• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Why is cannabis still illegal? (An interesting read...)

pbuilder

Bluelighter
I used to actually not like weed. From my few experiences in grade 9 and 10 with the drug, it made me feel paranoid as hell, I hated trying to hide being stoned from my parents, or un-stoned people, and in general I just felt kinda shitty, and even sometimes nauseaous on weed. At the time I had a severe phobia of vomitting, which is why being stoned while nauseous would make me feel so horrible. I still don't know why cannabis at that time caused me nausea, I didn't smoke very much, not even close to what I do now. I would get HIGH AS HELL from a single toke of weed. I think I honestly just wasn't mentally ready for the psychoactive effects of cannabis yet.

So years passed, and I got into other drugs, which eventually led me back to weed. I was out of highschool now, but not in college, so I had a lot of free time, and began smoking cannabis occasionally on weeknights a few hours before bed, and when I was alone the high was so enjoyable compared to my first experiences, and then I could fall asleep almost instantly, and I've had issues with insomnia for years. So suddenly, I flipped and began to instantly like weed, when before I literally thought it was a terrible drug from my first experiences with it. I eventually got comfortable smoking weed around other people, and even going out in public and doing stuff while stoned, and i'm now mentally in control enough that I avoid any paranoid thoughts pretty well even in those situations around others and in public while stoned.

So I'm now a daily cannabis user, how ironic. I smoke between 1 gram and 1.5 grams per day. It definetely helps with overall mood, appetite, motivation, anxiety, and tons of other things, like minor withdrawals from dabbling into opiates for too many days straight.

Anyways, out of every drug I've used now, cannabis by far has the most positive effects, and the least negative effects. I mean, are there even any negative effects to weed if you can just accept the high and get past the paranoid mental aspect? There is no hangover really IMO, and the worst side effect is falling asleep after getting too stoned. Which is almost a positive side effect lol? Food tastes better, music is better, I'm more creative, I overall just FEEL BETTER. With any other drug that does this, it's only a honeymoon period and the negative side effects soon show up. But not with weed, I can literally just stop at any time, there are no physical side effects or withdrawals I get from stopping, and only very minor mental cravings. That is it! To me it's almost a miracle drug now, it's so weird how much I've come to enjoy it when my first experiences with it were so negative, but I think it's just because I was just too young when I first tried it. Cannabis use shouldn't be legal until the age of 18 or 19+.

Anyways, so I read this article on this random pot activist website earlier today, and it really made me thing about how rediculous it is that marijuana is not only still illegal, but actually still a scheduel 1 drug federally in the states? That is insanely rediculous, that a drug that hasn't killed anyone ever, and has so many positive effects on patients with ailments, could not only still be illegal, but also still a scheduel 1 drug federally! Anyways, here is the article.

PS. I live in Canada where I believe cannabis is a scheduel two. It is still federally illegal, and not legal in any provinces for recreational use (yet). But in generally, cops are pretty relaxed with weed in the city I live in, I mean, if you catch the wrong cop while smoking a joint you might get arrested but most look the other way. And the weed is cheap, and of great quality.

EDIT: Nevermind, out of schedule 1-8 in Canada, weed is actually the lowest schedule at schedule 8 for personal amounts, I did not know this :O

"the penalties for the possession of drugs in Schedule VIII (up to 30g of cannabis and 1g of hashish)"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Canada

Think you know why Cannabis has not been repealed?
The number one reason (IMO) why marijuana
is still against the law in America.

There are many reasons why Marijuana remains a Schedule One "drug" in the eyes of our Federal Government. The classification of a Schedule One drug means;

"There is no (as in ZERO) medicinal value to this plant"

Number one reason why cannabis, marijuana and hemp are illegal.

However, on October 7, 2003 The United States Government as represented by the Department of Health and Human Services was granted a U.S. Patent (#6630507) on any and all uses and applications of: Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants.

That's right, our hypocritical government has a Patent on the affects of Cannabis on the human body. But it has no medicinal value... right? Or so THEY say.

So medical is this Patent that if you read it, you may just need some education in medicine to understand what you are reading. Let alone to comprehend it. So please help me remember to get my Patent applications in order for dandelions, pine trees, and algae among other natural plants that God has left for us all. You know like Aloe and what it does naturally for us...

If the U.S. Government can do it, why can't we?
As silly as it seems, these are FACTS.

So, I want to Patent "Food" as a cure for hunger. That's right, any food - And I want retro-active royalties too! People get hungry, we digest food, plants, vegetables, meats and eggs and we temporarily 'cure' hunger. Hence a Patent on the affects of food on hunger.

No it is NOT funny, but it is just as ridiculous (IMO). Hypocritical of our government? Of course it is... And don't get me started on our "professional" and "highly educated" medical community. They have remained ignorant for many years (intentionally if you ask me).

But I digress...

