• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why you should avoid sleeping pills - expert

foolsgold

Bluelighter
sleepingpills_620x310.jpg

We've known for a long time that hypnotic drugs are not good to take for more than one to three weeks because they are habit-forming and increase the risk of accidents. And there's now a growing body of evidence that shows they could be increasing the risk of premature death.

Hypnotics are medicines prescribed specifically to help people suffering from insomnia get a good night's sleep. This includes people who have difficulty getting to sleep as well as those who struggle to stay asleep.

The class of hypnotics prescribed the most are benzodiazepines or very closely related drugs. In this benzodiazapine class are temazepam (Normison, Temaze), flunitrazepam (Hypnodorm) and nitrazepam (Mogadon).

While these drugs are typically prescribed to people suffering from insomnia, some other well known benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium), oxazepam (Serepax) and alprazolam (Xanax) are also prescribed for anxiety.

The "Z" group of newer hypnotic medicines such as zolpidem (Stilnox) and zopiclone (Imovane, Imrest), are very similar to the benzodiazepines in their mechanisms of action and have identical issues.

Problems and more problems

Despite claims to the contrary, no hypnotic delivers sleep of the same quality as natural sleep. And there are a number of proven non-drug treatment options for insomnia, such as simple relaxation techniques that are definitely better in the long term.

The hypnotic drugs, on the other hand, are habit forming, dull cognitive abilities, increase the risk of hip fractures from falls and make other accidents more likely, especially when combined with alcohol.

They also cause serious withdrawal reactions when chronic use is stopped suddenly. Such reactions include seizures (with the risk of fractures), but more commonly, worse insomnia (and often anxiety) continue for weeks after stopping taking the drugs.

But despite these problems, a large and fairly static proportion of the population (about 6% to 10% of adults) continue to take these drugs over long periods of time. And this rate increases among older people, particularly women.

It gets worse

Adding to the already serious concerns about these drugs, there are now alarming reports linking all hypnotics with premature death and cancer.

Most recently, a study of over 10,000 people with the average age of 54 years who were prescribed hypnotics found they had a threefold or more increase in the risk of death compared to those not taking the drugs.

The researchers estimated between 300,000 to 500,000 excess deaths each year in the United States alone associated with hypnotic use. It didn't matter which hypnotic drug was examined, and this included the newer shorter acting "Z" drugs such as zolpidem (Stilnox).

This well-performed study adds to over 20 others linking these drugs to premature death and a cancer diagnosis.

A lingering criticism

The obvious criticism of this line of research is that people taking hypnotics already had cancer or poor health and that was part of the reason they had sleeping problems and were prescribed the drugs in the first place.

Indeed, it's fair to accept the possibility of the results being confounded or distorted by some undetected medical condition in a high proportion of the group prescribed hypnotics. This is always a concern and a possibility of observational studies.

The ideal would be to do a controlled study over two and a half years and randomly allocate individuals with disrupted sleep to either hypnotic medicines or a matched placebo and see if the results hold up.

But while this ideal study would most likely eliminate substantial biases, it would not be ethical. Best practice for insomnia treatment is not to prescribe these drugs beyond a few weeks and to rely on proven methods not involving drugs at all.

So we're unlikely to have much better proof that there's a greater risk of death and cancer among people who take hypnotics.

Seek alternatives

The possible mechanisms for this apparently substantial effect (premature death) remain elusive, but there are a number of possible reasons.

We know that a combination of hypnotic drugs and alcohol increases the risk of depression of brain functions that can lead to slowing of breathing. This can be lethal, especially for people who have chronic heart or lung disease.

And people taking hypnotics are more likely to have car and other accidents due to the hangover effects the next day. The drugs also increase rates of depression and therefore the risk of suicide.

But despite remaining uncertainties, this is another strong signal for prescribers and the community to be wary of chronic use of hypnotic drugs.

There's certainly no good rationale for long-term hypnotic use. And there are effective non-drug options for treating insomnia that are not pursued nearly often enough.

This article was originally published in The Conversation. Read the original article here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/news/article.cfm?c_id=204&objectid=11193090&ref=rss

I'm not willing to oblige this one, but someone probably will. A good blowy always gets me to sleep.
this had me laughing and I agree.

I personally have had some weird reactions to this class of drug.. but then again I have sleep issues.. but then again thats what these are prescribed for.. the thing was that when I woke up prematurely one time I saw the hallucination of a child walking and playing.. the thing is the hallucination looked totally real.. I new it wasn't but it looked absolutely real.. just didn't make any noise.. so there was one giveaway. the other being there was no children at the house.. But anyway I noted the time that this occurred in relation to when I took the substance. So we repeated the experiment.. another person took the drug with an alarm set to wake them up at 3 hours and 15 minutes from the time they took it. They took the drug on a couch of a lower level which had a open loft which would allow for observation. The person woke up and proceeded to have a fifteen minute conversation with someone who was not there.

