• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will taking hydrocodone/oxycodone affect my Lexapro?

WishfulThinkin

Bluelighter
I hope I’m posting this in the correct forum.
I’ve been taking Lexapro 40mg as prescribed for depression/anxiety since July. I missed an appointment a couple of weeks ago so for about a week and a half, I’ve not been taking it.

To help me deal with the mental and physiological effects of withdrawing from the Lexapro (and because I begged him to let me try one), my boyfriend introduced me to Vicodin. I believe they were 30mg pills. The most I took was maybe 2 in a 24 hour period, nothing major. After a few days, I guess he ran out of those and got Percocet instead. (And he told me they were the same thing, which isn’t true right? One is oxycodone, one is hydrocodone.)

Anywho, the opioids made me feel a little better but today I will be able to get my Lexapro script refilled. I told myself that I’d stop taking the opioids once I got my medicine but now I’m like.....hmmm. I kinda still want to take them. What, if anything, will happen if I continue taking the opioids as well as the Lex?

I normally take my Lexapro when I wake up (noon-ish). If I’m taking the opioids, I usually don’t have one until late in the evening. And I end the night with 25-50mg of Seroquel, also as prescribed.

You should be fine. They do not interact with each other.

Now opioids like tramadol would be a different story with Lexapro, since they both affect serotonin receptors. but hydro & oxy is just fine.

Right, no interaction I’m aware of. I’m guessing you’re referring to 30mg IR oxycodone pills? Because actual Vicodin only comes in 5/500 or maybe 7.5/500mg hydrocodone/APAP. So unless I’ve misunderstood you probably took oxycodone both times. And yes hydrocodone and oxycodone are different- lots of folks call blues (30mg oxy IR) “Percocet 30’s” which isn’t accurate since Percocet is Vicodin and Lortab’s counterpart, which usually come in 5mg or 10mg oxy with 325mg acetaminophen.

Anyways I’ve experienced withdrawal symptoms from SNRI’s and they are extremely unpleasant. The symptoms of stopping Pristiq/Effexor cold turkey is absolutely nightmarish. Just be cautious using oxycodone or any opioid. You like it because it makes you feel freaking good. That’s what they do, and it’s very easy to fall into habitual use and dependency.