• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Will Someone Please Explain this Rampant Hateful Aggressive “Gnostic Christianity” to Me?

Atomic_Decay

Bluelighter
While the poor fellow is on yet another temporary ban I thought I’d contribute to @gnostic Bishop’s evangelical one-man war on the world’s billion or so Christians by starting a thread to explain what he describes as the best religion ever invented - Gnosticism or Gnostic Christianity as it is sometimes called, although its links to Jesus Christ are not necessarily integral to it’s beliefs and practices. I’m kind of writing this out to get the facts straight in my own head, so I can argue better with old GB if/when they let him back in.

I am not a Christian myself and I do not go to church - so this isn’t personal justification. I just get irritated by people who use fake history, outright bullshit, and ideology to slander groups they hate on the internet. Feel free to add anything you additional information you like and correct any errors I make (there will likely be a few)

For the purposes of clarity, when I refer to ‘Christians’ in what follows I am talking about mainstream organised religions - not small independent non-denominational or evangelical churches/sects/missions such as you often find in the US. Christians here means essentially:

1. Early Christians - who were also often also Jews or Greeks of various religious and philosophical sects/groups - who began to form the proto-Catholic Church. This is the period of AD 33-AD 313 (when with the Edict of Milan, Emperor Constantine made Christianity officially legal and thereafter the de facto official religion of Rome.

2. The Catholic Church. Many people today forget or never knew that the ONLY Christians from the 2nd to 11th centuries were effectively ‘Roman’ Catholics. In the 11th Century the Great Schism occurred and the Eastern Orthodox Church split from the Roman Church. It is during this long period that the Roman Church debated doctrine and dogma and determined what was official and what was heresy. Consequently there were groups from to time time - sometimes backed by political power/kings etc - who called themselves Catholics/Christians but who held views that the offical Church did not endorse. These groups were either brought into the Church, expelled from Catholic regions, or occasionally imprisoned or executed.

3. Catholics Vs Protestants (beginning with Lutherans): in the Reformation during the 16th Century in Europe many groups abandoned Catholicism due to longstanding doctrinal and political concerns and denied Catholicism was the only legitimate form of Christianity. These groups eventually coalesced into the main Protestant churches (Presbyterian, Episcopal, Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist and Wesleyan). This is effectively who I mean by modern-day Protestant Christians.

It is vitally important to recognise that making totalising claims about ‘Christians’ - such as GB does when he (endlessly) says “the Christian God is a genocidal homophobic misogynistic monster” is really pointless and intellectual barren. Christianity has ALWAYS been in a state of flux as it faces diverse ideas and either incorporates them or itself fractures along doctrinal lines forming new churches/factions/sects etc.

It is also vitally important to recognise that “Church” and “Christians” are not the same thing. The “Church” is the institutional body that controls doctrine and dogma. “Christians” are people who identify as being members of a Church but who accept and practice the rules of that Church to varying degrees. For example: the Catholic Church says contraception is a mortal sin, yet every Catholic woman I’ve ever fucked (and there are many) was on the pill. Similarly, Methodists are required to tithe 10 % of their income to their Church - but many do not and cheat on their tithing just like they do on their taxes.

Next Issue: Defining Gnosticism

Stay Tuned.

“the Christian God is a genocidal homophobic misogynistic monster”
:ROFLMAO:
That sounds like a "topic" GB would bring up.
But honestly, I feel that this descriptor would better fit those who lead the "church" of "christians". Or any other organization. It is wise (I heard) to observe the fruit of a tree as it will define it's genre. There are many trees that may appear to be a Maxipiñon, but at closer inspection they are in fact a different species.
xMmRHiq.png

The fruit. ;)
Great points made in post will follow for interest sake.
Wonder what GB done did now? Gotta go see.... lol
One

