• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids will dihydrocodeine hold off withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deluded

Bluelighter
hey,

So I have gotten my dilaudid habit down to 32mg per day, but script ran out and no pills until monday. I have the chance right now to buy 40 df118's . So, how should i take them and will they work. I only take 8mgs of dilaudid at a time to give an idea of tolerance. thanks

DHC can hold off withdrawal, but it's a pretty weak opiate so I would think it would only ease withdrawal from a smaller addiction (lower-end of the spectrum hydrocodone withdrawals, or withdrawals from something like codeine). 32mg of hydromorphine a day most likely wouldn't be touched by DHC. You would have to take ridiculous doses of DHC to come close.

The good thing about DHC is it doesn't have a ceiling dose like codeine, but as far as I'm aware, the super high doses you'd need to ease your withdrawal would cause some pretty intense histamine release that tends to be incredibly painful. I'm not 100% sure about this because I have no personal experience, but I believe I've heard people mention it before. I may be wrong, so take this paragraph with a grain of salt till someone can confirm or deny.

What I said in the first post still stands, though.

I don't know anything about Dilaudid. and couldn't quite get my head around the online converters, but I often used DHC to take the monkey off when I was on heroin. I had a pretty hefty habit but lowly DHC (or even just codeine) does work to an extent. If I were going into withdrawal I would jump at the chance of DFs. I've tapered from heavy heroin habits on both DHC and codeine before (although never completed those tapers).

As I said, I don't know how that equates to Dilaudid but it'll surely be better than nothing. I'd just eat them - grapefruit juice may potentiate them but I can't recall off-hand. Get some anti-histamines for the itchies though - not as bad as codeine for itchies but pretty annoying.

DHC will help with the W/D's...........but I don't know how many to compare it to. Like Shambles said, just eat them. I'd start with 2.

I checked equianalgesic conversion and it said 32mg hydromorphone/day = ~853mg of codeine, which would be about 425mg DHC/day... that is assuming you take the HM orally, if you snort or inject it, you'll need more DHC... Also the 425 will give you similar but weaker effects to your normal dose of HM so you could probably held on a good amount less than 425mg/day of DHC.

240mg of DHC would hold me pretty comfortably for several hours with a gram+ heroin habit. From all I've heard (from visiting Americans in particular) the (freebase) heroin we get in the UK tends to be a fair bit stronger than what you get in the US - a gram or more a day is a lot but DHC held me as well as methadone did, albeit it not for as long.

PS: I may be completely wrong about UK heroin being stronger (on average) than the US stuff - just going on what I've read and comments from visiting Americans who are often shocked by how strong it is.

I tried a DHC detox and failed. It just doesn't hold you properly. To begin with it was 8 X 40mg a day, even IV'd that lot wouldn't really hold me properly.

^there is a lot of mixed feelings on DHC to taper with or even maintain on. Some find it very useful for both (even with large habits like shambles) and others find it utterly useless. My point is that it just didn't hold YOU properly, others will have different experiences.

^there is a lot of mixed feelings on DHC to taper with or even maintain on. Some find it very useful for both (even with large habits like shambles) and others find it utterly useless. My point is that it just didn't hold YOU properly, others will have different experiences.

Bingo.

I find myself defending Propoxyphene often for similar reasons. It is cursed and hailed by different people whether it worked as one or two studies say it does for managing opioid withdrawal syndrome detoxification.

There is a lengthy record of DHC being used in the UK as an alternative to Methadone, and adjuvant to detox.

All good advice in this thread. I'd certainly not pass up the opportunity if you're facing imminent withdrawals...

Also I heard (from my nurse) a certain percentage of caucasians (if the OP is) don't convert codeine/DHC to morphine properly, so that could be a reason certain people find it useless to hold an opiate habit/taper. I personally wouldn't pass up any opiates while in withdrawl, but that's me. Something has to be better then nothing no?

Last edited:
^DHC isn't a pro-drug for morphine like codeine is... but that is accurate for codeine, I've heard as high as 10% lack that enzyme to convert. They still get some of the analgesic effects but VERY limited, the majority of the affects are from the morphine.

Although dihydrocodeine does have extremely active metabolites, in the form of dihydromorphine and dihydromorphine-6-glucuronide (one hundred times more potent), these metabolites are produced in such small amount that they do not have clinically important effects. SOURCE

Dose high enough and you will get by without feeling too horrible...

Okay, I figured I would update since a few took interest in this thread. I dosed at 210mg in 6 hour intervals and I had no withdrawal symptoms. I actually felt really good. This was taken orally. I started to get low so I switchedto plugging, and when I plugged 120mgs, I still felt great. Finally last night I was down to two tabs. So I put the in a sterile saline solution, in a glass vial, gently heated, andfiltered through a .2 wheel filter/micron. I then gave myself a IM injection, and a measly 60mgs mde me feel fine all night until this morning whe i finally got my dilaudid tablets.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm a heroin addict. The only things that hold me are heroin or methadone. Have tried others recently (Oxy, Hydromorphone, DHC etc) but none of them are the same.

So i was just wondering which you guys prefer, DHC or codeine? For both recreation and tapering down.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm a heroin addict. The only things that hold me are heroin or methadone. Have tried others recently (Oxy, Hydromorphone, DHC etc) but none of them are the same.

I don't mean to argue, but MOST heroin addicts I know and have met could be held by opioids other than heroin and 'done... including oxy, HM, DHC, etc.

There is nothing inherent about heroin that makes you insusceptible to other opioids satiating physical dependence necessities.

I am not saying you are wrong, just again that most people who use heroin will likely have a different experience than you.

I'm about to use DHC to taper of 25ug fentanyl patch which I change every 3 days.

I have 120 x 30mg IR DHC tablets so i'm hoping that will be enough to get me through the worst of my w/d's. I also have some good pods as well so may use both in combination. If i'm successful with either/both, I will post my experience and dosages.

depending on your tolerance, but in most cases it will

it's a decent opiate and i've heard people who say its their DOC

Status
Not open for further replies.