• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Will switching to 1:1 CBD/THC reduce tolerance at all?

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
I read that switching or “cycling” to high-CBD strains for a few weeks can help lower your tolerance when you switch back to THC only strains. Although most of what I read said to use CBD domaint ratio like 4:1 with CBD being the higher one. They said to smoke that for a few weeks would have a benefit in reducing tolerance.....
BUT what if you have never smoked CBD before? If I have never smoked CBD before would trying out a 1:1 ratio or possibly 2:1 CBD dominant ratio be enough?

I have smoked flower daily for approx 2 years now but they have been THC-only strains. Also for the past few months I tried out those pre-filled vape pen cartridges (500mg THC only) for the past 6 months or so.

I have taken CBD oil spray (1.3mg per spray) for the past 2-3 weeks. But prior to that I have never taken CBD (in any form ever) so CBD is brand new to me and my brain/body. So I was wondering then since I am not used to CBD if switching to something like a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio would still have any benefit in reducing tolerance? Even if only a milder benefit?
As I assume for someone who’s never smoked CBD before (THC only) that even a 1:1 ratio would produce a much different high. So I assume that any ratios too high in CBD I wouldn’t get much effects from (getting high) as am only used to THC by itself.

Last edited:
When I go on a tolerance break, I'll usually stop using THC all together and replace it with CBD only.

The CBD helps with some of the withdrawal symptoms by helping me sleep better as well as relieving my anxiety.

Salutations ColoradoBoy90,

...“cycling” to high-CBD strains for a few weeks...

The prospect of maximizing some roller-coaster pattern by switching between 2 extremes hardly sounds appealing, i look forward for your future observations.

...smoked flower daily... ...tried out those pre-filled vape...

Honestly this sounds like another bad idea as there's much more opportunity to flirt with abusive doses using e-Cigs, while smoking is bad enough.

...benefit in reducing tolerance?

There was a time when i also needed to "T-Break" frequently, not anymore. Gaining control over dosing proved most beneficial in terms of tolerance, while experimenting with CBD seemed to be more about appreciation of the experience. YMMV.

In any case i'm totally convinced that the consumption profile shapes one's profiles as a result of the associated ritual. Though it may require to be prepared for some trade-off 1st.

Good day, have fun!!

No shit, holy basil cut my tolerance to 1/5 of what it used to be and has held it there

ive switched to a 1:1 distillate vape cartridge (im well aware of the dangers and we have contracted a group to make the distillate for us) and in the evenings a 1:1 hard candy. but that's taking both cbd and thc at the same time. my tolerance is high but the buzz is perfect for daily life. Ive never switched to a cbd only strain for a time. Ive only smoked it in addition to my normal cannabis. We call the 1:1 ratio the green ratio.

But I imagine if you don't intake any thc then your tolerance may go down. overall cannabinoid tolerance may stay high?

So in my opinion tolerance won’t raise so long as you switch strains often and don’t dive to deep into concentrates maybe maxing at 1-2 dabs a day. I find it’s concebtrates that always cause the problems. Sticking just with cannabis flower allows for a more complex experience that when switched often never seems to raise tolerance too much.

Just my opinion, I’ve been down that road and I’m grateful I got my use of concentrates to a minimum.

-GC

So in my opinion tolerance won’t raise so long as you switch strains often and don’t dive to deep into concentrates maybe maxing at 1-2 dabs a day. I find it’s concebtrates that always cause the problems. Sticking just with cannabis flower allows for a more complex experience that when switched often never seems to raise tolerance too much.

Just my opinion, I’ve been down that road and I’m grateful I got my use of concentrates to a minimum.

-GC

in the past I would have totally agreed with you. Recently though (past 3-4 years lol) ive noticed that my concentrate experience (usually pressed rosin) is way more consistent and enjoyable than flower, making it easier to medicate. I enjoy flower, but its honestly easy (well not exactly easy, but happens more often than concentrates) for me to get too stoned on even mid grade flower. So im gonna guess that tolerance isn't much of an issue. I prefer to get used to a certain strain for a bit, though

^^It is consistent, but that’s the problem... Any drug that’s too consistent will have the user gaining tolerance. Generally concentrates have less varied composition between each other than different flower strains do, making tolerance grow much faster.