The guy that called himself a gnostic probably have some .....aaaaaa problems mildly say.Gnosis mean knowledge.He quotet Origen,which was a christian scholar whom teaching was banned in a first canon period in fourth century in Nicea.Dont remember what was debate(must look in the books),but this was declared heretical by orthodox church.May be something connects with the nature of Jesus Christ or Holy Trinity.In that period there were too many christian denominations,which lately became hereticals by official recognized church like Roman-catolic and East Orthodox.There was qatars,maniheist,varlaamits,nestorians,arians,adamits and so on,which claim to have a certain devine knowledge about the nature of God.Most of this are originated from my country and here they call it bogomils,which means "dear,close to God".They have different view at eschatology,different structures,dont believe in cross like a symbol or the icons and images of God.Pretend to be pure christians.Same as martyrs of fate that romans throw to the lions.This is very interesting topic and the fragments of apocryphical gospels are really amazing and turn all the conception of official church heads down.The problem is that this guy for me could not be christian,cause i cant see any love and compassion in him.On the contrary-judgment and hate.What a christian is that?....but this is a free zone-BL despite that he is banned...lets beat his drum and shout.Everyone knows that Christianity means Love,Forgivness,Faith,Hope....but the Love came first.So he is not a gnostic christian for me

:ROFLMAO:
That sounds like a "topic" GB would bring up.
But honestly, I feel that this descriptor would better fit those who lead the "church" of "christians". Or any other organization. It is wise (I heard) to observe the fruit of a tree as it will define it's genre. There are many trees that may appear to be a Maxipiñon, but at closer inspection they are in fact a different species.
xMmRHiq.png

The fruit. ;)
Great points made in post will follow for interest sake.
Wonder what GB done did now? Gotta go see.... lol
One
The guy that called himself a gnostic probably have some .....aaaaaa problems mildly say.Gnosis mean knowledge.He quotet Origen,which was a christian scholar whom teaching was banned in a first canon period in fourth century in Nicea.Dont remember what was debate(must look in the books),but this was declared heretical by orthodox church.May be something connects with the nature of Jesus Christ or Holy Trinity.In that period there were too many christian denominations,which lately became hereticals by official recognized church like Roman-catolic and East Orthodox.There was qatars,maniheist,varlaamits,nestorians,arians,adamits and so on,which claim to have a certain devine knowledge about the nature of God.Most of this are originated from my country and here they call it bogomils,which means "dear,close to God".They have different view at eschatology,different structures,dont believe in cross like a symbol or the icons and images of God.Pretend to be pure christians.Same as martyrs of fate that romans throw to the lions.This is very interesting topic and the fragments of apocryphical gospels are really amazing and turn all the conception of official church heads down.The problem is that this guy for me could not be christian,cause i cant see any love and compassion in him.On the contrary-judgment and hate.What a christian is that?....but this is a free zone-BL despite that he is banned...lets beat his drum and shout.Everyone knows that Christianity means Love,Forgivness,Faith,Hope....but the Love came first.So he is not a gnostic christian for me

That’s always been the problem for me with GB - he doesn’t claim just to be a ‘Gnostic’, but to be a ‘Gnostic CHRISTIAN’. Yet, based on everything I’ve ever learned about Jesus - he expected his followers to live the values of love, compassion, and forgiveness. That’s abundantly clear in each of the Gospels and also in the various epistles from Paul and John. Then he comes on here, using selective distortions of the bible, and endlessly shits all over every Christian in the entire world and denies any of them have any redeeming qualities - despite redemption being the core of Christianity.

If he said he was an atheist and then proceeded to shit all over the Christians I wouldn’t be bothered so much. But I didn’t really want to make this thread an ad hominem sledge directed at GB. That might get me temp banned as well. Instead I just want to set the record straight on what Gnostic Christianity actually is and people can make up their own mind whether he is an exemplary representative of that faith system.

apocryphical gospels
love it. that shit is dope imo :rockon:
Love,Forgivness,Faith,Hope
Can it allways be "good" or "positive"? It would def need a miracle for that to happen. TBH it kinda seems pie-in-the-sky to me. Didn't the christ endure hate, judgement, doubt, pain and fear like the rest of us?
Just thinkin it out is all.

I don't actually know much about it though, my only real encounter with it is Gnostic Bishop, but I try not to let that denigrate the whole thing. I know there are the "gnostic gospels" which were found with the dead sea scrolls (?) which seem to predate most of the other Jesus-related texts, and which paint a rather more psychedelic picture of Jesus' teachings, more of a "we are all a piece of divinity" message, which I assume is what informs the Gnostic Christian faith.

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume he truthfully represents the entirety of people thinking of themselves as Gnostic Christians, I think he is a very poor representative. My guess is that most people calling themselves that are less consumed by a need to convince the world themselves that they are ethically superior to everyone else.

