• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Will I get withdrawals?

flakrun

Bluelighter
Dear BL.

I have been using 1-2mg Xanax daily for 3 weeks, as I started Effexor, and could not handle the increased anxiety.

Will I be able to stop taking it completely tomorrow, or should I expect horrific withdrawals? Do I need to taper?

I'm not prescribed by a GM, and hope you can tell me how to deal with the situation.

Thank you!

Please anyone, do I need to taper and if so, can I just do 0.5 a few days and stop?

That is stretch of a common medical protocol that is considered okay to be stopped with no taper
I'd go with short taper, few days, just for caution, tho' that doesn't seem particularly dangerous position.

THANK YOU, for the reply. I'll do 0.5 for a few days and then 0.25 a few days. Have a good day!
Are these legit alprazolam (Xanax) or acquired at "street" level?
Have you any history of using and stopping benzodiazepines?
The plan to do a quick taper seems reasonable but but please keep us posted on how things work out for you.
There may be some rebound anxiety but dig your heels in, treat your body nicely with healthy food/water, get in some exercise if able to and find a way to keep yourself distracted from worrying about what may or may not happen during the process. Be mindful of any serious changes in attitude or physical issues and adjust doses as necessary.
Best wishes and godspeed.
<3

I have been using 1-2mg Xanax daily for 3 weeks, as I started Effexor, and could not handle the increased anxiety.

Will I be able to stop taking it completely tomorrow, or should I expect horrific withdrawals? Do I need to taper?
I've never known anyone to get withdrawals from such a small amount, but take half for a few days if you're concerned.
That's a good point. If you got them on the street, they could be fentanyl or any number of things.

Have you any history of using and stopping benzodiazepines?
The plan to do a quick taper seems reasonable but but please keep us posted on how things work out for you.
There may be some rebound anxiety but dig your heels in, treat your body nicely with healthy food/water, get in some exercise if able to and find a way to keep yourself distracted from worrying about what may or may not happen during the process. Be mindful of any serious changes in attitude or physical issues and adjust doses as necessary.
Best wishes and godspeed.
<3
Hello!

Thank you for the support and kind words🙏🏻, same goes for you dreamflyer.

I never used benzos before this, and they are legit. I felt some withdrawals this night, with very little sleep, some crazy nightmares (wtf?) and a lot of sweating. Rebound anxiety was also present, but manageable. All in all, not pleasent, but nothing like what others probably went through, and not long lasting.

I will go down to 0.25 from tomorrow for a few days if I feel okay, and give it some days until I I feel something again.

Will keep you updated, thx for supporting!

Hello!

Thank you for the support and kind words🙏🏻, same goes for you dreamflyer.

I never used benzos before this, and they are legit. I felt some withdrawals this night, with very little sleep, some crazy nightmares (wtf?) and a lot of sweating. Rebound anxiety was also present, but manageable. All in all, not pleasent, but nothing like what others probably went through, and not long lasting.

I will go down to 0.25 from tomorrow for a few days if I feel okay, and give it some days until I I feel something again.

Will keep you updated, thx for supporting!

Always always (always) taper with Benzos. The withdrawals from them is only second in lethality from alcohol. I had a seizure once from benzo w/d

How's that BP, HR and are you having brain zaps? Anyone to watch you? I think you'll be ok.

Godspeed and keep us updated.

Dear BL.

I'm not prescribed by a GM, and hope you can tell me how to deal with the situation.

Thank you!
How much are you using? I'd go sometimes and used for 1 - 2 months straight when I was heavy into my crack addiction and every time I stopped I'd be so worried about this horrible withdrawals everyone talks about. Not saying they don't' exist, I'm sure they do and they're horrible. But after 1 -2 months I never felt them at all.

Always always (always) taper with Benzos. The withdrawals from them is only second in lethality from alcohol. I had a seizure once from benzo w/d

How's that BP, HR and are you having brain zaps? Anyone to watch you? I think you'll be ok.

Godspeed and keep us updated.
Hello I did taper down to 0.25 and stopped yesterday completely.

Mood today has been very bad, and I feel fatigued. Having some brain zaps yes.

Looks like BP and HR is good thank you!
I'm just me, so not really, but hopefully will be okay.

How much are you using? I'd go sometimes and used for 1 - 2 months straight when I was heavy into my crack addiction and every time I stopped I'd be so worried about this horrible withdrawals everyone talks about. Not saying they don't' exist, I'm sure they do and they're horrible. But after 1 -2 months I never felt them at all.
I used atleast 1-2 mg and some days more. Yep I'm like you, I do worry a lot from reading how people suffered. Hopefully I also won't feel too much. Thank you!

Hopefully I also won't feel too much. Thank you!
Thank you for the update. Too many threads people start and then we are left wondering how they are doing. As you document your experience someone else will want that info. I hope you get through with no problem. Let us know as time goes on. And if you cave you are among your peers lol, No judging.

Thank you for the update. Too many threads people start and then we are left wondering how they are doing. As you document your experience someone else will want that info. I hope you get through with no problem. Let us know as time goes on. And if you cave you are among your peers lol, No judging.
Very well written JackARoe - I could have used this info myself!

Thank you very much for caring. I will keep you updated, and finish document my experience.

You're likely to experience some rebound anxiety. It sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

Given that you don't have a previous history with Benzodiazepines it shouldn't be a huge problem. You can probably expect 48-72 hours of feeling like you've drank way too much coffee and likely a couple of difficult nights sleeping. You'll be fine after a couple of days. I agree with the rapid taper idea. It won't hurt anything.

Just know that if you continue to start and stop taking Benzodiazepines like this, it will lead to more and more difficulties in terms of withdrawal. This is known as the Kindling Effect. It's better not to mess around with this stuff, so I hope you're able to stay away.

You're likely to experience some rebound anxiety. It sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

Given that you don't have a previous history with Benzodiazepines it shouldn't be a huge problem. You can probably expect 48-72 hours of feeling like you've drank way too much coffee and likely a couple of difficult nights sleeping. You'll be fine after a couple of days. I agree with the rapid taper idea. It won't hurt anything.

Just know that if you continue to start and stop taking Benzodiazepines like this, it will lead to more and more difficulties in terms of withdrawal. This is known as the Kindling Effect. It's better not to mess around with this stuff, so I hope you're able to stay away.
Yeah like me which I haven't missed more than a day in 3 years everyday use. Ranging from 4-10mg. I'm prolly gonna take em forever, they don't bother me tho.

Thanks for the information about kindling Keif, didn't know about it. I dont have a history with them, and I don't plan to use them again. I did some diet changes, and I'm feeling better overall.

I slept really well, and I'm feeling fine today, so I guess I got lucky!

Update:

Thank you everyone for the support and tips. I now consider myself 100% off. The process wasn't what I feared at all, and I did it with very little to none discomfort. I decided to taper off as suggested. I hope others who might be in the same situation choose to do the same thing.

Last edited:
Effexor will be terrible withdrawal have fun with that. Fuck effexor!
You okay? Some people have a hard time coming off Effexor while other people don't have any issues. It's highly individual. Btw not a very supportive thing to write.

Just explaining my hate for that drug. A veteran friend of mine was pulled off that shit at the VA out of no where and the WD was so terrible he went straight to hard street drugs and told his doctor he was going to..that's just how serious effexor WD can make one feel.

I'm ok man. My comment and this one, well just take it or leave it.