• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Why is kratom so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
Seriously. I'm currently 2 weeks sober from morphine and oxy and I've come to the realization that it would've cost less for me to buy 2 10mg oxycodone a week, cut them into 4ths and make them last me 8 days. I did some calculations and found that if I rationed 2 oxycodone, it would cost me less than $25 a week, methadone maintenance would cost $50 a week, and kratom costs over $100 a fucking week. Its like the drug industry is setting me up for a relapse because they know most junkies are broke. Why is the best and safest option the most expensive option? How does anyone expect this to be a good recovery tool if kratom, a natural supplement, costs more than industrial strength narcotics in the long run? Financially, relapsing would be the right thing to do, but morally, staying on kratom would be right thing to do (by societal standards). So what should I do? Relapse because my drug of choice is cheaper? Keep paying for overpriced kratom? I just don't get this ass-backwards system.

A Smartshop owner told me a lot of Kratom gets seized atm by customs. And its not even illegal. Theoratically this could drive the price up. And makes ordering risky.

But like simstim noted when buying bulk, especially direcly from the source, its one of the cheapest drugs. Att 100 dollars for 800 gram + free shipping.
160 5 gram doses. 0.625 $ for a solid dosage. Even less in Euro's as the Dollar was quite low back then.

That sounds like about what people pay for the shots.
Thats exactly what they are, shots... funny I can get 20mg oxy IR for 15$ but I am always an idiot and fucing get junkie status and take too much then I fight my withdrawals with krater. I will say though once I get that first 30mg IR in in its like the very first time doing oxy. I guess I am young, 40's, so I don't have serious withdrawals unless it was the one time I through myself in PW off fake 30's
I also kinda like it cause it lowers my tolerance from like 200mg plus a day to like 90 max
when I switch from fake 30's to real oxy, 5-6 m30's a day was equal to 200mg three times a day to feel NO withdrawal and then I slowly lowered my dose from there, imagine taking 600mg off oxy a day.

If you have enough discipline to make 2 tablets of 10mg oxy last you 8 days it doesn't sound like you even need a replacement therapy. You have 2 weeks clean so physically you are good to go.

So now the mental aspect comes into play. Cravings are now intense and the probability of relapse is great. So how do i tickle those receptors without going back on the opioids I am trying to quit ? Most people turn to kratom and for some it works and for others it doesn't. Kratom ( even the extracts ) doesn't compare to oxy and some people just can't be satisfied as the urge for the " high " is just too great.

I used it to transition off the compulsion to take opioids to self medicate my depression and anxiety. Oxy and Vicodin work great for those two maladies but unless we have our own scripts that means that we have to buy someone else's. If the supply is steady....and cheap....we have it made. If our source gets cut off or they start charging an arm and a leg for one pill it gets real old , real quick. So while kratom can't compare to pharmaceutical opioids it can ease the symptoms of why we were taking pills in the first place. Kratom IS pretty expensive but the plus side is I can obtain it legally, I don't have to worry that my source isn't home or has sold it to someone else, if I am driving home with the pills in my pocket and happen to get pulled over I won't get a felony if they find them, I'm not making my friend rich as they are charging ten bucks for one lousy 5mg vicodin or 30 bucks for one oxy of which i need 2 of to blast off so now i'm out 60 bucks for a 4 hour high. When we look at it from that perspective kratom is cheap.

Whichever route you go i wish you luck in your recovery and hope you can find a balance that will allow you to feel better without going back to your drugs of choice.

Seriously. I'm currently 2 weeks sober from morphine and oxy and I've come to the realization that it would've cost less for me to buy 2 10mg oxycodone a week, cut them into 4ths and make them last me 8 days. I did some calculations and found that if I rationed 2 oxycodone, it would cost me less than $25 a week, methadone maintenance would cost $50 a week, and kratom costs over $100 a fucking week. Its like the drug industry is setting me up for a relapse because they know most junkies are broke. Why is the best and safest option the most expensive option? How does anyone expect this to be a good recovery tool if kratom, a natural supplement, costs more than industrial strength narcotics in the long run? Financially, relapsing would be the right thing to do, but morally, staying on kratom would be right thing to do (by societal standards). So what should I do? Relapse because my drug of choice is cheaper? Keep paying for overpriced kratom? I just don't get this ass-backwards system.

How much kratom are you taking per day 🤔. Sounds like you're taking capsules maybe? How many per day? And how many times a day?