I don't actually know much about it though, my only real encounter with it is Gnostic Bishop, but I try not to let that denigrate the whole thing. I know there are the "gnostic gospels" which were found with the dead sea scrolls (?) which seem to predate most of the other Jesus-related texts, and which paint a rather more psychedelic picture of Jesus' teachings, more of a "we are all a piece of divinity" message, which I assume is what informs the Gnostic Christian faith.
Here is what is what i have .A little fragment of these apicryphical gospels.Amazing stuff-Gospel of Mary Magdalen,Gospel of Thoma,Gospel of Peter

I want to say something about this God described in Bible. Have you guys ever read the Old Testament?
I have listened OT as audiobook about two times as a whole. You really can't dig that God after that.
How GB describes It, "genocidal homophobic misogynistic monster”, is exactly what I thought about afterwards.
And there's no way to intellectually explain it away, the whole OT is just slaughter for petty reasons, or for vengeance, jealous and hate.

I want to say something about this God described in Bible. Have you guys ever read the Old Testament?
I have listened OT as audiobook about two times as a whole. You really can't dig that God after that.
How GB describes It, "genocidal homophobic misogynistic monster”, is exactly what I thought about afterwards.
And there's no way to intellectually explain it away, the whole OT is just slaughter for petty reasons, or for vengeance, jealous and hate.
Yes God describe in the Bible is horrendous,jealous,homophobic and so on.A fearful thing.But we have and a New Testament that you can see the other face of God...like love,mercyful,emphatic,non judgemental,nice and in human nature God-Jesus Christ....and there is strong connections between Old and New Testament...all this old prophets that had visions and predict the born of Messiah...Well that is science in it too-bibliography,history and archeology,ethymology and so on connected with this.

No doubt. Of course the NT god and Jesus (which is, after all, what Christianity is supposed to be believing in, Jesus preached against the OT in many ways) paints a different picture.

Last edited:
Since when do we make threads and disparage other members beliefs. Or say " fuck that guy " and try to figure out why he might have gotten an infraction.

I like to pop in here every now and then but I am always disappointed when I do.
The thread was not made for that purpose. Per the OP it was intended to collect and post objective information about what Gnostic Christianity is. This is so people van understand the position from which GB is launching his endless attacks on Christians in general and numerous individual BL members on particular.

It is not an attack on GB - however he unambiguously describes what he despises as Christianity, but misrepresents it enormously. In doing so. It is though an attack on his views/argument/position.

I intended the thread to be essentially a history lesson but I got distracted for a few days and didn’t get to add the second educational post before. Lots of others chimed in and took us in another direction.

The thread was not made for that purpose. Per the OP it was intended to collect and post objective information about what Gnostic Christianity is. This is so people van understand the position from which GB is launching his endless attacks on Christians in general and numerous individual BL members on particular.

It is not an attack on GB - however he unambiguously describes what he despises as Christianity, but misrepresents it enormously. In doing so. It is though an attack on his views/argument/position.

I intended the thread to be essentially a history lesson but I got distracted for a few days and didn’t get to add the second educational post before. Lots of others chimed in and took us in another direction.
Yeah...I used the wrong words when I said " make" threads. That implied it was the OP. What i SHOULD have said was " since when do we derail threads with nasty comments" but I was having an off day I guess.

Mea Culpa. No offense intended.

I just gotta throw in my 2 cents' worth here.

The Old Testament God was definitely vengeful, petty, misogynistic, homophobic, xenophobic, hostile, and downright psychotic.

While the OT and the NT are certainly connected, Jesus seemed to be expressing a different way of honoring God: love, mercy, forgiveness, etc. True Christians understand this. I am not a follower of ANY religion, but I respect true Christians. Sadly, they are few.

I've lived in the Bible Belt for over 60 years and I've met thousands of alleged Christians. True Christians I've met I can count on two hands-- and have a couple fingers left over.

I've met thousands of alleged Christians. True Christians I've met I can count on two hands-- and have a couple fingers left over.
tell me about it - I'm not a christian but then probs much moreso in many ways than most who identify as such

I have one, ONE, friend who I reckon is a bona-fide christian. Cos of that, she is the only person I ever send a christmas card to