• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Windows 11 Anyone?

If I start a session instance, would you pop in and help me out, pretty please? x

I absolutely can not believe how hard it is to simply allocate an extra 30gb to my now full 27gb debian root directory.
Gparted

You just need to create unallocated space somewhere, don't bother with doing it via fdisk etc

Partitioning is such a bitch that it's worth learning and using LVM just to take the pain out of it. Extending a partition is easy with LVM, and so is making CoW snapshots, which is very nice to have. It smokes the backup functionality of Winblows by all measures - speed, drive space, and time

Gparted

You just need to create unallocated space somewhere, don't bother with doing it via fdisk etc

I tried a gparted live usb, and also gparted on a linux mint live disk.

You have to move the partitions around. And they can't be mounted so its best to boot into something like Ubuntu on a USB key and use partitionmanager to modify the partitions then reboot

Yes this seems to be the problem. I have a 1tb NVME strictly for Debian and it keeps saying the root is full:

Sudo df-h (thanks to someone out the bl discord):
[sudo] password for debiansignum:
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.2G 1.7M 3.2G 1% /run
/dev/nvme1n1p2 28G 25G 1.7G 94% /
tmpfs 16G 7.5M 16G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 12K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
efivarfs 128K 32K 92K 26% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
/dev/nvme1n1p4 859G 22G 793G 3% /home
/dev/nvme1n1p1 511M 5.9M 506M 2% /boot/efi
tmpfs 3.2G 120K 3.2G 1% /run/user/1000

It's not even full now but I freed up some space: seems to be that /dev/nvme1n1p2 which I'm assuming is root.

I took 30gb out of that massive 793gb home partition, tried leaving it unallocated, formatting to ext4, etc etc - I simply can not allocate that to to the pesky /dev/nvme1n1p2. Why?! Is that because the next partition is swap, then home, then the unallocated that I assume is at the end of the hard drive or something?
Partitioning is such a bitch that it's worth learning and using LVM just to take the pain out of it. Extending a partition is easy with LVM, and so is making CoW snapshots, which is very nice to have. It smokes the backup functionality of Winblows by all measures - speed, drive space, and time

You know, I read so many comments about LVM when installing debian, but I thought I'd play it safe and just stick to the defaults - bad idea.

@Buzz Lightbeer - would you be willing to jump on debian and assist with gparted?

Or shall I just reinstall debian with LVM? How do I image/backup my w11 (seperate) nvme, as I can not be bothered with the bootloader corrupting again!

Thanks everyone.

Ahhhhhh the answer to most things digital.
Use to be on that site daily for a few years.
Awesome.
👍

I absolutely love mydigitalife. I love how they are just obsessed with subverting windows, whilst still using it. Kings of man.

If the empty space on the disk isn't right next to the partition you want to expand you can move the entire partitions so that you move the free space next to the one you want to expand

If the empty space on the disk isn't right next to the partition you want to expand you can move the entire partitions so that you move the free space next to the one you want to expand

I was thinking this was it. Can I just delete the swap partition?

How much ram do you have and what do you usually do with your computer?

Oh urrr... nothing much officer, just browsing websites and such like.

I have 32GB RAM
1 2TB NVME Windows 11
1 1TB NVME Debian 12 KDE Plastma
Ryzen 3700x
AMD Radeon 5750XT
Asus Rog Strix B550 MB

I use it for music production, listening to tunes, gaming, bluelight, droooogs, etc etc.

If you have 32gb ram and not messing with VMs, as long as you don't have 2 billion chrome tabs open at once you are probably safe to delete swap

You can also create a small "just in case" swap after moving around your partitions and make it only like 8gb

See this is my issue. / (root?) is 27GB and full. I've just had a nightmare freeing up enough space for discord for someone to help me

Okay so I deleted my 977mb swap and suddenly I could increase root by 977mb.

What's with partitions needing to be in order to work? How can you move the order round?

Either way, Debian won't boot after that, so it looks like im reinstalling in the morning.

Whats this about lvm avoiding such problems?