• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Will I get withdrawals?

Just know that if you continue to start and stop taking Benzodiazepines like this, it will lead to more and more difficulties in terms of withdrawal. This is known as the Kindling Effect. It's better not to mess around with this stuff, so I hope you're able to stay away.
I've noticed that recently myself. I've gone on some *bad* benzo binges, and the last few withdrawals were horrific. Shaking, sweating, $#!tting, puking, so dizzy I couldn't stand up, and emotions all over the place.

My very last one wasn't too bad, but I think it's because I went through them *so* fast (like a month's worth in 3 days) that I didn't even have time to build a dependence.

I just want to make an aside here.

Cannabis is going to be seriously contraindicated for folks withdrawing from the sedative jypnotics: to be specific, we are talking:

Alcohol (Ethanol)
Benzodiazepines
Barbiturates
Z-Drugs
Carbamates i.e. Carisoprodol (Soma)

I'm a chronic, daily user of Cannabis and I've had its usage trigger instant panic when withdrawing from Alcohol. This is apparently true for a lot of people.

Opioid withdrawal, sure, I think that's a different story, but for Benzodiazepine withdrawal I would be very careful. Panic is usually not deadly. It is still highly unpleasant.

I just want to make an aside here.

Cannabis is going to be seriously contraindicated for folks withdrawing from the sedative hypnotics: to be specific, we are talking:

Alcohol (Ethanol)
Benzodiazepines
Barbiturates
Z-Drugs
Carbamates i.e. Carisoprodol (Soma)

I'm a chronic, daily user of Cannabis and I've had its usage trigger instant panic when withdrawing from Alcohol. This is apparently true for a lot of people.

Opioid withdrawal, sure, I think that's a different story, but for Benzodiazepine withdrawal I would be very careful. Panic is usually not deadly. It is still highly unpleasant.
I was thinking that as well. I try to find things that work on the GABA receptors when withdrawing from benzos.

My doctor gave me Ambien (zopiclone) when I was going through it one time and it worked like a charm. (Although when I would take it right before bed, I'd slide my fire safe in front of my bedroom door because I was afraid of driving or doing something crazy in my sleep!)

My doctor put me on a small dose of Effexor to help wean off Klonopin (dealing with the loss of my wife, been six months). I took it for five days, was the absolute worst. Felt like bad MDMA. I stopped a week ago, finally feel back to normal. I'm tapering without any antidepressants. I'm on subutex, which I feel like will help my taper anyway. I'm only taking 1 to 1 1/2 .5 kp a day. Docs giving me a long taper plan to get through holidays. But yes, fuck Effexor, maybe the worst drug I've ever tried. (was on Zoloft and Prozac before, didn't respond well either, but nothing like this).