• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stimulants Why is it that if I take my Vyvanse in the AM and then go back to sleep, it doesnt work AT ALL once I wake up..?

ivorymoon

Bluelighter
As you probably know, Vyvanse takes somewhere around 2 hours to kick in because the lisdextroamfetamine has to metabolize into dextroamphetamine. When I first started taking it, I woke up two hours before I had to start getting ready to take it and then go back to sleep so that by the time I had to wake up, it would be working and I'd be able to start getting ready for the day.

That was the plan anyhow but once my alarm went off again two hours later, I woke up and felt zero effects. I figured it would kick in if I started getting ready but it didn't. It seriously felt like I didn't even take it.

Just the other day, I took it and accidentally fell back asleep and the same damn thing happened.

It makes no fucking sense to me. When I was still in active addiction, I could take methadone, morphine, or xanax or I could take a few shots and then take a nap and i would wake up high/drunk.

Like, I didn't expect the Vyvanse to kick in so strong that it would wake me up, I didn't even expect to wake up and feel the full blown effects, but i did expect that as i moved around while getting ready, the effects would gradually build up to its full potential.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why the hell would going to sleep after taking it seemingly cancel out the effects entirely? Hell, even falling asleep for just 15 minutes makes it so that it doesn't feel like it kicks in.

Thanks in advance!

This happens to me with pretty much anything and i'm surprised you haven't experienced it with other drugs. I can't explain it but a quick nap is one of the best methods for sobering up, for me anyway.

This happens to me with pretty much anything and i'm surprised you haven't experienced it with other drugs. I can't explain it but a quick nap is one of the best methods for sobering up, for me anyway.
I really wanna understand the physiological reason that this happens! What is it about the chemicals our brains produce when we sleep that causes this to happen? I find it to be so peculiar and intriguing.

Yeah that has happened to me with adderall. After taking a few days in a row I never feel it at all anymore . Have to take a few weeks off all the time to feel it .

Possibly your digestive system is still shut down while in the depths of the final stages of your sleep cycles, so it's not passing through to the small intestine, where it gets absorbed, until you wake up?

Otoh, if you're basing it "working" entirely on the subjective feeling of it 'kicking in', but you're asleep when it 'kicks in', then perhaps it's just that? Because the drug will still be in your system, regardless.

Maybe your tolerance is too high for some reason? I assume you've considered this? Hm are you taking?

That's a weird effect because for lots of people high on m-amp, they go to sleep on benzos but are still high when they wake up. Must be something to do with the sustained release of Vyvance.

Possibly your digestive system is still shut down while in the depths of the final stages of your sleep cycles, so it's not passing through to the small intestine, where it gets absorbed, until you wake up?

Otoh, if you're basing it "working" entirely on the subjective feeling of it 'kicking in', but you're asleep when it 'kicks in', then perhaps it's just that? Because the drug will still be in your system, regardless.
That's an interesting possibility, thank you. When I say "kick in", I don't mean it in a high type of way. I just mean that I can tell when it starts working because I can feel my focus and motivation heighten, as well as my lethargy and sleepiness subside. I'm prescribed the vyvanse for chronic lack of energy and to help boost my mood due to severe depressive episodes caused by bipolar II.

Reactions: CFC
Maybe your tolerance is too high for some reason? I assume you've considered this? Hm are you taking?
Nope, it's not a tolerance issue. When I stay awake after taking it, it works perfectly. It only doesn't work if I take it then go to sleep before it has a chance to metabolize into d-amp. It's strange.

That's a weird effect because for lots of people high on m-amp, they go to sleep on benzos but are still high when they wake up. Must be something to do with the sustained release of Vyvance.
I don't understand what you mean. Also, I don't use methamphetamine. I mean, I used to while I was still in active addiction but that's irrelevant. I'm just trying to figure out why the vyvanse works perfectly fine if I stay awake after I take it but seems to not work at all if I take it and then go to sleep before it has a chance to metabolize into d-amp.

Yeah that has happened to me with adderall. After taking a few days in a row I never feel it at all anymore . Have to take a few weeks off all the time to feel it .
That's the thing, though. I can take it as many days in a row as I want to and it works perfectly as long as I stay awake after taking it. If I take it and then take a nap before it has a chance to metabolize into d-amp, it seems like it doesn't work at all even though enough time has passed for it to start working.

When you sleep your mind "tares" the brain activity, especially if it comes on slowly as with Vyvanse. I sometimes blacked out due to OD while on amps and woke up just two hours later with still a shit-ton of it in my body feeling a whole lit better, eventhough I should've been tweaked out my eyes..

When you sleep your mind "tares" the brain activity, especially if it comes on slowly as with Vyvanse. I sometimes blacked out due to OD while on amps and woke up just two hours later with still a shit-ton of it in my body feeling a whole lit better, eventhough I should've been tweaked out my eyes..
I'm glad you survived your overdose. 💜

I'm climbing M.Everest atm, Vaping real EUTYLONE. Had 3 tokes already at 126 BPM.!
It's really good :D

I have a theory. It could be absolutely wrong but here it goes. I believe that when we are asleep, due to the slowing of our body's digestive system, these drugs may be hanging out it a very acidic environment for longer than if we were awake and upright.

It is a guess, but I really think it has to do with these two factors.

A: Being asleep

B: Being prone

If I am not mistaken, the majority of these drugs are absorbed in the intestines and not in the stomach.

Reactions: CFC
I have a theory. It could be absolutely wrong but here it goes. I believe that when we are asleep, due to the slowing of our body's digestive system, these drugs may be hanging out it a very acidic environment for longer than if we were awake and upright.

It is a guess, but I really think it has to do with these two factors.

A: Being asleep

B: Being prone

If I am not mistaken, the majority of these drugs are absorbed in the intestines and not in the stomach.
You know what, I bet you're right. I've heard that amps are super finicky when it comes to acidity. That's the very reason I don't drink coffee anymore on the days I take my Vyvanse. Well shit, thanks man! I very much appreciate you!

Me too, I had Elvanse (Europe) and retarded stuff never kicks in. It needs long to come but then, If you're an ADHD you ffeel just OK for the day, and that's how it should work or not?

JJ