View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Why is LSA considered a depressant?

Aederine

Greenlighter
Hello, I've tried HBWR before and it was a very joyful experience with a very impressive afterglow of strong antidepressant effect.

The next day I was feeling extremely happy, doing the dishes as if it was the apex of human joy, lol.

So here's my question: Wikipedia says it's classified as a depressant. IIRC I also found information of someone experimenting with isolated LSA (Shulgin most probably) and the effects were of a depressant nature.

So, it isn't LSA per se that causes the euphoria of HBWR? What other compounds present in the seed are responsible for the experience of happiness?

One of those cases where you need to apply some critical thought to what you are reading. That claim is uncited and there is nothing to suggest logic behind it.

Further, depressants can cause euphoria (eg opioids). The name does not refer to them making you depressed but to depression of the central nervous system.

Extracted LSA is generally agreed to be a psychedelic, as it is inside HWBR seeds.

^Exactly. There is a difference between a "Central Nervous System (CNS) depressant" and being "depressed". a depressant would be something like alcohol, which simply means that it sedates you by depressing your cognitive/CNS functioning. Having a depressant in your system has nothing to do with being depressed. I successfully used depressants to escape depression for a long time, for example.

LSA's found in HBWR or MG seeds as well as quite a number of psychedelic tryptamines (including those in mushrooms) have some tendency to promote lethargic and dreamy states, but not reliably: you may also feel active.

Yes Transform explains the definition of depressant drugs well, but it is not even that relevant here in my opinion whatever wikipedia may claim:

I actually doubt that with these compounds there is much depression of the nervous system from a very active parasympathetic nervous system as with classical depressant drugs, but certain types of serotonergic activity (I am also thinking of pure releasers like MDAI or compounds like AMT) can evidently play a big role in those relaxed laid-back mellow dreamy states of consciousness without there being typical CNS depression. Especially when there is lack of other activity of a stimulating nature, activity that may be more prominent with say phenethylamine psychedelics or LSD.

So I think that lethargy and laid-back dreaminess is reported relatively often with LSA-seeds, and that may be the reason for wikipedia's confusing classification.

So I think that lethargy and laid-back dreaminess is reported relatively often with LSA-seeds, and that may be the reason for wikipedia's confusing classification.

I've known more than one person who claimed that HBWR seeds put them to sleep.

I weirdly tend to fall asleep on AMT, is that also a depressant drug according to you?

All I'm saying is: it is confusing to classify a drug according to what most would consider a side-effect more than anything. In any event, drugs that put you to sleep are called hypnotics.

For some reason, Ergine is classified as a depressant in the US CSA. I have no idea how it obtained this classification but as previously discussed, ergine and its analogues are not CNS depressants.

Again, not reliably... plenty of people appear to feel like lying around from it, others prevalently feel 'increased energy levels', same for mushrooms.

As for energy levels, most people are not yogics (neither am I), and the change in psychosomatic energy from many psychedelics (some especially) can manifest in different ways. That way can depend on how intuitive the person is with channeling it, everyone is unique that way. Call it the resultant effect in nervous, endocrine and cardiovascular systems, but in my experience/opinion this increase in activity is managed best by having a positive outlet like meditation, dancing, but also forms of martial arts or other expressive activities. Activities that are too passive for the body or too passive for the mind don't seem to work well - but anything done with great care and attention is probably good.
If not, it can feel like conflict and discomfort just like restlessness while trying to fall asleep feels very annoying. Body load may be that much stronger: if you cramp up you channel the effect of the drug to your insides.

My point being that while the effect of these drugs is not super reliable, it may very well be that you can influence how it manifests by changing your set and setting so that you have good focus, well-rested and energetic to begin with and make the right choices in diet and exercise starting before the onset of the trip. I kinda think that this starting state is suggestive to how the psychedelic enhances and amplifies it... if you do very little to start with the day you dose, it seems less likely that you will suddenly feel energized.

@MGS: interesting! Did not know that :)

It's not really a depressant. Some tripps can have a sedating side-effect it's a little dreamy. In my experience..

OMG, great contribution from all of you. Thank you very much.

Indeed I got too carried away with the term "depressant". My experience was also of laying around, however, it was the most energetic lying around.

Paradoxical effects are indeed common traits of psychedelics anyway.