Will my involvement in bluelight hamper my character and fitness investigation?

AmorRoark

Bluelight Crew
So as I've stated in other parts of the site I just started law school this week. We also just had a presentation from the clerk of the Kansas Supreme Court about the process of Character and Fitness investigating. I was wondering if there was any way my involvement with bluelight as a moderator or any of my posts would hurt my investigation process three years from now? Would it vary state by state? Is this a ridiculous scaredy cat 1L type of question?

I think it's scaredy-cattiness. Worth considering, but probably just that in the end.

How could they find out about it? Is there a way they could connect your BL identity to your RL identity? I know your pic has been on here - do people recognize you from BL who you've never met in person before?

This character and fitness stuff is typically based on two things: (1) dishonesty -- and by that I mean having stolen, cheated people out of money, been sued repeatedly for fraud, etc. -- and (2) having a criminal record. I don't see that having participated in a harm reduction website could cause you to be accused of either of those.

If you've admitted to using illegal substances in your posts, they would still have no proof of that actually happening. What if you were exaggerating your history just to be cool? What if that was your roommate posting on your account? I don't think they have the time, resources, or inclination to go on a witch hunt.

Then again, I don't know how Kansas does things. In California, they couldn't do something like this. They wouldn't have enough proof, and they can't spend that much time on any one applicant to the bar.

Last edited:
...How would they ever know you had anything to do with this site, behind your anonymous username, without accessing your computer or the servers on which BL operates??

If they find out you listen to Donovan, you're in BIG trouble... ;)

UnfortunateSquid said:
...How would they ever know you had anything to do with this site, behind your anonymous username, without accessing your computer or the servers on which BL operates??

^^^Thats exactly what I was thinking.... how in the hell would they ever find out about your activities on Bluelight unless you volunteered this information 8) [be nice, Mr. Hatter-- tobala]

Last edited by a moderator:
^by searching for someone's name perhaps. not everyone has common names. a quick google of my first name used to pull up BL threads. with a few clicks, its pretty easy to see that it is indeed me.

Thanks for the advice everyone (albeit rude in some instances).

I have a pretty common first name so that shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if they interview friends/family but I doubt they'd ever mention it anyway.

I guess I won't distance myself after all. ;)

Ames, I can think of several BLers (in different countries, including the US) who've obtained Top Secret security clearances. Which are surely more detailed than what you would be going through. I suspect Johnny1 is 100% right.

One way you could test it would be to Google (etc) your name and see if anything dodgy or BL-related pops up. It also wouldn't hurt to be careful not to refer to drug use - but I don't think you generally do. BL is, after all, a social site as well as a drug one, and we don't all use drugs.

I just did a google search of my name and all that came up with an Ayn Rand Institute essay contest I won when I was in high school and my involvement with Phi Alpha Theta, a history honor society. So I think I'm okay. Derrr... thanks everyone. :eek:

My last name is fairly unusual, but putting my name into google comes up with bugger all.

Facebook et al are the real killers. Imagine a prospective employer or somesuch dropping your name into google and getting back 50 pictures of you looking twatted and the knowledge that you're a member of the "I <3 drugs" group! :D

AmorRoark said:
I was wondering if there was any way my involvement with bluelight as a moderator or any of my posts would hurt my investigation process three years from now?

Almost certainly not. Have a look at a state bar application for the state or states where you are thinking of applying. The tough questions are usually along the lines of "Have you ever been subject to academic discipline?" and "Have you ever been arrested?" Even if the answer to either of these is "yes," this is still not a disqualifier, if you fully disclose and confess to everything. The biggest thing that bar admissions are looking for are liars. The old line is that you can be murderer and get on the bar so long as you haven't defrauded anyone.

^ Haha! The honest answer to both of those questions is "no", so I'll be sure to keep it that way, thanks. :)

I dont think it will affect anything. I have a Top Secret with Special Compartmentalized along with my badge...just avoid making personal info avilable too easy on the site, and no can find it was you.

You should be fine.

rangrz said:
I dont think it will affect anything. I have a Top Secret with Special Compartmentalized along with my badge...just avoid making personal info avilable too easy on the site, and no can find it was you.

You should be fine.

This seems suprisingly common that people with clearances even at the TS/SCI level are involved in drug use. I myself am too paranoid to try for any higher than I currently have :p

I do know one person without a criminal record who is flagged permanently. He and his roommate were being investigated for TS clearances at pretty much the same time. One of the roomates references mentioned that he did alot of drugs, and both he and the roomate ended up having to take lifestyle polygraphs. Long story short he failed and now can never work in defense. Really bad luck, but partly his fault that people knew him as a user. But as long as you're low key with no arrests you have little to worry about.

Will my involvement in bluelight hamper my character and fitness investigation?

lol. This thread title ALONE belongs in the Best of Bluelight! ;)

^ It's actually not funny depending on the goals one has in life. For example, you can forget about running for high public office if any association to Bluelight could possibly be made and there are posts revealing illegal drug use other than experimenting with marijuana or cocaine.

I love this place and its people, but I've never posted my photo here for a reason. 8o

Johnny1 said:
^ It's actually not funny depending on the goals one has in life. For example, you can forget about running for high public office if any association to Bluelight could possibly be made and there are posts revealing illegal drug use other than experimenting with marijuana or cocaine.

"High public office?" How about a job at all?

Obviously, if you have those aspirations, you should take extreme precautions.

In the USA, if your ambition is to be a ditchdigger, it would behoove you to never link your Bluelight persona with your real-life self.

To do so would be only marginally less wise than these millions of dumb-ass college kids who slather their MySpace pages with beer-bonging photos and gangbang memoirs and wonder why the people to whom they send their resumes don't call them in for interviews.

I love this place and its people, but I've never posted my photo here for a reason. 8o

Photo? Christ, I would hope not! While we're brainstorming here, how about last (or even middle) name, any street you ever lived on, particular metro areas or "scenes" you've been prominent in, places of employment, schools you attended..... the list is almost endless.

This "series of tubes" is a powerful thing, kids. :\

Okay, junctionalfunkie, I understand better now. Your point was that this thread title is funny because it's obvious. I get it. :D

OK, cool man, thanks. I was just about to PM you to petition my cause to have it reinstated. :)

The title, in itself, IS funny. But not just because it's obvious, but because anyone (and I mean anyone) should be very cautious about what links they create between their onscreen persona and their real life. (That and anesoteric question like "will bluelight hamper my character..." is funny on SO MANY levels).

It doesn't take an expert hacker anymore to put this shit together. ANY corporate entity will soon (if not already) require a piss test, and a background check before employment.

One need only open any newspaper to find a story about employers Googling potential job applicants, and finding, MySpace, FaceBook, and other listings that will, to put it mildly, disqualify the applicant.

Thanks for understanding. :)