• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Ethnobotanicals Wild Lettuce Opium - The Most Underrated Drug I’ve Ever Done..

G_Chem

Moderator: OD
Staff member
Note: Written by me, 5yrs ago.

It's been about a week now since my first real attempt at this substance and I've gotta say I was impressed beyond anything I could have ever imagined. But first let me start at the beginning...

I've read and heard about wld lettuce opium for the longest time, but was never too inclined to try it because 99% of the reports out there make it sound like it could be a borderline placebo type effect. It always seemed like that drug someone would do purely out of desperation and nothing more, on top of that most people talk about it as a sedative mainly which I'm not too fond of. (Oh how wrong they were..)

Well I've always been one to experiment with new substances in the name of science. I've had interesting experiences with some rare drugs and am always looking to add another to the list so long as it appeals to me on some level and sounds decently safe.

A few weeks back I noticed that the monster 6 foot high weeds next to the phalaris
growing next to my house (both wild) looked an awful lot like Wild Lettuce and after doing research on it I found that it was proabably Lactuca serriola. A little lesson quick on the active components of these plants, their actives are sesquiterpene lactones, which are volatile substances. Just like S. nemorosa which also has active substances similar, I theorize that these volatile actives don't fair well to drying and smoking like so many people have tried. Also I'm not sure the tea method would do well for grabbing the actives either.

Just like S. nemmy my best idea was to try this substance sublingually, and fresh. According to my research these sesquiterpene lactones are higher in times of drought due to stressed plants, we have had a decent drought this year with a good rain here and there but mostly dry. And up until this point there hadn't been rain in weeks. I also found while reading that the actives are highest in mature plants, right before or during seed, and these plants were just there as well.. Essentially perfect conditions.

I scraped one of the stems and got a little dab of the "lactucarium" (name of the white sap which the plants exude) on my finger and wiped it under my tongue. It had a strong bitter yet planty taste. I noticed the effects pretty rapidly although subtle at this dosage they were still apparent. This experience was mostly felt physically and later on after a few hours it was obvious there was muscle relaxation going on as well as sedation, I wanted to lay down but couldn't really sleep and every time I got up I'd be swaying back and forth from the relaxed feel.

This first test run was very promising so to make sure what I felt was the real thing a week later (still no rain) I decided to try a few leaves. I placed a leaf in my mouth rolled up (spikey side inside) and chewed it slightly to release the lactucarium, then placed it under my tongue. Every minute or so I'd chew it up a little more then place it back under my tongue. I made sure to spit out most all of the saliva as this substance is said to a purgative and I also noticed stomach spasms, it seemed highly effective without swallowing.. I did this process with two leaves, one then the other, over the course of about 15 minutes then spit em out and headed home.

My place is only 10mins away and during the ride I could feel a tingly numbness spread from my head to the rest of my body. It was a very obvious sensation (something I've never felt on any opiate, and I've done em all..) and pleasant as well, on top of this I started just feeling "good." I haven't done any real opiates in many years but I am on Suboxone 1mg a day, with that said even when I was on higher dosages of suboxone I still could feel opiates to some extent just not as good as without it.

Once I got home though I had escalated from "good" to "very good" and it was obvious some opiate was having it's fun on my receptors. I checked the mirror for the sign we all know, and my pupils were without a doubt very small. I also had a bit of redness to my face although no itch. The euphoria during this peak part was beyond anything I could have ever thought of... My girlfriend was over and I was able to say alot of things that normally I can't say, yet in a way that wasn't abrasive or argumentative. (Reminded me of my heroin days when I could say and do what I wanted yet didn't do stupid shit like I would while drinking.) I also had energy when before I was beat from a full week of work, yet another close resemblance to the old days on opiates.

I started working out for the first time in a few days and felt great. Got some cleaning done, and was very talkative. It had that stimulating quality that opiates like heroin, oxycodone, and suboxone have for me, I wanted to talk and do stuff and it felt like it was hitting receptor sites that haven't been touched in a long time.. Suboxone keeps me feeling "normal" but it doesn't get me high so I'm assuming whatever got hit was rather sensitive.

