• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will my orthopedist deny me painkillers if he noticed i was in kratom withdrawal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Ok, this is kind of just my anxiety disorder getting the better of me (I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder as defined by my psych) but I have a neck issue which could possibly be a herniated disk which I saw an orthopedist for today.

I've had many injuries in the past and been prescribed opiates (Oxy and Hydro) by other doctors which I have never abused.

I was even recently given some by my primary but he gave me so few that when I ran out I needed to turn to Kratom for the pain (lets hope it stays legal...fingers crossed...).

So I had used some 2 days in a row prior to my first meeting with the orthopedist today but hadn't used today, so I was feeling a bit "foggy" and "groggy" as happens when I use a couple days in a row and don't use the next day (mind you, this was for pain, not recreation).

So I signed the form before going in and noticed all the consent agreements you have to sign, that if they give you pain meds you won't abuse them, etc etc.

Then I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror and noticed my eyes looked glazed from two days of Kratom use...but I may have just looked tired.

I had a great conversation with the doctor, it turned out we had some common interests, and I was 110% HONEST about my level of pain, that it has been MUCH better lately, that I only usually need a couple Aleve and Tylenol to make it through the night, but that previously I'd been in a lot of pain.

I didn't EVER ask for an opiate, didn't EVER come off as "drug seeking", or even mention that the last doc had given me some Oxycodone, only that he'd given me prednisone.

He scheduled an MRI for my neck and a follow up visit when we will determine if I just need physical therapy or surgery (GOD FORBID i need neck surgery...*fingers crossed*).

But here's my worry:

That IF I DO end up either needing surgery, or even if not, if my pain starts getting really bad again and I NEED pain pills because Kratom is made illegal, that this doctor will have been able to figure out from my glazed look and kind of generally "out of it" demeanor that I'd taken an opioid in the past couple days, and therefore, consider me "a possible drug user" or "drug seeking", even though I NEVER asked for anything or exaggerated my pain level, and decide NEVER TO EVER prescribe me a single pain pill even if I need it in the future.

I know that these doctors are VERY adept at the signs of a "drug abuser" and while I do use the Kratom for pain, I can't deny it also gets me high, and that I've used other drugs, and that if you were looking for the signs of someone who *MIGHT* abuse a drug, you *MIGHT* be able to perceive them in me.

***I should also mention that I listed that I take Klonopin (it CAN be safely mixed with low dose Oxy despite concerns) and that I have generalized anxiety disorder and depression and answered HONESTLY that I SOMETIMES use alcohol and I'm concerned that those signs of "mental illness" and occasional alcohol use might also dissuade him from prescribed me opiates.***

I've never been on file as being denied pain pills or having any addiction, again, I was given them 2 weeks ago, and have a long history of almost a combined year of access to them through FOUR major surgeries, and I'm still alive, so I must not have abused them too badly, and what I'd have going for me is that in the medical group I belong to (it's a whole network of doctors), 3 separate ones have all prescribed me Oxycodone, Hydrocodone and Dilaudid without issue, and this doctor would be able to see that through his computer, so I'd ASSUME that might make him trust me more???...)

But please indulge me guys: do you think that ONLY from the "glazed look in my eyes" and my generally "cloudy" mindset (I may have stumbled over my words a few times) that he will consider me drug seeking and be entirely unwilling to prescribe opiates if I need them in the future???

Thanks

Last edited:
It's a little difficult to make a prediction about a doctor I've never met but glossy eyes and some word stumbling seem pretty far down on the list of intoxicated behavior. He probably talked with several people that day that had a cold, didn't get enough sleep, are fighting with a friend/ spouse, etc. I don't even think mytrangia speciosa is tested for, at least in any clinical setting so stressing out over it is probably worse than any physical symptoms you might have shown. I would bet the conversation you had left the biggest impression on your doctor as the glossy eyes can be explained by something as trivial as pollen.