Unless you're buying it in small amounts each time, $100/week of in-store bought encapsulated kratom should bring you to around 35-50g a day (70+ capsules). If that's the case, this would be way more than what you were taking in terms of total opioid equivalent. I'd say, on very, very crude terms, that 1g of kratom might be equivalent to around 1mg of oxycodone in terms of opioid equivalency (though the effects are quite different).

Or perhaps you're drinking the little bottles of liquid extract. Which bring you to $100/week in no time. Hopefully that is the case because it would mean your habit isn't that large.

Either way becareful, because it sounds like you might be taking more kratom than you probably need (given your prior habit) and could wind up in a much deeper hole than you were in before in terms of opioid dependency.

Kratom dependency sucks, whenever I get hooked on it I eventually find myself dosing every 6 hours just to avoid the withdrawal.

It's not difficult to make your own crude extract with pure ethanol.
I thought making kratom extracts was very difficult, involving the need for some lab equipment and different solvents etc - there is a YouTube video of some guy extracting Kratom. But then I could just soak my kratom in high percentage alcohol and filter it, then let evaporate? Or how would I do it?

Yeah, most extracts are a rip-off. The local vendor here sells a "20x" extract just slightly above the price of leaves but it isn't 20x if you ask me. Still, given the wholesale price of kratom even the regular leaves are kind of a rip-off.

I thought making kratom extracts was very difficult, involving the need for some lab equipment and different solvents etc - there is a YouTube video of some guy extracting Kratom. But then I could just soak my kratom in high percentage alcohol and filter it, then let evaporate? Or how would I do it?
Making a relatively pure extract or isolating mitragynine is fairly complex, yeah, but you can make a crude one fairly easily. Results in a resinous black paste, doesn't look too pleasant but is effective. I think it's around 5x strength as powder.

I believe @Las Veghost grower made a thread about it and has experience.

Thats exactly what they are, shots... funny I can get 20mg oxy IR for 15$ but I am always an idiot and fucing get junkie status and take too much then I fight my withdrawals with krater. I will say though once I get that first 30mg IR in in its like the very first time doing oxy. I guess I am young, 40's, so I don't have serious withdrawals unless it was the one time I through myself in PW off fake 30's
I also kinda like it cause it lowers my tolerance from like 200mg plus a day to like 90 max
when I switch from fake 30's to real oxy, 5-6 m30's a day was equal to 200mg three times a day to feel NO withdrawal and then I slowly lowered my dose from there, imagine taking 600mg off oxy a day.
600mg of oxy?! Fuuuuck....I could handle 200mg or so at the most.

How much kratom are you taking per day 🤔. Sounds like you're taking capsules maybe? How many per day? And how many times a day?

Unless you're buying it in small amounts each time, $100/week of in-store bought encapsulated kratom should bring you to around 35-50g a day (70+ capsules). If that's the case, this would be way more than what you were taking in terms of total opioid equivalent. I'd say, on very, very crude terms, that 1g of kratom might be equivalent to around 1mg of oxycodone in terms of opioid equivalency (though the effects are quite different).

Or perhaps you're drinking the little bottles of liquid extract. Which bring you to $100/week in no time. Hopefully that is the case because it would mean your habit isn't that large.

Either way becareful, because it sounds like you might be taking more kratom than you probably need (given your prior habit) and could wind up in a much deeper hole than you were in before in terms of opioid dependency.

Kratom dependency sucks, whenever I get hooked on it I eventually find myself dosing every 6 hours just to avoid the withdrawal.
I've been drinking the little shot bottles that look similar to 5hr energy shots. Just to get 3 or 4 hrs of sleep from it, I gotta drink a whole bottle or 1 and a half bottles every night and its far from cheap. I can deal with daytime restlessness without taking anything. Its just an insomnia aid as of now. The brand's I've been buying are Ultra Enhanced Gold 3x (proprietary blend 2250mg), K Chill (proprietary blend 1115mg), and Kryptic Kratom (proprietary blend 490mg). They contain numerous other herbs listed in the ingredients as well. I get them from a well-known convenience store chain. I would prefer to stick with 1 brand but sometimes they're out of stock. The lack of consistency sucks too.

Yeah the shots are gonna be really expensive. Good on you for being off of opiates. Unfortunately if you don't want it to break the bank you'll probably have to get used to taking the regular powder mixed with something. There are ways to do it that help with the bad earthy taste. I will typically mix mine with orange juice. Throw some cinnamon and honey in there to help too. I used to get those big bags of gnc protein powder and throw some of that in there too. Sounds gross, but it's better than just taking the stuff straight or with water.

Alternatively you can get a capsule machine and make capsules. But just buying the shots retail likely won't be sustainable if you're on any kind of budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.