take some probiotics, yogurts, healthy non-processed food and you might be surprised how quickly your stomach feels normal agian.

Having munchies and eating cheetos and poptarts every day would mess up anyone's stomach. This is most likely the cause rather than some symptom of withdrawal.

For me, personally, high sugar content as well as irregular eating schedule seems to be the #1 cause of any acid reflux.
So you're saying yours got better?
I was on some antibiotics last month that seemed to irritate this more than anything. It all started around there. I became too paranoid to eat really and that made me not eat at all on some days. Today was one of those days since it's been so bad :/ it was randomly way better until I got to work, but I was wearing really tight pants and that probably didn't help. I'm taking prilosec for now because nothing else has helped. Tums help for like a half hour or something if I'm lucky.

I was normally good with any food though regardless of sugar or carbs or whatever, but I'm also pretty underweight (if that matters). Even more after I lost like, 10 pounds over the holiday and dropped to 120 at 6"1 (I'm usually 135). Skipping meals at work and walking like 5 miles a day on top of that didn't help. I had some healthy physical habits but my diet was not one of them.

Been eating probiotic yogurt but I think it's made some things worse. I don't consume very much dairy. Not lactose intolerant but more I stopped drinking milk years ago and typically just don't come in contact with it that much. Maybe a coffee with skim milk at most, I only drink almond milk now and water 85% of the time. So I think my stomach hasn't been agreeing with it. I picked up some probiotic almond milk yogurt though and I have capsules.

One thing that's weird is how sometimes eating makes it go away. Usually at dinner. Sans the other night when I wolfed down waaaaay too much macaroni and cheese and way too fast. But I had a lighter meal last night of eggs, raisin toast, potatoes, 2 sausage, and the acid I had before went away. Mostly last month when this was milder, I'd have it during the day and not eat much, then eat dinner and it would go away completely. My munchies late at night are a big indicator that I just don't eat enough in the morning or during the day.

So you're saying yours got better?
Absolutely! I used to eat mostly processed foods, typical American diet. Combined with years of alcohol it really did a number on my stomach.

I changed my diet well before I ever got off the booze and noticed a huge difference almost immediately.

There could also be once specific part of your diet which is causing it.

Maybe I'd suggest starting a journal of what you eat and when and compare it to when you have acid reflux.

Have you tried medication for it?

One thing that's weird is how sometimes eating makes it go away.

This makes sense as eating would temporarily lower the pH of your stomach, but an hour or two later your stomach makes more acid and it comes back.

Also, have you ever had an ulcer?

Never had an ulcer, no. And usually it doesn't come back after my evening meal if I had it prior in the day. Which makes me think a general lack of food helped cause this.

As for medication I'm currently trying a 2 week course of prilosec. I was supposed to start another antibiotic for my sinuses but I'm putting it off because I'm not trying to wreck my gut any further. It also apparently can have adverse reactions with PPIs. There isn't even a confirmed infection, my ENT is just like "oh if you're having more headaches you're probably more infected" smh... like at least test for it before you decide to put me on some of the most dangerous antibiotics like cipro or clindamycin.

Headaches have been doing a lot better anyway. I could care less about those at this point, I just want to be able to eat like I used to. I can't think of anything specific that sets it off. I can down a whole pizza for instance and be completely fine, even now. Strangely when I had severe IBS as a kid induced by anxiety, pizza was one of the only foods I could tolerate, and that's generally the opposite for almost anyone. But I know coffee will mess me up good, chocolate in general is not agreeing with me lately. And I haaate that because I love both. I don't know if I should avoid coffee itself or just caffeine, because they do make some nice sparkling caffeine drinks. sometimes I just need something at work when I'm dragging

Today was my 3rd day of prilosec, hard to say if anything has changed, but yesterday was my worst day by far. Hot flaming fire acid from hell pretty much all night. I at least confirmed THC wasn't the cause of this, but then I got the munchies and ate food before bed and... you guessed it. Burning throat this morning and I could straight up taste the acid.

At least I think. I used my flonase before bed too. I'd only eaten a 10mg edible but it was enough to get me a little high and have the munchies. I hadn't really eaten that much though. Few bites of a tuna sub and some cheezits, an almond milk yogurt and a special K bar which is pathetically low in calories. I had only eaten a bowl of cereal the entire day though so I was starving. Before that bowl of cereal I was actually fine though. My only guess is that because I was wearing overly tight jeans around my waist, it helped bring on more heartburn. I usually hadn't been wearing that pair. I just made the decision to eat it too damn late and I knew I'd be up till past 4 since I was snowed in from going to work today.

It does seem like specific dairy related foods can make my throat extra phlegmy after I eat though. This seems to be somewhat common but still. I never really thought about it much in the past. I'd often just hawk it up, go smoke, and that'd help me hawk up even more. Eating too fast might not help either, I tend to do this and I need to focus on slower, smaller bites and chewing more. I had a couple fries with half a tuna sub tonight and at one point I choked a little on some fries because I swallowed them before they were fully chewed. Really bad habit of mine.

Last edited:
My friend who is a polydrug addict who is now completely sober had this. He said how if he did not smoke pot he would feel extremely sick, and he could not eat unless he had smoked pot.

I wouldn't say it's that extreme, I'm 28 and haven't puked since I was 11, on or off cannabis.
I made this thread hoping that I could find an answer, but it seems to me that this is only a small fraction of what's been causing my stomach issues.

I've continued to just eat through it and do a course of prilosec and things are improving.