If you want to stay with concentrates I’d move towards products with higher terpene content and more varied cannabinoids like live resin of different strains for the increased variability. Sticking with any product too long and you’ll get sick of it, flower or concentrate.

As to your original question though, I have inadvertently brought my tolerance down during times of using mixed CBD and THC flower like your suggesting. But I myself prefer the method above of using lots of different products to keep tolerance low over this method which is almost a tolerance break of sorts.

-GC

Quick question would me mixing my cbd and thc flower be causing my tolerance to stay the same id like to keep maybe a quarter of thc flower for nighttime and occasions but I noticed I can barley smoke 4:1 cbd :thc ratio without the paranoia kicking in. That being said would I just be better off smoking straight thc flower.. well vaporizing it and then using cbd to mitigate the paranoia. Cause I have no clue what my actual thc intake is

Gchem I agree with most of what you said. ive been blessed enough to have access to a superior rosin product, compared to some of the flower in my area. for my personal use I prefer to go with what I know, and enjoy it that way. knowing what to expect as I get older is comforting I guess.

funeralfather are you getting anxiety with cbd flower mixed into your full alkaloid flower, but not from thc primary flower? i would expect the opposite.

I get anxiety from thc for the first few weeks unless until I get use to it. But I haven’t tried just thc flower alone just yet. Kinda don’t want to, unless it would be easier to measure out my dosage with a pax 2 by just filling chamber with straight thc flower and just hitting once or twice.
Gchem I agree with most of what you said. ive been blessed enough to have access to a superior rosin product, compared to some of the flower in my area. for my personal use I prefer to go with what I know, and enjoy it that way. knowing what to expect as I get older is comforting I guess.

funeralfather are you getting anxiety with cbd flower mixed into your full alkaloid flower, but not from thc primary flower? i would expect the opposite.

What would you think or do? I just wanna have something I can feel enjoy the light effects of I have noticed after the initial rush I can consume more thc flower

man honestly I like the cbd flower. smoke cbd flower at the end of my day, before sleep usually. I really really like the equal amounts cbd:thc distillate. keeps me at my best all day. personally, my tolerance goes down quickly over a couple days if I don't smoke anything. To the point that I sometimes get too high lol. So I try to keep an even consumption. If I were you, I would use a 50% thc flower and 50% cbd flower in your joint. Unless I misread your post the cbd flower (I get industrial hemp basically grown for cbd its less than .3 % thc. depending on if your in a legal state the high cbd flower may contain an average amount of thc also, so maybe look for only cbd or cbg flower (I recommend cbg flower. awesome apetite and mental clarity. I might do a thread on this once I can and have more research finished)

edit: ok I did miss your first reply. thanks

having that anxiety is why i feel most comfortable keeping an even intake and thus tolerance. i reccomend finding an only cbd strain to even the potency of your thc strains. mix and match until you find what gets you comfortable. if you cant find a cbd strain id do exactly what you did and eat a cbd gummy before you smoke. For the longest time after an environment induced panic attack on lsd a month after coming off opaites, i could only smoke a tiny bit of weed without getting anxious. i eventually worked through what was causing anxiety in my life and started to enjoy cannabis more than ever have. now i appreciate that i have cannanbis strains for any time. wake u with cbg stay high all day on thc/cbd 1:1 and go to bed with only cbd. it works for me and hope it helps.

Last edited:
So you would just recommend trying things until I find my level? I’m thinking about finishing this mix cbd/thc I got and loading up with thc tonight cause I don’t wanna be paranoid during the day I’d rather do it at night when I can sleep it off I love cbd flower by itself but I also got a quarter of thc flower just sitting there
man honestly I like the cbd flower. smoke cbd flower at the end of my day, before sleep usually. I really really like the equal amounts cbd:thc distillate. keeps me at my best all day. personally, my tolerance goes down quickly over a couple days if I don't smoke anything. To the point that I sometimes get too high lol. So I try to keep an even consumption. If I were you, I would use a 50% thc flower and 50% cbd flower in your joint. Unless I misread your post the cbd flower (I get industrial hemp basically grown for cbd its less than .3 % thc. depending on if your in a legal state the high cbd flower may contain an average amount of thc also, so maybe look for only cbd or cbg flower (I recommend cbg flower. awesome apetite and mental clarity. I might do a thread on this once I can and have more research finished)