As far as possible surgery goes the surgeon would be the one prescribing pain meds and they are fairly reliable. Albeit taking benzos can be a hurdle with some doctors as they will lean towards a more conservative dosage of pain meds. I used to worry about my doctor after coming up positive for methadone on the 2nd urine test he ever gave me but I told him it had been 36 days since my last prescription and I didn't want to reschedule so I took 2 10mg methadone pills from a girlfriends father on day 33. He replied with "that was a good idea because we are all booked up". I nearly fell off my chair at the reply. The nurse looked at me funny as well but I left with 4 months worth of scripts for oxycodone 30's. So I guess it depends on the doctor ultimately but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

Truth? You're fine. It's your anxiety talking

No doctor is going to skip prescribing you pain pills that you will need after surgery (or due to worsening condition) because you *may* have had glazed eyes. If he even noticed (doubtful), you could be tired, you could have lack of sleep, you could be upset about something.

You didn't even ask for pain meds at that visit! You were prescribed them a few weeks prior with no issues. Think about that, from an objective standpoint.

Nothing in your post would lead me to believe you acted in any way to cause the extreme action of being refused painkillers. You're just being anxious/paranoid. No offense. (But it reminds me of when someone buys dope and then thinks every cop car he passes is watching him or is about to pull him over or knows what he did. Lol...they aren't psychic!)

Anyway, I think you're just looking for someone to tell you that it's fine. So I did. I'll say it again: you're stressing yourself out over absolutely nothing. It's all fine, and if you need painkillers in the future they will prescribe them.

Z
Now, really, work on that worrying. I read somewhere that 95% of the things we worry about/lose sleep over are things that will never happen. So basically, most worries aren't even reality....they are an invention of our own mind. Once you realize that, you can eliminate much of your stress...

The only way he would deny you is if you stupidely volunteered the fact your coming off kratom. Most medical professionals would look at anyone coo coo for admitting doing kratom,at least how I would see it, it all looks like secret society addict chasing behavior if that makes sense. It sucks man I know..I'm in the same boat

It's not possible for us to read your doctor's mind and guess as to whether he will prescribe you meds in the future. We can share our personal experiences though. I tend to agree with above in that this should not be a problem especially since you said tylenol and naproxen are helping you now. I wish I could tell you not to worry but to some in the medical field, alcohol use is a red flag. I have a family member who likes to drink scotch and when asked, he said yes he drinks a few times a week. Further down the road, it had been misconstrued that he drinks 2 pints a day. Needless to say, the doctor wouldn't give him any valium.

I wouldn't worry Kratom isn't a drug it's from the coffee family. Deny any use. If they test you the k won't show up anyways

Kratom isn't a drug it's from the coffee family.

Both kratom and coffee are drugs. And kratom is an opioid, it's actually quite a bit "harder" than coffee. . . coffee doesn't have nasty physical withdrawls quite like krarom does.

And mycophile... you really do worry too much. It's not a crime to be bleary-eyed and slow, there's a hundred and one reasons you could be that way apart from drug usage!

The only way he would deny you is if you stupidely volunteered the fact your coming off kratom. Most medical professionals would look at anyone coo coo for admitting doing kratom,at least how I would see it, it all looks like secret society addict chasing behavior if that makes sense. It sucks man I know..I'm in the same boat

You may or may not be right about most medical professionals looking at you crazy if you tell them about kratom use. I think it really has to do with how you present it. If you say something like 'by the way, I have opioid tolerance because I take kratom. Can I get an increase in dose?' they'll probably immediately flag you as an opioid abuser/addict. If you explain, referencing scientific studies, why you use kratom and it's medicinal benefits, theyll be alot more understanding. It also helps to have a doctor that has more pharmacology background, because they'll be more aware of how shitty some pharmaceuticals can be, and they're more likely to be well-versed in natural alternatives.

I think it mostly boils down to how much research you've really done and how you present your use to your doctor. But of course, it's still somewhat of a crap shoot with their response.

And I also think OP is just worrying too much about it. It sounds like your anxiety is talking.

I wouldn't worry Kratom isn't a drug it's from the coffee family. Deny any use. If they test you the k won't show up anyways

What the fuck?

We really don't like to discuss how to deal with medical professionals in regard to obtaining controlled medication, no matter how "innocent" or "deserving" of the medications the patient may be. We're not here to manipulate in any way people's relationships with their prescribers.

For that reason, I'm closing this. How deftly you're able to handle this situation is based upon much more than just Harm Reduction. If anybody or other Moderators disagree with my rationale, I'd be happy to discuss it.

Status
Not open for further replies.