• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will KRATOM lose effect just like OPIATES?

Legally High

Bluelighter
I highly enjoy kratom, however is it just a dark dead end road like opiates? Will I need it just to feel normal? I know it's different and hits more receptors but that's not encouraging enough to develop an addiction lol.

Just like regular opioids you will indeed develop a tolerance to it and yes, need it to stay “well”. I have noticed however from personal experience that this all develops at a slower rate than with standard opioids. But still... tread lightly.

I highly enjoy kratom, however is it just a dark dead end road like opiates?

It can be, especially if you use the stuff daily. Personally, as someone who's had problems w/ opiates/opioids for the past decade of their life, I found kratom easy to abuse and easy to justify in doing so; knowing that it's not as harmful as other opiates/opioids makes it easy to just take and take.

Will I need it just to feel normal?

Yz, I've gotten to that point (as have several others in my social group). Speaking personally, as someone with social phobias who finds it draining just to maintain casual conversation with someone, kratom makes it a breeze to talk to people and feel confident in doing so. Hell, you actually start to enjoy it. Ain't that shit crazy? It is for me, and once you get a taste of that, the days in between kratom become harder to take until finally you just say fuck it and take it whenever you're forced to interact with someone.

Or, again speaking personally, you might try creating art one day (writing, in my case) while under influence of kratom and discover that the usual self-doubt which invariably plagues the artistic process is gone, just completely gone. You start to only create while under the influence, hereby isolating your creativity in a 6x8 cell until kratom comes strolling on by, whistling a merry tune and twirling a keyring around its enchanted finger. There's no guarantee they'll stop and unlock your cell even if you do take the substance; sometimes you just sit there waiting, trying not to fall asleep and trying to ignore the low-level but pervasive anxiety that reminds you over-and-over how you're not a real artist and how you can't create anything even when you're high and now you're just a worthless junkie.

Yeah, the withdrawals aren't as bad as comparable opiates and opioids, but they ain't too pleasant either. I would type more, but I need to sleep before work tonight. I'll just end by saying to tread lightly, be safe, and all that good well-meaning shit.

"Ominous"..? I wouldn't say that word suits...pretty much at all really... Kratom doesn't have much legitimate research behind it, but it has a very long history of safe human use. Certainly not ominous.

That's not to say it's harmless- it does, like any other substance, carry some risks (and a tolerance factor)- and yes, that includes addiction/dependency....but it can be used reasonably safely and responsibly- in fact, much better than most commonly used psychoactive substances.
But if you are incapable of this and not wishing for a minor back monkey, then yes, it'd be recommended you steer clear.

-PA

Kratom is not an Opioid at all, the plant is actually related to/family from the Caffeine plant... In higher doses it affects the MU-receptor in the brain, and that's the only one instead like Opioids which affect other receptors in the brain as well, not just the MU-receptor.

It has been known to create physical dependence when used daily. I had never experienced any negative effects ( aside from minor nausea from the disgusting taste ;x). I had used about 250 grams over the course of 6 mos (maybe longer?). Usually never more than 5 - 7g a day for no more than 2 or 3 days in a row. Usually kept to Sundays (as suggested by the great Papasomni of lounge fame)

Kratom is not an Opioid at all, the plant is actually related to/family from the Caffeine plant... In higher doses it affects the MU-receptor in the brain, and that's the only one instead like Opioids which affect other receptors in the brain as well, not just the MU-receptor.

Opioids are substances that affect opioid receptors. Substances in Kratom do that. They are opioids.

I highly enjoy kratom, however is it just a dark dead end road like opiates? Will I need it just to feel normal? I know it's different and hits more receptors but that's not encouraging enough to develop an addiction lol.

don't use it every day if you don't want it to lose effect.. simple

its main alkaloids are mu agonists just like opioids.

once a week is all you need if you wanna maximize the beauty from this herb

I appreciate the variety of opinions on this. I tend to end up self medicating with my substances, so if the benefits run out to needing it to feel normal I?ll only plan on using it for the rare occasion if at all.

This is a question with a pretty simple answer, luckily. Tolerance is pretty much universal with psychoactive substances. Your body adapts to the presence of a given chemical in an attempt to maintain what is called Homeostasis. When these drugs are withdrawn, the body must readjust to functioning without the presence of the substance. The only substance that I've ever heard of that doesn't produce tolerance is Diethyl Ether, but I feel like this claim is a little dubious.

Tolerance is a fact of life when using drugs.

This is a question with a pretty simple answer, luckily. Tolerance is pretty much universal with psychoactive substances. Your body adapts to the presence of a given chemical in an attempt to maintain what is called Homeostasis. When these drugs are withdrawn, the body must readjust to functioning without the presence of the substance. The only substance that I've ever heard of that doesn't produce tolerance is Diethyl Ether, but I feel like this claim is a little dubious.

Tolerance is a fact of life when using drugs.

It seems like antidepressants keep building effects for quite a long time, remain potent as well. However long term withdrawal is still the case. Perhaps it’s related to specific seretonin receptors instead of dopamine or gaba.

Isn't it a schedule I controlled substance in the US now? I keep reading conflicting answers to this question. I thought it got scheduled last October (2016) yet if you go to order some, it says it's NOT controlled.
Keif' --- do you have the definite answer on this?

Isn't it a schedule I controlled substance in the US now? I keep reading conflicting answers to this question. I thought it got scheduled last October (2016) yet if you go to order some, it says it's NOT controlled.
Keif' --- do you have the definite answer on this?

It depends on which state you live in, for instance, in Kansas it is 100% legal.

Come to think of it, it's gotta be legal in my state as bout a month ago I googled kratom in {town, state} and I came up with some leads for head shops and online vendors . So.... apparently it's legal here. I had simply forgotten I ran that search .

Eh--- think its something I need to stay away from, personally. I would likely abuse it n have a heck of a time.

Thanks for replying.
Appreciate it .
**** you know why my memory sucks? Tooooooo much gabapentin for far too long*******

Peace--- Fox

I was at a point where I would dose 15 grams 3 times a day. Morning, midday, and bedtime. Did I need to? No, but I did. I started on 5 and within 6-7 months I was at 15. Luckily I had access to stem and leaf mix to help me taper and lower tolerance. Extracts will also make your tolerance higher, at least for me it did. Toss and wash 15 grams is a challenge at first :)

I was at a point where I would dose 15 grams 3 times a day. Morning, midday, and bedtime. Did I need to? No, but I did. I started on 5 and within 6-7 months I was at 15. Luckily I had access to stem and leaf mix to help me taper and lower tolerance. Extracts will also make your tolerance higher, at least for me it did. Toss and wash 15 grams is a challenge at first :)

What is a good starting dose? (*mine will be capsules ). I've never tried it before. . . Have medium opiate tolerance (but have not used any in months) and a high tolerance to gabapentin. Pls advise me.

What is a good starting dose? (*mine will be capsules ). I've never tried it before. . . Have medium opiate tolerance (but have not used any in months) and a high tolerance to gabapentin. Pls advise me.

Take 2 capsules every hour until desired effects IMO.