edit: ok I did miss your first reply. thanks

having that anxiety is why i feel most comfortable keeping an even intake and thus tolerance. i reccomend finding an only cbd strain to even the potency of your thc strains. mix and match until you find what gets you comfortable. if you cant find a cbd strain id do exactly what you did and eat a cbd gummy before you smoke. For the longest time after an environment induced panic attack on lsd a month after coming off opaites, i could only smoke a tiny bit of weed without getting anxious. i eventually worked through what was causing anxiety in my life and started to enjoy cannabis more than ever have. now i appreciate that i have cannanbis strains for any time. wake u with cbg stay high all day on thc/cbd 1:1 and go to bed with only cbd. it works for me and hope it helps.

any particular reason you react to cbd with paranoia? you may be the first person I know of that's said that. AFAIK cbd is the most anxiolytic. to me they are perfectly synergistic

Cbd flower no problem just think I’m sensitive to thc.
any particular reason you react to cbd with paranoia? you may be the first person I know of that's said that. AFAIK cbd is the most anxiolytic. to me they are perfectly synergistic

oh ok. I totally got that backawards lol sorry about that.

with that new info I would try a 3:1 ratio. say maybe you smoke the 3/4g cones. 1/3 of a gram of the thc strain and 1/2 gram of the cbd strain. your mileage may very

personally ive been smoking my local cbd strains with some good unpressed hash on top and its been great.

Yeah idk. I’ve tried ratios and some seem to work if I put a very small amount with tons of indica strain cbd but it’s like any hybrid or saliva based gets me thinking to much I also am a follower of Christ.. young at that so I’m not perfect in my ways and I feel a conviction every time I get high like it feels like my spirit is saying don’t do this so I may just have to stick to cbd flower cause I don’t get that with that I get calm and happy and it eases it but I don’t drink and occasionally I take Oxycodone or valiums but not all the time and they clear that anxiety but I’d like to stick to just a thc flower cbd mix because it’s a lot more healthy but I guess I’m just going to have to find my dosages. Cause it’s like when I do vape it the first 30 mins are anxiety bound but after that I can start to add a lil more or maybe it’s just my body saying I don’t need to do this. I work on music and it gives me the best high
oh ok. I totally got that backawards lol sorry about that.

with that new info I would try a 3:1 ratio. say maybe you smoke the 3/4g cones. 1/3 of a gram of the thc strain and 1/2 gram of the cbd strain. your mileage may very

personally ive been smoking my local cbd strains with some good unpressed hash on top and its been great.

^Interesting comment. I’d put myself in the same boat. Personally been cutting back recently for both similar and different reasons. I don’t think smoking is necessarily wrong (idolizing or letting a substance control your life is different) but I also think the degree of use and how much cognitive function you give over to it matters.

i.e. drinking isn’t a problem but drunkenness is. That said, I’ve heard and seen some wickedly unexplainable things when it comes to supernatural and spiritual warfare and I think being under the influence makes you more susceptible to that realm.

Ultimately I don’t want to take away from that voice, just my thoughts and they aren’t necessarily correct. Keep on it dude

I'd just like to stop in and say that, while CBD is wonderful in addition to a plethora of other cannabinoids present in a strain, mother FUCK CBD-dominant bud. It looks pretty, it smells great, but when you smoke it you end up going through 6g in a single session wondering just what the fuck is the point of it all.

idk man, I can see how people might want to smoke it for non-psychoactive reasons, but if you're goal is to get high or to shut down your anxious thoughts like me, CBD weed is just the worst, man.

I say this with an open mind, by the way, as I really enjoy CBD sublingual tinctures/drops. They don't get me high but they definitely have a slightly calming effect on the mind and a loosening effect on the body, with the added benefit of tasting a mouthful of weed with each administration. I'm also bitter and jaded due to a recent experience with CBD weed that I'm still trying to recover from in more ways than one, but thankfully nothing related to my health.