• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Will I have Subutex WD after using it to "ween" of heroin?

Intrinsic man

Bluelighter
Hello all,

A couple weeks ago I overindulged and used heroin for about 6 days straight. Knowing I would have WD symptoms, I obtained four 8 mg subutex pills. The first 4 or 5 days I snorted around 3 - 4 mg/ day. Since then, I have been snorting the same amount every other day.

I am wondering how long I would have to continue this to experience WD from the Bupe itself? My friend, who is prescribed them, says I am fine, it would take at least a month of everyday use and the amount he gave me isn't enough to give me WD's anyways.

I know that if I were to take any other opiate for more than 2 days in a row, I will end up in WD. To my understanding bupe is completely different, though.

Thanks in advance!

It would take months of daily use for someone not already habituated to opioids. You must be familiar with the phenomenon of kindling, making each withdrawal more intense and each habit faster-acquired. You know as well as I do that a week-long opiate binge is enough to catch a case of sickness. I don't understand how or why, but it seems to be a hard fact that we must deal with.

As far as buprenorphine being completely different... Yes and no. It's a partial-agonist and logic would suggest that anything that can manipulate your receptors has the ability to induce the more rapid habituation. It is different in character that your garden-variety heroin, but I still treat buprenorphine for all intents and purposes as an opioid.

Either way, you'll be fine. I hate to be a buzzkill, but complete abstinence is the fastest way to return to homeostasis. In my experience, every taste that I picked up along the way while trying to detox set me back x amount of time. It's not worth it. If you feel unbearably sick, experiment with minute amounts of buprenorphine.

Make sure to keep us posted, I and others want to know how you're doing and how you're handling it.

It really depends on how long you have been into opiates and how steadily you have been using opiates, and of course the amount of opiates you have been using each time you use/daily..
But typically if your getting wds from heroin/ opiates and you switch to bupe and have no withdrawals while using the bupe, your pretty much going to have to deal with just as bad of a wd when coming off of bupe. If you were to do the longest Taper you could with what you got putting yourself through slight withdrawal everyday while tapering than your tolerance should go down and the withdraws should ease up. Regardless your going to have to pay the piper bro.
When saying this im going by personal experience. It could b different for you.

Thanks for the responses.

Since I have been an on and off addict for years now, no matter how long of a break I take, as soon I use ANY opiate (heroin, hydro, oxy..) for more than two days in a row I will get WD's of some kind. I always ween off with bupe for a few days after and I am fine, no WD's at all. I have never taken the bupe for this long, however, so I am worried I will become physically addicted to the bupe and have to go through BUPE WD instead of whatever short acting opiate I was using before.

In response to Chito: You have WD's even after weening off with subs? The only time I have still experienced WD after doing a sub taper was the first time I detoxed, and that was after 9 - 10 months of daily use... there was no way I was gonna make it out of that without hurting a bit. But now, whenever I go back home and inevitably use again, I just take a couple mg bupe for a few days and it's like it never happened.

Also, I do not need the bupe anymore. I probably didnt even need it after the first day of tapering, but continued to snort the subs because it's too hard to resist the urge when they're sitting in my desk drawer...

I've used subs to get off heroin. Being an opiate there will be withdrawals, but if you taper off it won't be nearly as severe as trying to come off heroin. My advice would be to wait as long as possible each time, and then take a smaller dose. aThat is, wait until you feel crappy and can't wait any longer. It sounds like you actually had too much subutex on your hands and understandably that would make it harder to avoid taking more than you need. If you did it correctly though you could taper off in just a few days and only experience mild withdrawal symptoms.

Damn really your lucky man haha I have a really hard time tapering though, if I got em I will do enough of them to just get the slight feeling of just craving cigarettes more lol its pretty bad. Also I've never tried the sub taper coming off heroin. I always got on a maintenance program like soboxone or methadone, and would be on that program for like a year or more then I would try to taper and I was always horrible at it lol. So I think the reason I would deal with wd so bad when getting off sub was because my body was just used to the bupe so much idk. That's funny how you say they're just sitting there in your drawer and can't resist lol being an addict is crazy lol. I've been kinda bad about that recently with etizolam haha