At one point I even looked at my girlfriend and said "this stuff is good, almost TOO good" and she gave me that look like "you better not be fucking up right now." I'll admit it was so good I could see my mind trying to think of way to "experiment" again the next day but thankfully psychedelics have given me the power to see through my own mind games and be self aware enough to combat them. But in all honesty I couldn't help but compare it to my heroin days, it was a very euphoric opiate feeling that seemed to last for around 1 hour or so then faded off over the next two, totally 3 hours but was followed by some sedation and relaxation.

Now of course I was surprised as you may be by these effects, but they were there. The next day however would not be so fun..

I woke up around 3am as usual to take a dose of suboxone and pass back out and slept til about 7am. What seemed odd however was that I felt pretty sleepy so at 7am instead of getting back up I took my next dose of suboxone and went back to sleep. I then slept for about 5 more hours, very unusual and when I got up I felt kinda high and dizzy. I wasn't quite sure what was happening and thought maybe I just overslept so as I usually do I took my last dose of suboxone (same dosages as always) around 3pm. After the last one the dizziness get much worse, and a headache/nausea came about too. I've only felt this way on opiates one other time and when it was the first time I tried suboxone with no tolerance, took a full 8mg.

The rest of the night I could not even stand up or hold my head up, the vertigo was too bad and wound up in me throwing up and laying down the whole day.

What I didn't realize until that night was that either there was still some opium lettuce in my system causing me to feel high, or the more reasonable explanation I can think of which is that the suboxone was somehow potentiated. The next morning I was afraid to take my suboxone and didn't really feel like I needed it to be honest, I wound up taking all my doses later than normal and about 3/4 the normal amount I would take.

Over the next few days I had to keep my dosage lower than normal, and felt fine for it. It just seemed as if my suboxone had been potentiated and I was patiently waiting for the rebound but it never came. I just noticed after about 4-5 days that I needed to take my normal dose again and that was it.

Still unsure exactly what happened there at the end but I did read by another member on here that instead of acting on opiate receptors this plant causes our own body to release endorphins or something to that extent. That may make sense as to why I was able to feel the high/euphoria so well despite being on suboxone, as well as the suboxone being potentiated. Whatever the case I was blown away by how potent this substance was.

I did some reading after and found a case study of some Iranians who overdosed eating the raw leaf, their symptoms seemed to match mine to some extent but still difficult to say. The thing that most pleased me though is I know I now have access to an opiate like substance if for whatever reason I am ever in a bind and out of suboxone, it's definitely short acting and highly euphoric (potentially addictive) but it's there if I need it. There's a reason Alexander the Great built an altar for this plant, and the Egyptians depicted their god of sex as holding this plant, there's more to it than what most people have experienced.

On the note of sex, I did have sex 3 hours after dosing and it was AMAZING! Another reason it seems different than traditional opiates which dull sex, orgasm felt never ending. Maybe the Egyptians were on to something heh?
:)

Next step is to find an extraction method that yields this effect. It seems most yield a sedative like substance, and I think "drying" any form of this plant will take away that euphoria.

-GC

Last edited:
So it felt opioid like? The non-alkaloid actives always made me think it couldn't have opioid activity but then again salvia contains an incredibly potent opioid (albeit not the desirable kind).

Have you had follow up experiments (given that you wrote it up years ago)?

So it felt opioid like? The non-alkaloid actives always made me think it couldn't have opioid activity but then again salvia contains an incredibly potent opioid (albeit not the desirable kind).

Have you had follow up experiments (given that you wrote it up years ago)?

Yup without a doubt like an opiate.

Ive had many follow up experiences, only 1 more with those same plants which was similar. Since then I’ve traveled a bit and have yet to find any that hit quite as hard or good, which leads me to believe there’s regional variation.

Ive also been too scared to play too much cuz it does have some weird poteniation effect with my suboxone too. Although that could potentially be useful long term if one could use that moment to maybe taper a bit.

-GC

This makes me want to give this another go. I never had any definite, non-placebo effects from it, but I always tried to smoke the lacticarium. Time to go out back and collect some sap....

