• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will I go into precipitated withdrawal after valium?

Swimswimmelson123

Greenlighter
I've been doing h but I'm getting back on my Subutex and back on the road to recovery but I've been taking valium to get through my withdrawal before inducting the subutex and I was wondering if I will go into precipitated withdrawal after taking valium? Does it bind to the opiate receptors?

Nope. Valium is a benzo. It will not bind to ope receptors. Will not cause precip withdrawals. Some use it to mitigate symptoms of ope withdrawals. Lots of info on here about this. Gl

Valium is a benzo, not a narcotic, so no. You might feel groovy tho. Precip withdrawal is this: If you are addicted to a narcotic and Not in withdrawal, the Suboxone will kick out the other opiate off the receptors, causing sudden withdrawal, only long enough for the Subs to really kick in,about 2 hours. If your in withdrawal you can take Suboxone no problem. If you take Oxys and are Not addicted you will Not go into withdrawal if you also take Suboxone.

I developed a dependency on Opiates and Xanax myself, originally prescribed by my Doctor for severe anxiety And pain. With benzodiazepines the body becomes dependent on them very quickly, it only takes about a month of continuous use before you are dependent. I had been using Xanax continually for around three years and I made the huge mistake of quitting cold turkey which led to me having multiple seizures and hospital visits (in my defence I was very young and naive) in my opinion Xanax is by far the worst benzo out there as it has such a short half life and is by far one of the strongest. I had to taper of slowly over the course of a few months. I’m not going to sugar coat it, it was hell on earth! When tapering of benzodiazepines you need to use one with a long half life, diazepam/Valium or even Klonopin/Clonazepam is best for this. I would also strongly advice getting some cannabis just to take the edge of, also cannabis is great for preventing seizures. Benzodiazepines are probably one of the hardest drugs to withdraw from but it’s so worth it! I hope I have helped in some way and please feel free to message me for any advice I have a lot of experience in helping people withdraw from benzodiazepines. P.s. this is not something you can do on your own it’s best to find an outpatient rehab or even a family member to hold on to your medications.

As everyone else has said, Diazepam (Valium) is a Benzodiazepine so would not in any way be effected by Opioid antagonists like Buprenorphine. You should have nothing to worry about in that department, but let us know if you have any other questions!

Side note, you can have withdrawal from BZD's , but it is markedly different in pathophysiology than withdrawal from opioids. It is more closely related to alcohol withdrawal. That said, Valium, due to it's longer halflife, is relatively safe. I would not expect DT like withdrawal. In my world, the healthcare world, precipitated withdrawal occurs only when the withdrawal is precipitated by the action of an antagonist, in this case Flumazenil for BZDs.

^ The above post is correct, although Valium produces full-on benzo withdrawal that can lead to seizures and death if strongly enough addicted, just like any other benzo. The long half-life benzos are actually easier to get addicted to because you spend less time without them filling your receptors, and have a somewhat less intense withdrawal per unit of time, but a much longer withdrawal, too. Of course, none of this is related to suboxone use, which has no effect on benzos one way or another (except that benzos potentiate opioids so be careful).

For an illustration of how it's easier to get addicted to long half-life benzos, say you're taking a benzo once per night for sleep. If you take a short acting one like etizolam or lorazepam, it will clear your system and stop affecting you by the morning, and you spend the whole day with your receptors starting to bounce back, so much of your time is spent without benzos in your bloodstream, so dependence takes longer to achieve (though if you dose repeatedly in the day, you risk addiction much more quickly). Whereas with Valium, the half-life is so long that taking it once a day ensures your receptors are always affected by a benzo, which means you will become addicted more quickly.