• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Withdrawal after Relapse

kris10cat

Greenlighter
I went through a grueling 3 days of withdrawals from heroin. I was using 2G per day for about 3 weeks prior to withdrawal. I completely screwed up today and relapsed. I snorted 1G of heroin. Will I go through the terrible withdrawals again just from a single use??? I am also on Suboxone, so how long should I now wait before taking my Suboxone again? I feel so guilty and am miserable over my recent decisions. I need to get back on track and am scared to death right now.

If your on suboxone then you will be fine. Just wait until your withdrawals are unbearable and take the sub. Don't feel guilty. This is a battle you will conquer when you are truly ready.

Taking the suboxone when/if you start feeling bad withdrawal will make you feel better. But I’m wondering, in the 3 weeks you were using heroin, were you not taking any suboxone? If you weren’t, a lot of it will have left your system over the 3 weeks, and you may be able to just cold turkey the heroin for a couple days and then be 100% clean off of both substances.

But you would have to decide, depending on your situation, what you need and what’s best for you. If you were taking the suboxone for withdrawal, at this point maybe you go cold turkey? But if you depend on the suboxone to keep you off heroin and you use it for maintenance, maybe it’s best to stay on it. Just something to think about because being off the suboxone for this long would be a good opportunity to just stop.

I’ve been on suboxone for I think 2 and a half years now and would love to be 3 weeks off. That was actually one of the options I was considering to get off them. To have a month of doing just enough heroin or another short acting opiate to keep me not sick, not to even get high. Meanwhile let the suboxone leave my system, and then cold turkey the heroin or just use small amounts of sub for like 3 days to take the edge off. Unfortunately I don’t have the money to binge on opiates for a month. And I probably don’t have the self control to stop either. Which is why I’m on suboxone and in the situation I’m in anyway lol. I’m sorry for the rambling now, I just wanted to put that out there that maybe you don’t have to necessarily get back on the subs. But you’d have to decide if that’s a good or bad idea for YOU.

I was not taking the Subs while I was using. I completely get what you are saying, I would love to not be on the Subs, but I think I need to stay on them or I will be right back to using heroin or pills again. I just dont knke that I can mentally or physically go through withdrawals like I did this past week. I swear, I thought I was going to die. In fact, I would have rather died than to experience what I did. The most miserable time of my life. That's why I am just SO incredibly disappointed in myself once again. I went thru 3 days of pure hell just to start back at square 1. I am hoping that maybe the withdrawals wont be quite as bad this timd since I just used 1 time today??

Use the subs to ease your WDs and then taper off the suboxone. If your not ready to get completely free of substances then maintain on your subs. I will tell you I've been through both sub and IV heroin withdrawal and heroin was more intense but the sub withdrawals took longer to get over. This is just my experience.

I’m sorry you’re suffering. Don’t give up, if you are determined to get off H then stay on that course. If you think that the cravings will be too much for you then stay on the subs, there’s no shame in it.

The longer you’ve been using the less time your body takes to get reacquainted with the drug and the worse and quicker the withdrawals will come on. The amount of time varies for different people so it’s hard to say if 1 day of use will put your body into withdrawals. If you do use H again just please don’t underestimate how much your tolerance drops, always start low if you’ve had time off of opiates.