Many people know and recognize other "strongly supported" and factual reasons on why cannabis remains illegal today. Remember, we are talking about a plant here. A natural herb.

WARNING: Truth will follow, so pay close attention please.

Paper, Forestry and the Chemicals industries. They can't have Hemp or Cannabis to interfere with their BILLION dollar (existing) industries. Why stop cutting down 20 - 50 year old trees? Because Hemp can provide better paper every 6 - 9 months without the chemicals the trees need to create it. And who needs trees anyway? /sarcasm OFF

Forestry and Textile industries fight to keep marijuana prohibition.

The Pharmaceutical and Medical industries cannot make huge profits from a plant grown naturally around the World. Not to mention actually "curing" people from cancers and ailments. Fuel companies do not want the competition from a bio-fuel created from hemp oil that is both people and eco-friendly. What would they do except lose MONEY?

Medical, pharmaceutical and fuel oil industries want cannabis and hemp prohibition to continue.

Cotton and Fabrics: The Hemp plant would directly complete with these manufacturers. We can't have that, a plant that farmers could grow and create jobs from? Very undesirable for some existing big companies.

Here are just a few more to consider; Can you guess who might not want these products competing with them?

Natural Food, Nutritional Supplements, Livestock Feed and Bedding, Construction, Body Care Products, Molded Plastics (actually bio-degradable), and there's more too. How about our revenue generating police departments and our existing prison systems for profits? ALL serious benefactors of relying on the continued prohibition of this miracle plant.

These multi-billion dollar organizations pay many millions of dollars in lobbying and contributions to political parties and hopefuls strictly to "protect" their markets. Cannabis is a HUGE threat to them and there are more...

Quite frankly though - Nobody seems to care that much that more and more people know about the above reasons (truths). As of late, I have personally come to the realization that the number one reason cannabis is still illegal is because;

"It keeps and makes people HEALTHIER, HAPPIER and we LIVE longer"

Sure, I can hear you laughing at me. But I see our World moving more and more towards tyranny and protecting ONLY the wealthy, etc. I think people are in denial if they cannot see that direction. Take a look at the 'new' laws being made and draw a logical conclusion.

Having a natural plant that is actually "curing" cancers and healing 100's of other human ailments (see here) is not in the government's (or the other organizations listed) best interest at all, nor in their agenda. A natural healer that actually fights GMO's and other man-made diseases and does not rely on the medical complex they have helped to build. Having people live longer and healthier lives is just NOT acceptable to the powers that be.

Sad? Absolutely (at a minimum). But outside the realm of possibilities? I don't think so.

Pre 1942, many Americans knew that marijuana was a natural medicine.
Educated individuals are not seeking decriminalization or even legalization. We are seeking to REPEAL the Federal cannabis and marijuana laws entirely.

What they call a "War on Drugs" has simply been a "War on our People" as far as marijuana anyway. It is all about control my friends.

The current Administration has many believing that they are honestly concerned with our healthcare. I say otherwise, I say even that is all about money (our money). Our government does NOT care about our health. You are disillusioned if you believe this (again, IMO).

Otherwise (for one example), we would ALL be well informed, concerned and taking some action on the radiation that is engulfing an entire Coast of our Country due to the Fukushima disaster. Water, plants and marine life are all negatively affected. All I hear from our so called concerned government is crickets. We have 'nothing' to worry about is what was said.

But that is another article entirely. If anyone was caring about our health, then cannabis, medical marijuana and hemp would be a huge priority as well as a much needed economic BOOM for our entire Country. Marijuana is NOT our enemy, it never was, it is our ally.

Don't you agree?

- See more at: http://www.weedsthatplease.com/repealcannabislaw.htm#sthash.lNRWUJiC.dpuf

Last edited:
Not that I am against it at all, but as you said yourself, that natural herb made you quite uncomfortable when you were younger.

It does the same to me, and not that it's super okay or not dangerous at all (physically) but it takes you to places and bad trips. And it can be a little powerful for a naive mind.

One thing I clearly remember from Amsterdam coffees is how some tourists just had lost it completely..

If I was ever going to wear the shoes of those contrary to cannabis I could use your first paragraphs to make a point.

Not that I am against it at all, but as you said yourself, that natural herb made you quite uncomfortable when you were younger.

It does the same to me, and not that it's super okay or not dangerous at all (physically) but it takes you to places and bad trips. And it can be a little powerful for a naive mind.

One thing I clearly remember from Amsterdam coffees is how some tourists just had lost it completely..

If I was ever going to wear the shoes of those contrary to cannabis I could use your first paragraphs to make a point.

Which is why I fully support it getting the same control laws as alcohol. (Which is funny, because alcohol is such a deadly, life destroying substance, and weed is the complete opposite!) Which in Canada requires you to be 19+ to purchase. Any sane person would avoid the drug like the plague after the first few bad experiences, which is what I did until I got older. And then it changed, I guess I just wasn't a kid anymore, and I had no reason to be paranoid on it, and I could experiment in a controlled comfortable environment with the it and it almost immediately became a miracle drug for me. Had I waited until I was 19 to first use it, I probably would have loved it from day 1.

