• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why r Shroom spores legal in the U.S. & Cannabis seeds (& soon Kratom seeds) aren't?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Why r Shroom spores legal in the U.S. & Cannabis seeds (& soon Kratom seeds) aren't?

Just wondering why shroom spores are legal in most (or all?) parts of the U.S. because they don't contain Psilocybin or Psilocyin like full grown shrooms, while in most states Cannabis seeds aren't and in particular I'm wondering about Kratom seeds with the new and horribly hypocritical Kratom ban???

Obviously I'm VERY glad shroom spores are legal but am I incorrect that most likely Kratom seeds themselves don't contain Mitragynine and the other alkaloids that produce the high and that most likely Cannabis seeds also don't contain THC??

So IF I'm correct, then why wouldn't it be legal to purchase Kratom and Cannabis seeds??

And with all the new and horrible drugs laws popping up everyday like the blanket ban in Florida which will HOPEFULLY never reach other states, especially mine LOL...is it likely that Shroom spores could ever become illegal??

I didn't see them on the last of banned substances on the stupid Florida ban list though Psilocybin and Psilocin are.

I mean anyone can reasonably assume that the only reasons to buy shroom spores are to grow them to either trip or MAYBE study, and even running studies on them is probably something only a handful of scientists can legally get away with.

So how is that the utterly corrupt DEA has been incapable of banning shroom spores but can pull it off with Kratom seeds and Cannabis seeds??

Thanks.

Mushrooms aren't really mainstream in society, even though they are in the drug underground.

Maybe the aliens told em not to ban shroom spores?

Other than that, I figure it is just luck of the draw. Maybe they just aren't focusing on shrooms because of the minority psychedelic groups using? Or maybe because it's easier to grow and hide shrooms and that banning won't do any good?

Unless you're in the DEA, it's all going to be speculation.

Mushrooms aren't really mainstream in society, even though they are in the drug underground.

Maybe the aliens told em not to ban shroom spores?

Other than that, I figure it is just luck of the draw. Maybe they just aren't focusing on shrooms because of the minority psychedelic groups using? Or maybe because it's easier to grow and hide shrooms and that banning won't do any good?

Unless you're in the DEA, it's all going to be speculation.

Thanks for the attempt at answering, but I think shrooms are WAY WAY more mainstream in society than Kratom is I just don't see how this can be the case with how much though the DEA puts into trying to eradicate EVERY mind altering substance off the face of the earth.

I think MANY more Americans know what psychedelic mushrooms are than what Kratom is and I think most would agree with me.

I REALLY think some people on this forum like some of the mods MIGHT have a better answer to this question, yet NO ONE but you is even ATTEMPTING to respond.

I wish some other people would at least GUESS as to why this is because it gives me hope that Kratom seeds could be bought without being arrested...although really it should give me LESS hope that shroom spores will remain legal but either way I just really want to know the answer to this question.

I meant to answer yesterday, actually.

Well, let me make another attempt.

Kratom generates the government way less money than conventional pills.

Going from A to B, my guess is that the USA benefits more financially from something like prescription oxycodone or fentanyl than it does from some powerful opioid like plant with 40 some odd alkaloids.

According to google, the Thai government banned it back in 1943 because they were scared it would make people switch from opium, which tax and initial cost was raking in the big bucks.

As a follow up, why would the government ban a precursor to something that isn't physically addictive?

I think pot was just in the right place at the right time. It's like a new market.

In the long run, they would lose money on a kratom market.

Just a guess :)

My guess is not that they incapable, it is that they have observed a new source of revenue and want to control it.
Ever since the epidemic on opiates started, chronic pain suffers such as myself have turned to kratom for relief. There has been a large spike in kratom use in the US over the past decade and I believe it is a direct result of practitioners refusing to appropriately and humanely treat people's pain.
If docs wont provide Tx, people will find it elsewhere. Unfortunately this often leads to street drugs, heroin, etc but kratom has been a godsend for many people.

Anyway, the DEA and US govt realize they're sitting on a cash cow and they want in. In 5 years I bet there an Rx hydroxymitriginine.

