View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Will DMT work on me if I'm on mirtazapine?antideppressant

deadhead4lyfe89

Bluelighter
I been on mirtazapine for 3 years for major depression. It works really good for me. Mirtazapine (remeron) an antidepressant .

But I really want to try DMT. Is it safe to mix them

Or

Will the mirtazapine kill my Dmt trip?

Any info I would really appreciate it

Thank you. Peace

Even though this is a combination question I have a feeling you'll get more responses in PD. I'm positive I've seen the topic of mirtazapine and psychedelics come up a few times so if you haven't already you might want to run a quick search in the meantime.

BDD ~> PD

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I think mirtazapine/tetracyclics have a potentiating effect on psychedelics, like tricyclics.

^ Given it's MOA you should theoretically expect the exact opposite, with mirtazapine being a 5-HT3 and 5-HT2A antagonist. Psychedelics are very complex though and from the sound of it this guy had a good DMT trip while on mirtazapine... Then again in regards to other psychedelics you can consistently see posts along the lines of:

ive stopped a trip with remeron before and went right to sleep. Gives me very bad rls though.
I know from experience. 30mg of Remeron will completely kill a trip, even as powerful as 5-MeO-AMT, and then knock you out cold.
I keep it around specifically for that purpose. I've never had to use it, but i did a trial to see if it would knock out a decent sized 2c-e trip. It did, and at <10mg. Well, honestly, i don't know that it totally killed it, but i definitely felt like i was stopping tripping before i passed out

As a matter of fact all but one member in this relevant thread who has taken mirtazapine with serotonergic psychedelics experienced dampening, as would be expected... Seems like dose, of both the psychedelic and mirtazapine, as well as the psychedelic in question (ie. one less selective for the affected subtypes being better) are determining factors, and that a dose adjustment may be in order.

From the sounds of it Solipsis would've had something useful to add being both a tripper and mirtazapine user but I'm unsure if he's already taken a step back from BL. Anyways this is out of my playing field, just digging up some relevant info for the OP. Doesn't seem like there's any significant danger as far as interactions though... so it may just be a case of try it and find out.

Last edited:
I don't think the mirtazapine will alter the experience at all

What about smoking DMT while on Lexapro?

Would the DMT still create a strong experience?

How much an SSRI will weaken a trip or roll seems to vary individual to individual. You may be able to get off (perhaps not a breakthrough though) but it would require a larger than normal dose, that's if you're lucky. SSRI's can greatly dampen the effects of psychedelics for the grand majority, sometimes leaving the user unable to achieve a deep, well rounded trip at any dose.

Judging from this thread DMT seems to be no different. Every once in a while you'll see a post from someone who has no issues but they seem to be the minority. My girlfriend not only couldn't trip while on SSRI's but the "magic" didn't fully return for about a year after getting off of them. SSRI's always ruin the best drugs...

《Plasticity》;13158567 said:
How much an SSRI will weaken a trip or roll seems to vary individual to individual. You may be able to get off (perhaps not a breakthrough though) but it would require a larger than normal dose, that's if you're lucky. SSRI's can greatly dampen the effects of psychedelics for the grand majority, sometimes leaving the user unable to achieve a deep, well rounded trip at any dose. Judging from this thread DMT seems to be no different. Every once in a while you'll see a post from someone who has no issues but they seem to be the minority. My girlfriend not only couldn't trip while on SSRI's but the "magic" didn't fully return for about a year after getting off of them. SSRI's always ruin the best drugs...
Well I was always able to trip on LSD and shrooms while on Prozac but I just didnt' trip quite as hard.That being said, I still had some VERY strong trips on both.I think I just needed to take more.I mean wouldn't you think if I just kept smoking more and more DMT I'd eventually hit a pretty high level trip?? Not that I've even had the chance to procure any...and I'm on Lexapro now and was on Prozac before so I don't know how different it would be...