This one is a blast from the past. I tried this in the late 70's. I remember the obscure "head shops" that existed back in the day sold vials of wild lettuce extract. One of my first drug books called Recreational Drugs had a chapter on lettue opium. It even claimed the hearts of regular super market lettuce also contain lactucarium. So I even juiced and dried those. But trying the head shop extract and my own I never got much.

But if you are up to it GC that book also mentioned hydrangia, lobelia, coleus and a whole bunch of other things. I wonder if any of those are also worth revisiting. I did use coleus, I had a friend that had a landscaping business and a green house. Many coleus plants and he would call me down when he needed to trip them. I have stuffed 50-70 large coleus leaves, eaten and swallowed many times. I think there was an effect. (?) Too mild then again back then I would eat the leaves and go dirt biking (I was 16). Not much of a way to assay something. But I could swear the purple ones were strongest.

But this is very exciting someone on BL that knows opiates revisiting lettuce opium. Now we may all have too. :)

Thanks for sharing ! I find this very interesting as I've actually been researching those compounds you speak off.
The terpenes found in wild lettuce are not volatile like monoterpenes (limonene, menthol, pinene, etc...), they're sesquiterpene lactones which are quite different and more complex. AFAIK the main ones are lactucin, lactucopicrin, dihydrolactucin, 8-deoxylactucin and probably a bunch of glycoside and oxalate derivatives. I believe the first two are the most well known, IIRC one of them (probably lactucin) was found to be somewhat similar to ibuprofen or paracetamol when it comes to providing pain relief, and I believe they were talking about 100s of milligrams per dose which is a lot considering how rare and expensive they are. But I'll have to look into it because I don't quite remember the details.

Didn't know they had significant opioid effects though, that would be interesting. Or maybe they feel like an opiod without actually been one?
Btw, other plants such as chicory/endive contain all of those terpenes as well.

There's some in my area and my area is super super dry, borderline desertic, so probably the actives are pretty high on these ones,
I'll report back

I read on here somewhere that Wild Lettuce was a good opiate potentiator. That's something you might try as well.

I think I’ve spotted a wild lettuce plant near where I live.

The leaves of this plant are similar to dandelion, as in toothed/jagged.

I’ve searched online for images and seen images of the leaves as being rounded, not jagged/toothed but also pics of them being jagged/toothed.

Can it be either or is it always rounded/smooth and I have the wrong plant?

I think I’ve spotted a wild lettuce plant near where I live.

The leaves of this plant are similar to dandelion, as in toothed/jagged.

I’ve searched online for images and seen images of the leaves as being rounded, not jagged/toothed but also pics of them being jagged/toothed.

Can it be either or is it always rounded/smooth and I have the wrong plant?

If they are jagged it’s most likely L. serriola. L. virosa has rounded leaves.

-GC

I've been fascinated with this group of plants for about 2 years.

I was walking like I often did for health when I one day pondered about dandelions sometimes having multiple flowers off a stem and sometimes not.

So I studied and learnt about dandelion and false dandelion. Then sow thistle. Free salad lol. Pick young leaves tho.
Then sow thistle vs wild lettuce.

I can spot these easily but never known hoe to attempt to ingest wild lettuce.
Cook som brew down to a tincture? Seems complex.

But chew leaves you say? I'm curious for any other experiences anyone has

These plants grow everywhere around here. There are like 10 of them in my back yard. Sometimes I eat a few leaves or throw them in my salad. After about an hour of eating them I do feel quite comfortable and calmly euphoric, as if I don't have any problems. A nice occasional comfort.

Interesting. I was really interested in enthobotanicals in high school and always keeping an eye out for Datura and coleus plants. Still have some datura seeds that I got around that time that I never have and probably never will consume.

This Wild Lettuce sounds interesting though. I always just wrote it off as placebo or maybe along the lines of chamomile. Ya know, good if you're the type of person who never has tasted good hard drugs. But I do know that you know what you're talking about G-Chem and have experience. It appears that almost opium like extracts are readily available online. I wonder if smoking them would produce desirable effects or if it just wouldn't be worth the hassle?