Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Why isn't MDMA patented or legalised?

wazza

Bluelighter
One very interesting link I found regarding this (and several other issues - mainly dealing with Shulgin and MDMA)
If MDMA is so wonderful, why hasn't it been marketed by any of the big drug companies? One reason is that the drug's commercial potential is small; another was that the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) prohibited trials on humans. But perhaps the most significant obstacle to the commercial exploitation of MDMA is that it has already been patented - although the patent ran out years ago, a drug cannot be patented a second time. Before marketing a new drug, a drug company has to show that the safety risks are justified by the drug's benefits as a medicine, and this involves long and expensive trials. The only way of recouping that expense is by obtaining exclusive rights to sell the drug through holding its patent.
Anyone have any comments on this?
Full article at here

This is the same reason why few studies are done on naturally occurring substances like herbal supplements. This also explains why brand new pharmaceutical products are usually hideously expensive (think Zyban, the new arthritis drugs, etc) because the drug companies have a limited time, while the patent is in effect, to reap in the big profits.

Hmmmm....well as far as i know it is!?!I'll do some searching around,but i think you'll find it's been patented........Where you do you think rP/I/E came from
??????

But perhaps the most significant obstacle to the commercial exploitation of MDMA is that it has already been patented - although the patent ran out years ago, a drug cannot be patented a second time
This may be over simplifying matters, but umm.. isn't that your answer?

i would've thought that after a patent 'ran out' it would become public domain.. like copywrite in america which runs out after 25.. tho explaining that to a judge might prove difficult.. ask bob kolody

Yes MDMA was patented by Merck the German pharmicutical company back in 1914. Under International Patent laws this would have lapsed in 1939. To answer the second part of your question, politics.