• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why so many types of benzos?

Eric_81

Greenlighter
Just had a basic question in regards to benzos. Years ago I started taking Lorazepam 1mg and I quit for a long time and now I am back on them again. I get prescribed different types of Lorazepam 1mg and wondering what is the point if they all do the same thing? Why are there so many types of benzos, specifically Lorazepam?

All lorazepam is the same. Drug companies like money is your answer.

Thanks for the reply

I definitely understand the money thing. Just wondering why there are so many types of 1mg if they all do the same thing.

All brands of a drug are supposed to do the same but I have noticed differences in brands, for example, one brand od Lorazepam makes me energetic and talkative while another might make me tired. They both help with anxiety but it barely reduces anxiety imo. Kpin or Xanas would help alot more. Ativan is to take when school is boring as fuck and you want to be on something throughout the day not for anxiety at least ime

All brands of a drug are supposed to do the same but I have noticed differences in brands, for example, one brand od Lorazepam makes me energetic and talkative while another might make me tired. They both help with anxiety but it barely reduces anxiety imo. Kpin or Xanas would help alot more. Ativan is to take when school is boring as fuck and you want to be on something throughout the day not for anxiety at least ime

This could be psychological - I used Roche 'Rivotril' ('Klonopin') for over 10 years and once I could not source them any more and had to resort to using the generic versions I found that they were somewhat inferior. 3 years down the line though and I now find that they have just as good effect as the Roche and I can now use them interchangeably without noticing a difference.

The only other explanation for this would be due to the non active ingredients in the tablets (binders, colouring etc.) interacting with the active ingredient in certain patients. When Wyeth bought Lorazepam to market under patent it was marketed as Ativan / Temesta and included 0.5mg, 1mg or 2mg as its active ingredient. I personally have never found any difference between any of the 'Ativan' products (including Ativan Injection when used IM) and generic versions of the drug.

Well so far I have taken 3 different types of lorazepam and I don't really know if there was much differences or not. But they all seemed to work really good though. I just got some 1mg lorazepam but not prescribed because I didn't want to wait to get more. I'm assuming if you have taken 1 or more types all others are safe?

^Yes of course. Also the differences between brands are very subtle but it is against the forum guidlines to talk about it so that's all I'll say more about that.

Because benzodiazepines come in many different forms for many different therapeutic purposes. There's rapid-onset BZD's (i.e. temazepam or triazolam) with strong hypnotic properties for severe insomnia or on the other hand there's long-acting anxiolytic BZD's (i.e. clonazepam and diazepam) or even ultra-rapid acting hypnotic BZD's such as intravenous midazolam used for anesthesia.

Wiki "list of benzodiazepines"

All of your lorazepam is going to produce somewhat of the same effects, regardless the brand. When you venture into other categories of Benzos (Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan etc), you will come to find that they produce different feelings or will notice a difference as to how long they can last for and how long it takes for the onset. Personally I like Klonopin because I like that it can last longer than Xanax and produce similar feelings. Just my 2 cents hope it helped a bit.

Just had a basic question in regards to benzos. Years ago I started taking Lorazepam 1mg and I quit for a long time and now I am back on them again. I get prescribed different types of Lorazepam 1mg and wondering what is the point if they all do the same thing? Why are there so many types of benzos, specifically Lorazepam?

Because of

• Money
  • Patents
  • Legislation
  • Differing effects
  • Differing onset times
  • etc

There are so many different kinds of benzodiazepines because of they way they work: each one has unique receptor profile activity at the BZD complex on the GABA A receptor - this is in turn will give each benzo a certain flavor for medical purposes, ie temazepam being a strong alpha 1 agonist and being used for hypnotic purposes, or alprazolam having high affinity for the primarily anxiolytic and less sedating alpha 3 subunit.

Which is why pfizer developed alprazolam....to target the alpha 3 subunit and produce superior anxiolytic effects.

Different ones have a different pharmacological profile and are used for different things.