This was only the two experiences of two people.. the two other drugs that we shared in common when this was done was MJ and alcohol... so the effects produced by the combination may be profound while the effects produced by the drug alone may be far less.

I have also had more than a few friends who have had strange things happen.. a friend of mine was found to be beating a plant, a small bush, with a golf club completelly naked, after mixing the drug with booze and reg amp.. this was not typical behavior for this person, sober or on the other drugs..

not saying anything about the drug.. just throwing down a few things I have seen and experienced.

^
Diphenhydramine can, according to anecdotal reports.

Do anti-histamines fall into this category?

No. They come with their own set of risks. And should generally not be taken with benzos or alcohol, fwiw. First generation antihistamines / anticholinergics are middling sedatives -- quick tolerance to the sedation and lots of side effects.

You know, I really haven't made up my mind on benzos overall. They most certainly have their place in medicine: panic attacks, seizures, alcohol withdrawal, induction, etc. They've all but replaced the barbituates because they're so much safer and better tolerated. But that's just the problem -- they're tolerated quite finely. :) And are no fun to get off of.

It's kind of striking, when I think about it, just how seamlessly a long-term benzo (and/or Z-drug) blends into the background of many middle aged and elderly patients' medical history. Some quick jot somewhere documenting insomnia, anxiety disorder +/- fibromyalgia, etc., and clonazepam 0.5mg TID ever since. And since no one's ever seen them not benzo'd up, they don't seem dopey.

Z-drugs...
This is just big pharm doing the same thing our dear research chemists are doing: creating analogues that have really similar effects, and conveniently dodge the scrutiny given to the drugs they're mimicking, by not actually being those drugs.

It's kind of striking, when I think about it, just how seamlessly a long-term benzo (and/or Z-drug) blends into the background of many middle aged and elderly patients' medical history. Some quick jot somewhere documenting insomnia, anxiety disorder +/- fibromyalgia, etc., and clonazepam 0.5mg TID ever since. And since no one's ever seen them not benzo'd up, they don't seem dopey.

I suffered from fibromyalgia, sarcoidosis (thought to be autoimmune), symptoms of irritable bowel (possibly autoimmune), depression, anxiety, sleep issues. Now all these symptoms just didn't come at once they seemed to show up over time and then seemed to get worse. With the onset of a new symptom the was the addition of a new medication. These medications seemed to help certain symptoms. But I never really seemed to really get better. So I adopted a different way of looking at all these symptoms. I started to look at them all as a pan hypothalamic dysregulation. When I read about the fibromyalgia it listed that people usually had some emotional issue like anxiety or depression. It also listed they usually had sleep issues. So like I said the conclusion I came up with that these symptoms were all interrelated. I felt that by going in individually with certain chemicals I was addressing the problems individually. But as you know neurochemistry seems so interrelated. So i think by going in and addressing these symptoms individually I was just scrambling the system more and more.

So I decided that I was going to take a different approach. I was going to treat it as one big problem. I got off all the individual medications and replaced them with with Lamictal with the thought that this may promote more of a system wide regulation and hopefully allow it to return to a homeostasis. I threw in was methylphenidate to combat the fibro fog and fatigue. i also added testosterone to treat a real low in this caused by the opiates. I made sleep hygiene and schedule and exercise a priority.

In less than four weeks I was significantly better. The fibro was gone. The sarcoid was gone.

I wonder if some of the new autoimmune and brain based disorders like fibro may be caused by the dysregulation brain chemistry by long and continuous use of some medications. I was also on xanax for over fifteen years straight before this. So I definitely feel that the constant use of medications as well as the all the manipulation I did with hard recreational drug use caused a deregulation of my hypothalamus which in turn caused the sarcoid and fibro.

Thanks for the replies re: antihistamines. I take promethazine sometimes for insomnia - usually when detoxing from pot or back when I was taking Champix I'd use it to sleep through the dreams..

The obvious criticism of this line of research is that people taking hypnotics already had cancer or poor health and that was part of the reason they had sleeping problems and were prescribed the drugs in the first place.

This is the point I always thought skewed the studies linking benzos/Z drugs to cancer. I don't doubt there is possibly some link between the 2, but I do doubt the degree to which they are linked that some statistics seem to portray

It's not just cancer or poor physical health. The article says little about the methodology but insomnia is often related to psychological problems, chronic stress being the main one. And/or depression. These problems on their own are likely to increase the likelihood of dying younger.

The other line of criticism I can think of is that these drugs are not very effective in increasing sleep duration. I know that is true at least in case of "Z" drugs. So if people taking the drugs were compared with people without sleep problems, the worse outcomes in the first group could actually be linked to lack of sleep itself.

The comparison I'm interested in would be between insomniacs taking hypnotics and insomniacs who are not treated.