• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why is my tolerance to gaba drug so high.

paranoid android

Moderator: TDS
Staff member
Ive been abusing zopiclone and clonazepam lately but i am not addicted. However I had half a bottle of stoli stright and i see dont feel much

The only times I've ever felt significant tolerance to alcohol that wasn't brought on by chronic alcohol use itself is when drinking during benzo withdrawal, or after a period of heavy benzo use when my receptors were downregulated.

However, even then, I could still feel the alcohol. I just wouldn't get drunk from an amount that I would expect to get me drunk. Alcohol acts on several other receptors other than GABA to produce the effect.

Don't forget, alcohol also produces delusional sobriety, especially if you have downregulated gaba receptors/tolerance.

You might not be psychologically addicted to those 2 drugs, but your receptors are probably downregulated.

It is also possible to acquire significant psychological tolerance to alcohol. At home .. on my own I can drink an entire bottle of gin and barely feel drunk at all whereas 3 or 4 pints at the pub will have me wrecked. Home is a stable easier to cope with environment so it's easier to passively ignore the effect of the alcohol though it wasn't until I developed benzo tolerance that I noticed I could drink a bottle of gin like that. There may or may not be a connection.

Shame really .. it's nice if you can have a bottle of spirits around for the odd drink now and again .. but now I can't.

In my personal experience, I never felt good off anything that is primarily a gabergic. Not Phenibut, not clonezpam, definitely not Valium, not kava, not Ativan, and maybe once or twice on Xanax but was hard to find that effect again. And please note I always had a very low tolerance to these drugs. This was over a 20 year period just dabbling when they are around.

I will say that they are very useful for what they are meant for if prescribed for short term, well maybe clonezpam outweighs the risks in epileptics that can’t tolerate or get benefit from other drugs. They were useful for alcohol withdrawl and when I went to the ER for stimulant overdose, but that’s really all I like them for. I just don’t enjoy the high.

Seems like gaba drugs make me feel depressed when I’m high on them (not in therapeutic doses). Even real high quality kava sent me strait into a depression day 1.