Regarding cultivation of kratom, it is highly difficult if not in tropics and yield is poor. Pretty sure it will disappear, only to pop up from time to time cut to shit with who knows what.
My 2 cents

I meant to answer yesterday, actually.

Well, let me make another attempt.

Kratom generates the government way less money than conventional pills.

Going from A to B, my guess is that the USA benefits more financially from something like prescription oxycodone or fentanyl than it does from some powerful opioid like plant with 40 some odd alkaloids.

According to google, the Thai government banned it back in 1943 because they were scared it would make people switch from opium, which tax and initial cost was raking in the big bucks.

Yeah, well obviously it makes sense that big pharma would HATE kratom and I think most who assume that the DEA is partially helping Big Pharma with this ban are probably correct.

So I can see how shroom spores would pose less of a threat to big Pharma than Kratom, BUT...I'm not so sure that the DEA wouldn't still go after shrooms spores IF THEY COULD.

So is there some actual legal reason why the DEA literally CANNOT make shroom spores illegal??

I've heard they can't because they don't contain Psilocybin or Psilocin, but then that takes us right back to the question of why that would be true IF (am I correct in assuming this??) Kratom seeds don't contain Mitraginine or Cannabis seeds don't contain THC.

I've HEARD it's a legal loophole...but is it REALLY??

Because if it's NOT...then I wouldn't be so comfortable in assuming the DEA won't EVENTUALLY make shroom spores illegal.

I don't want to jinx it though, but I'm not sure I believe I have the power to jinx anything via the internet LOL.

If they CAN do it they probably will...that's why I am wondering about this so much.

The pot thing is just ridiculous. It's legal in many states, prescribed for pain mgmt and all sorts of things by real licenses physicians but it remains federally scheduled 1. How can a schedule 1 drug (having no medicinal benefit) be simultaneously prescribed as medicine.
Makes me sick...

The pot thing is just ridiculous. It's legal in many states, prescribed for pain mgmt and all sorts of things by real licenses physicians but it remains federally scheduled 1. How can a schedule 1 drug (having no medicinal benefit) be simultaneously prescribed as medicine.
Makes me sick...

We all know this AND I think Kratom may have close to as many, if not as many or even MORE medical benefits than Cannabis.

Certainly they are both very mild and at their best can be very helpful plants and the similarities between the two in terms of the morality issues and safety profile surrounding them are ASTOUNDING...so much so that it would almost have been a GIVEN that sooner or later the DEA would demonize Kratom like they have with Cannabis.

However, Weed is moving towards legality/decriminalization and I truly DO believe that within my lifetime it will be decriminalized in at least half if not more than half of the U.S. states.

I bet it will actually be legal nationwide within my lifetime BUT I prefer Kratom to weed and that's now going to be illegal and will probably stay illegal my whole life if I am just being brutally honest about my opinion.

I LOVE Kratom and they are taking it away from us.

It's HORRIBLE.

They can't and won't go after spores anytime soon for a couple reasons.

1. Spores don't contain an illicit substance.

2. Incarcerating people over spores is costly.

3. They provide no competition for other meds in the pharmaceutical industry.

If that tells you anything about the morality of the DEA.

As for cannabis seeds, it's just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

They aren't expensive, so plenty of people may buy them to grow their crop and self medicate with it as opposed to paying for pain meds, so that is one combattant against the industry.

I already went over Kratom.

I also prefer Kratom to pot, strictly because of the half life.

:D

Last edited:
I think Kratom may have close to as many, if not as many or even MORE medical benefits than Cannabis.

Certainly they are both very mild and at their best can be very helpful plants and the similarities between the two in terms of the morality issues and safety profile surrounding them are ASTOUNDING...so much so that it would almost have been a GIVEN that sooner or later the DEA would demonize Kratom like they have with Cannabis.

I absolutely agree. I have IBD issues as well as a pretty mangled back. I have successfully replaced hydrocodone (~50mg/day for a year) with bali kratom. It produces the same constipating effect, as well as pain relief and mood lift.
This article addresses the possible presence antioxidant, anti inflammatory, and anti cancer properties in kratom

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25081682