• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will Amphetamines Keep Working?

houseonthehill

Greenlighter
I've recently been prescribed Adderall IR for ADHD. I have searched for answers to these questions and am getting completely opposite answers from different sources. I am taking 20mg 3 days a week with good results so far (I have an odd work schedule where I only need to stave off my symptoms 3 days per week). I know that over time my tolerance will go up and I will need more for the same therapeutic effect. The doctor says that as long as you aren't upping the daily dose to feel good, tolerance should build up to a plateau, and the drug will still be effective at treating your ADHD. On the other hand, even though it may be a vocal minority, but the internet says that Adderall will stop working relatively quickly and that it's not worth it to be on the medication at all.

1. Can I expect Adderall to work for treating my ADHD symptoms in the long run?

2. I occasionally (like once every few weeks) take an extra half to 3/4 of a pill to get a slight buzz if I need the energy to be social later on in the day (save the lecture I know this is bad). Is it likely that I will I still be able to get a slight buzz from Adderall after taking the drug for a long time? I'd like to reiterate that I plan on taking the minimum dose required to treat my ADHD 95% of the time. Can the tolerance stay low enough for this?

The answer to my 2nd question is particularly difficult to find because people who post are pretty black and white about Adderall usage. They either use it as prescribed or abuse it pretty heavily.

THANKS

It's supposed to work for ADHD symptoms. It's not going to keep giving you euphoria. If you keep searching for a buzz, things aren't going to go well.

Well said ho-chi-minh, that is indeed what you call psychological addiction, which is not a good thing.

It'll keep 'working' in terms of improving focus and concentration. The nice feelings will slowly fade the more frequently and heavily you use it though (tolerance).

If that happens, you'd need to take a break to restore some sensitivity.

I agree with what the guys say above, but given the relatively conservative way you appear to be using it, I would expect it to keep working as you desire for some time.

However, as you've only just started using, be prepared for your good plans to possibly come falling apart and your use to get out of control over time.

OD --> BDD