Like I said it varies. Some SSRI users will never be able to obtain a full trip at any dose, especially those who have been on them for a very long time. Obviously some effects may be felt but a lot of the key components of a trip are missing. It's just like people who "lose the magic" when rolling or tripping too often, these people will always be able to trip/roll to some degree but regardless of the dose the quality of the experience just isn't the same... upping the dose doesn't change that.

If someone has been on SSRI's their whole life and hasn't had a trip while not on them they wouldn't know what components are missing because they lack the experience of having an unadulterated trip. Not saying that's the case for you, I'm not sure if you've ever tripped before getting on SSRI's, this is just something to consider. Most people who have had experiences before and after getting on SSRI's agree that the experience is very much dulled and less "whole", with some not being able to obtain a proper trip altogether. If there's any psychedelic that you would still be able to trip on it would probably be DMT though.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if it didn't work at all. I tripped harder than I wanted to before on olanzapine which blocks pretty much everything and is quite potent at 2A.

To back up what Plasticity said, I have used remeron for years now to end bad trips. I have used it to end trips on 2C-E and 25i/b/c-nbome. 45mg will lessen a trip by half in 15 minutes and end it entirely by 45 minutes. I have only had to do this a handful of times over the past few years but I strongly believe that being on a daily dose of remeron will prevent many drugs from working correctly. Give it a go and report back if you want.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate your replies.
Sorry I'm replying a year later.

I just really wanted to know and didn't want to waste my acid my mushrooms my 2cb and my Dmt. They can be hard to find sometimes. So I guess ill just keep saving them until I get off the antidepressant (mirtazapine ) in hr or two ish.
It just sucks cuz I wanna trip or I wanna try more Dmt but I've been on the mirtazapine for like four years or more and I really don't want to get off it yet cuz I feel like it had really helped me. I feel like my mental health is very healthy lately because of it.
It just sucks that I can't trip. Cuz it might kill the trip and not work an waste everything. I've also read that I can't do MDMA either cuz I could get serotonin syndrome from mixing MDMA with mirtazapine and that can be deadly.
The only drugs I can really do is opiates/ opioids and benzos.

I just miss tripping and I wanna try Dmt again.
Well I guess it will just have to wait.

Before I got on the mirtazapine antidepressant I was a huge pothead and huge frytriphead. And went through a few periods of time doing MDMA.
But I needed to take a break. Cuz alot of that was while I was a teenager in high school and some in my early 20s I tripped alot.
But it has been good to take a break from all those drugs for some years. I am now in my late late 20s. I just been reading alot more about Dmt and it makes me wanna try it again
Like I said I guess ill just have to wait and try to appreciate the break and give my brain a Lil rest

Thanks so much for the info and replies

Peace,love,light

good for you - taking a break is definitely smart - been there / still there

I've been on mirtazapine for about 8 yrs the last 4 being 15mg. Honestly in the beginning the sedation is so ridiculous it would put you to sleep even on the strongest of stimulants. so Im skeptical if a person not tolerant to remeron could even distinguish between the intense sedation or in fact receptor activity being the culprit

I'm not sure but I think mirtazapine/tetracyclics have a potentiating effect on psychedelics, like tricyclics.

Wrong on both guesses. While tryciclics do not always reduce Psych effect, after 2-3 weeks of use it always does by downregulating 5-HT2A which means blocks indirectly. And mirtazapine is a 5-HT2A antagonist which means it blocks directly. As for other Teracyclic it depends on their Pharmacology.

I would be very surprised if it didn't work at all. I tripped harder than I wanted to before on olanzapine which blocks pretty much everything and is quite potent at 2A.

I agree. Mostly they are fighting but DMT is most likely the most potent and will win the fight lets just call it a partial trip.

Full trips are less likely to occur if taken with any serotonergic medication except MAOI's. Partial trips are what usually occurs. No trip is rare but possible only for direct antagonists at high dose with lower DMT doses or weaker psychedelics.