Why is the European rave scene so much better than the American (IMO)?

That might be true. I don't know if gabber and hardstyle are big in the UK. I have no idea. But Tomorrowland is probably not the best representation of any particular country since afaik it's held in different places every year and features djs from all over. I guess the main thing is even big EDM festivals in the US are few and far between. I've never known of any even remotely close to the same state I live in, and besides Ultra I can't think of any others. At least not off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I was heavily involved in the early 90's Rave scene here in America. But the scene really went down hill in the early 00's. But we had some of the most amazing Raves around. I have never been to Europe, but I know they have a slamming scene over there till this day. I wish America still had a thriving scene like it used to. I don't care for the festivals that are huge over here. It pisses me off even more when people refer to these festivals as Raves! Garbage like UMF, EDC and the rest of those things are not Raves! I repeat:

The festivals of today are in no way shape or form Raves.

I take this very personally. I was Raving 20 years ago. Raves to me was a way of life. It was the greatest days of my life(so far). So I just like to respect things for what they are and should be recognized as. I wouldn't go to a metal festival and call it a jazz festival. So I feel Raves, true Raves should have the same decency applied to it as with any other music genre. The term "EDM" didn't exist when I was going to Raves. If I was listening to a Techno set I would refer to it as Techno. I have over 20 years of solid dedication to Raves and its music. I have been DJ'ing for a long time now and I still spin old school vinyl. I actually still buy tons of vinyl to this day. I am not really into the whole Dubstep, Big Room, Trap stuff. I am all about Gabber, Hardcore, Techno, Trance, HH

Just stopping in to say this is SO true, and it makes me sad lol I'm a HARDCORE JUNKIE and I just want to bum bum bum bum bum FIST PUMP and jump around to hardcore/hardstyle tooooo ;p It's not fair haha

I was heavily involved in the early 90's Rave scene here in America. But the scene really went down hill in the early 00's. But we had some of the most amazing Raves around. I have never been to Europe, but I know they have a slamming scene over there till this day. I wish America still had a thriving scene like it used to. I don't care for the festivals that are huge over here. It pisses me off even more when people refer to these festivals as Raves! Garbage like UMF, EDC and the rest of those things are not Raves! I repeat:

The festivals of today are in no way shape or form Raves.

I take this very personally. I was Raving 20 years ago. Raves to me was a way of life. It was the greatest days of my life(so far). So I just like to respect things for what they are and should be recognized as. I wouldn't go to a metal festival and call it a jazz festival. So I feel Raves, true Raves should have the same decency applied to it as with any other music genre. The term "EDM" didn't exist when I was going to Raves. If I was listening to a Techno set I would refer to it as Techno. I have over 20 years of solid dedication to Raves and its music. I have been DJ'ing for a long time now and I still spin old school vinyl. I actually still buy tons of vinyl to this day. I am not really into the whole Dubstep, Big Room, Trap stuff. I am all about Gabber, Hardcore, Techno, Trance, HH

Its all house music to me.

Do clubs even exist anymore? I dont see the appeal in the brightly colored, happy festivals of today. Maybe its just me, but you should only see daylight leaving a place.

Lol You obviously haven't heard Angerfist, Masters Of Hardcore,etc??? It's EDM and far from HOUSE and bright colors.... and is my shit lol

We have a thread discussing the term EDM. Well its mostly just songs now but a few thoughts on it. I havent listened but will now. To be clear, I dont mind music that can be seen as happy. I prefer a bit more melodic stuff than heavy, dark techno but there is some I enjoy. The venue should be properly dark and avant garde.

Check out the Vice channel on youtube, for a recent "rave/free-party" documentary.

:)

I'm not at all about the hardstyle/hardcore/gabber or whatever.

I'm probably showing my age there.

I would totally be into a free party with BPMs hovering in the 120 to 135 range.

I like a lot of the drumstep/dubby stuff with melodic elements throughout as well.

Not trying to sound like a meanie but there are no Raves anymore. There are Festivals and Clubs though.

Right I'm going to have to start hanging around in here a bit more as I bore the fuck out of my colleagues and the members in my own forum with my dance music talk.
Take Godskitchen for instance (here we go). I have been going to that club since they started their Friday night at the Digbeth Institute in Birmigham, UK in 1998 (160 year old listed building that has been a seminal British rave / dance music venue since 1991) and after they ended up doing parties all over the world over the last 18 years, it was a privilege to attend the actual final party they hosted at their original home in Birmingham last weekend.

eueIGx9.jpg

I'd love to talk more about where I've been, who I've seen etc over the 22 years I have been into this shit but I don't want to put you lot to sleep either

Too much mid range shitty "edm"/dubstep. Far too much and not enough quality underground sounds filtered out there yet.

House is not bright colours gabbers listened to house music..

gabber was a slang term that became a descriptor for a genre

pretty neat, if you nerd like that

=D