• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Will bupe work for me?

My_mind_is_an_egnima

Greenlighter
I'm a 20+ year opiate user, never heroine. I'm done. I've got an appointment coming up to get suboxone. So I would over take, buy, steal whatever, when that ran out I'd detox, go a couple weeks then start it all over.
Is suboxone the right treatment? What if I dont have any opiates in my system when I go?

Have you asked your doctor or have you received any instructions about your appointment? Doctors prescribing buprenorphine will give you a COWS test. You have to be in full or almost full withdrawal, and score high enough on that test before the doctor will begin suboxone induction. The reason for this is that buprenorphine will knock off almost all opioids that are still attached to your receptors. If there is still a significant amount of opioids still attached to your receptors, you will go into precipitated withdrawals (PW) if you are not in significant withdrawal and have a high COWS score. You do not want PW, speaking from experience, you will feel the worst in your life for about 9+ hours until the buprenorphine sufficiently fills your opiate receptors. Imagine regular opiate withdrawal times a 1000. Puking, shitting, shaking with a fever, jumping out of your skin that makes you feel like you will definitely die.

You don’t want this. The easiest way out of this is to talk to your doctor and ask what to do to prepare for suboxone induction. If you are afraid you will run out of opioids, like 5 or more days, before your appointment, please let the office know. Work with the office to come up with a plan so that you are at the correct COWS score for induction. Ask if they can see you sooner if you don’t believe you will have enough opioids, and are forced to endure a week or so of needless misery.

FYI, Suboxone patients have a 40+ percent success rate of staying clean while on buprenorphine maintenance. That is a hopeful statistic.

I was on suboxone years ago and have been clean from all opioids for about 8 years now. That’s something that hopefully, could be you. You can PM me if you want to know my experience with buprenorphine and how I got clean and stay clean from opioids. Just remember that buprenorphine is a very powerful and extremely long lasting opioid (74+hour half-life.)

Please keep updating this thread. Wishing you the best!

WOC
Thank you so much for sharing with me! Well I had my appointment, and had been off opiates for 4 days prior to that. We both felt I was in a good spot to start it.
It's been a few days now and I feel it's working good. I just need to get past the nausea and vomiting. Those films about kill me. Any suggestions? I would like this to be a short course, but if I cant stop throwing g up, I'm going go have to ditch it.

I’m glad you started your induction. The induction process is about 2 weeks before you stabilize. Everyday should have you feeling a little bit better. What milligram of suboxone are you taking per day? What day are you on? When is your next appointment with the doctor?

Suboxone made me vomit too the first week or so, but nothing like cold turkey withdrawal. I also got bad headaches too during my induction. It’s safe to say that it takes close to two week before you stabilize. It’s like clockwork for most people. If the vomiting gets too bad, see if your doctor can call you some Zofran (Ondansetron) for nausea. It also dissolves in your mouth (on top of the tongue,) but it really works. If you get headaches take NSAIDS like aspirin if you can, or ibuprofen/Tylenol etc.

Your doing great!
WOC
Thanks so much for the support! Im a very private person so no one really knows about this so my support system is small. Today is my 5th day I'm taking about 1.25 to 1.5 8mg strips a day. I already take zofran and its helping. So is weed. I'm hoping these side effects wear off....