• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Will a decent taper improve PAWS when quitting kratom?

Zapgunn

Bluelighter
I'm quitting kratom for the millionth time. I've been using it for the past few years, this last run was 2-3 times a day for about 5 months. I have always gone cold turkey, because tapers just frustrate me and never seem to work. I always break the plan. When I quit cold turkey I can get through the acute withdrawals. It sucks, but I've done it so much, that I am quite confident in myself in that area. BUT, the PAWS always kicks my ass. I usually relapse around day 7-20 just because I'm tired of feeling sluggish, anxious, and depressed. The anhedonia I feel in PAWS is the WORST.

I'm 24 hours, no kratom now, and Im trying to decide if I should just ride it out and hope it sticks this time, or try a taper and see if that improves my PAWS and makes things easier for me. Any input would be greatly appreciatede.

I don't feel WD with kratom but if you do then PAWS is part of the process only time will take it away.

Tapering only helps the physical aspects of w/d, it won't help the PAWS that comes because your reptile brain has learned that Opioids=Feel Good.
It should be well established fact that kratom, mild as it may be, does produce dependence with daily usage. Just like codeine or tramadol would.

I think the best option for PAWS prevention is lifestyle enrichment, e.g. filling your time with activities that give you pleasure, that aren't dope related :) so you have the dopamine train all lined up and running BEFORE your reptile brain starts thinking about the easiest way to Feel Good.

PAWS, in my mind, is the biggest challenge, and I feel gets people back on introducing opiates back into the brain to alleviate the symptoms. PAWS, for me, was really harder than acute WDs. Not AS devastating, but in its own way, insidious. I used Kratom to get off Fent last year, and it was a godsend. I did taper off off Kratom, and in the end, I think many people think that the symptoms they feel are WDs from Kratom, which they may be, but may also be remaining PAWS symptoms from the opiate you were getting off to begin with. Why? Because sometimes, the PAWS can go on for months after actute wd's. It did for me. In fact, I think that on some days, I feel elevated anxiety, depression, uneasiness, etc., that are PAWS that re-surface for various reason, some neurochemical. It takes a LONG time to get your brain back on line and your neurotransmitter systems back in order after fucking with them for long periods. It's one thing any long-term drug user begins to understand the longer they're in the game. It's why relapses are just so, so common. No one likes feeling like shit. And having a brain that's depleted of serotonin or dopamine or there is an issue with reuptake or whatever makes for feeling really shitty. But...things can and do get better. I have found that in the end, opiates are the biggest traitor or all the drugs. All the promises, all the euphoria, and the feeling good is all replaced by misery and suffering when you simply have a brain that's not regulating neurotransmitters, and the "good" that you felt becomes harder and harder to find. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it's just that simple; you fuck with your brain, it fucks with you back. You can get away with this and that, early on, but no one plays the opiate game without paying a heavy price sooner or later. It's inevitable. Again, it's why the world is filled with opiate addicts. And remember...we all did it to ourselves, me included. Good luck, and you'll get there if you are strong and remember that jumping back on the opiate bandwagon only ensure one thing...a future date with withdrawals. Period. End of story. I had a chance to get some Dilaudid not long ago, and I passed. I saw nothing but a few weeks of fun and many months of misery in that future, when I would have to stop or supply got cut off. So, I passed. I ain't perfect, but I don't need to have myself anxious, depressed, not sleeping, unmotivated, all that, for a little opiate fun.

Oh good lord I wish I realized kratom had all of this shit associated with it before I placed an order a few years ago. The Shadow Self is right. And the OP is right. I have never used ANY opiates, only kratom (which is simply an opioid) and it has been a MAJOR bitch to quit because of the extended PAWS. It really IS literally months. I guess I have a shitty system since I've never abused drugs before this? I feel so crappy that I find it hard to believe anyone escapes without PAWS. But they MUST since that poster up there says he doesn't even get WD's. Anyone know what makes the difference?