• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Computing Windows 11 Anyone?

that's actually super cool!
it does have a lot of stuff windows 7 does not but the lack of control of what goes in and what goes out (even if it is limited) is a deal breaker with me. when i installed windows 7 i wouldn't plug a usb anything until i had disabled a bunch of shit. lol it fought to remain but ultimately lost.... and is gone with disdain. rip
not worried about "security" issues as there is nothing to get. i do not run antivirus/malware on my laptop or any device. haven't for years. gotta know how/where to hide ya shit. ;) if ya have any, that is.
i still want to run it in a VM and will soon. disposable is where it's at. the more "features" i find native and coming out the more i want to test drive it.
unless i hit the jackpot (i dont play, so....) it prolly never happen

@arrall have you had any issues related to your microsoft account? I keep getting random "there's a problem with your account" and a few widgets randomly freezing or not loading, it seems to be having hiccups on the first time I try to play with stuff, but then seemingly works afterwards (knock on wood)

just curious
have you tuned it completely off and back on again since "upgrading"?

i hate glitches. despise them.
seems a lot is glitchy these days i notice it. apps, POSs, printers, tvs, everything now i guess it will become a normal (or has) and just be acceptable. maybe it's good that we accept "faults"... wouldn't have to try so hard at coding and tolerances

@arrall have you had any issues related to your microsoft account? I keep getting random "there's a problem with your account" and a few widgets randomly freezing or not loading, it seems to be having hiccups on the first time I try to play with stuff, but then seemingly works afterwards (knock on wood)

just curious
No, but I did do a factory reset before upgrading.

I just upgraded an hour ago

It is indeed more aesthetic but honestly I've never felt so underwhelmed

I'm tempted to just erase disk and install Linux

you should - do it while you can before you don't feel like doing it later

didn't you say you were going linux some time ago

you should - do it while you can before you don't feel like doing it later

didn't you say you were going linux some time ago
Well I'll probably always feel like it since I miss the command line

I've already got an installation flash drive ready to go

And yes I was running Parrot home edition on a Windows Vista era laptop but decided to try Alpine and during the command line installation I fucked up lol and wasn't even able to log in after the installation was complete

So I bought a Chromebook lol and was using that for the last 2 months until my Windows laptop arrived the other day

Microsoft: "There is a problem with your Microsoft account, please reinstall windows to resolve this issue"
There was a reinstall before I left SC with an older "client". Had this same smell of words.
Thinking of going back to XP SP3. Fast and reliable ime. Have it on a desktop multi boot OS but no room for that. lol
Guessin irl I will use what I have and this wretched mobile bullshit.
They lockin us in, fam. Aint havin it.

There was a reinstall before I left SC with an older "client". Had this same smell of words.
Thinking of going back to XP SP3. Fast and reliable ime. Have it on a desktop multi boot OS but no room for that. lol
Guessin irl I will use what I have and this wretched mobile bullshit.
They lockin us in, fam. Aint havin it.
Why on earth would you want to use an OS that doesn't receive updates?

Why on earth would you want to use an OS that doesn't receive updates?
I do not let anything "update" anyway. I may pick and choose what to update but dont see the need for it. I do very little online and what I do do online is of little interest to others who may wish to intrude in others goings on. ;)
Its all scare tactics to get everyone on the same page IMO.
All is well. For decades I have been behind the tech curve and nothing untoward has transpired. Just nuts and bolts OS for me.

it's a plate of shit no matter what you choose.

the sooner you pick one, the sooner you can clean your plate and start enjoying some pie.

I do not let anything "update" anyway. I may pick and choose what to update but dont see the need for it. I do very little online and what I do do online is of little interest to others who may wish to intrude in others goings on. ;)
Its all scare tactics to get everyone on the same page IMO.
All is well. For decades I have been behind the tech curve and nothing untoward has transpired. Just nuts and bolts OS for me.
Consider Chrome OS?

It's a basic stripped down OS which has come a long way since its release in 2011

Consider Chrome OS?
Ah, but this new shit is all just malware scraping info. All of it.
Data: I am starting to think I am getting a little understanding of the why. It's prediction of what may be "needed" from an individual so the product/service can be created to fill that "need". MFs tryin to look into the future by reading the past. Pretty fuckin slick IYAM.
I want my mountain.
I can see Imma be alone in this sans animal(s). Hope I live to see that day. :cry:

Ah, but this new shit is all just malware scraping info. All of it.
Data: I am starting to think I am getting a little understanding of the why. It's prediction of what may be "needed" from an individual so the product/service can be created to fill that "need". MFs tryin to look into the future by reading the past. Pretty fuckin slick IYAM.
I want my mountain.
I can see Imma be alone in this sans animal(s). Hope I live to see that day. :cry:
As if Microsoft doesn't collect a ton of user data

Chromebooks don't even allow software to be installed so they're probably the most secure computers on the market

As if Microsoft doesn't collect a ton of user data
Oh they do and been at it for a while.
I like the older OSes cause there is some semblance of control of what goes in and out. Simple firewall rule(s). Today on a smart phone one has to disable a "sharing" aspect - one of many - of "owner" device (not you) in several places and data still leaks out. It's fuckin nuts. lol
It's not gonna be stopped I do know that. I have an issue with authority so naturally I try to make em work for it.
What happened to all that "legislating" the reining in of collecting data? hat a joke. They (the lawmakers of many countries) just didn't understand the algorithms. :LOL: Some countries may have taken this collection of data seriously and may have stopped or minimized the collecting but these corps will do what they wish. Aint no stopping it unless we unplug, power goes out or its burn to the ground. I aint startin no fires just wanna clear this up so they aint gotta come lookin for me Imma nobody with goals of enjoting the last few years we have fuck babylon got no more time to be studying on it but the takes one to know one I will find a crack to slip through and hide in. ;)

The last incarnation I actually felt in control of was Windows 98. Vista was quite pretty and 7 did the job.

But I fuckin hate Windows 10 and god forbid what 11 is like...