Yes, I see your point and think we are slowly getting there. Recently, in a country in South America (Uruguay) legalized Marijuana.

*I still uncomfortable with this idea. I only consider the 'cost benefit' and hope that it never gets to the point where drinking has. As a medication maybe.

As I've heard Europe, will lead the way. In US, some states have accepted it as part of different medical treatments.

**You are right about alcohol, it's a drug frequently compared to heroin in terms of devastating side effects if you don't drink with moderation. Social challenges, broken homes, jobless alcoholics have led us all to think how damaging is to become physically hooked to alcohol.

This would never happen with cannabis and we all know that. It's just a matter of time I guess..

Last edited:
Have you folks contacted your senators and advised them to support the CARES Act?

I still don't feel comfortable with the idea. I know how bad drinking is and I am not so sure we want to add something that alters ones state of mind.

Like I said I'm just hoping for the 'cost benefit' results and for its use limited for those who need it like a medication or something to help coming off addiction.

Long post.. I've wanted to write this for a while :)

I smoked 2-3 grams of strong weed every day, for about 4 years. 4 other years I smoked about a gram a day. I can tell you me and many of my friends who all had the same habits have a lot of troubles. I get a lot of physical pains when I smoke now, and even smoking 0.1 gram gave me a 5 hour panic attack last week, thought I was going to die, heart arrhythmia etc. The bad effects for most people (including me) started after 4-5 years of heavily smoking and then started to get worse.

I'm pretty sure a lot has to do with the chemicals put in weed these days. I live in the Netherlands and if you buy weed that's 14 euro a gram the high is more intense than most harddrugs (before you develop tolerance). I sometimes buy 'clean' weed from a homegrower but it's just so much weaker so everybody here buys in coffee shops. You can definately tell it's a different high as well. I'm pretty sure more and more people are getting issues, now that weed is becoming legal (and with that, much stronger) in more places. Just read some marijuana withdrawal forums, it can be really tough. Many people I know claim they are not addicted but haven't skipped a single day of smoking for years while getting anxiety attacks from it, total loss in interest in anything and becoming total zombies. And not even from smoking 24/7, most of them have normal jobs and still have such effects while only smoking in the evenings after work.

About hangovers, they will come. Instead of pressing snooze 3 times, I pressed it 300 times until it was 15:00 and I had to wake up to at least do something. Not at start, but at one point there wasn't a single point in the day I really felt awake. I've had moments where I couldn't even remember what I did the past 10 years, just totally spacing out. And this was not from smoking too much, those things just happened at random times, the amount I smoked didn't really matter. Not many people I know had the same but some other guys who I smoked every day with for years have had similar symptoms, some even ending up in rehab.

Now ofcourse every person is different, but me and all people I grew up with never had a single issue for years, happily smoking. I don't say weed per se is bad, it's obvious it's not meant to be used the way we used it. However since a lot of people start smoking when they're a teenager they often get addicted while not realizing it themselves. You can ask any 20+ year old who smokes daily for 4+ years if he is addicted or not. 80% will say no but I bet you they can't stop even for 48 hours.

I don't want to sound like some wise ass or hater against stoners/weed, if you live good with it, that's awesome (same goes for alcohol and other drugs)

But a lot of us ARE addicted and suffer from a lot of problems because of it. Often people don't even realize it's the weed that makes them feel bad instead of good in the long run.

Thing is when you look for weed you see the positive stories, you hear the positive stories around you & you have a positive experience yourself. If you google some negative things about weed you will see tons of people with serious issues. I've had over 1000 evenings where I got high successfully, just like you, I did have amazing nights, fun times, ideas (I do web developement & design) while getting high. No negative effects whatsoever. But at one point it all went dark and it took me years to climb out and I still suffer from a lot of anxiety and various other problems.

Last edited:
Long post.. I've wanted to write this for a while :)

I smoked 2-3 grams of strong weed every day, for about 4 years. 4 other years I smoked about a gram a day. I can tell you me and many of my friends who all had the same habits have a lot of troubles. I get a lot of physical pains when I smoke now, and even smoking 0.1 gram gave me a 5 hour panic attack last week, thought I was going to die, heart arrhythmia etc. The bad effects for most people (including me) started after 4-5 years of heavily smoking and then started to get worse.

I'm pretty sure a lot has to do with the chemicals put in weed these days. I live in the Netherlands and if you buy weed that's 14 euro a gram the high is more intense than most harddrugs (before you develop tolerance). I sometimes buy 'clean' weed from a homegrower but it's just so much weaker so everybody here buys in coffee shops. You can definately tell it's a different high as well. I'm pretty sure more and more people are getting issues, now that weed is becoming legal (and with that, much stronger) in more places. Just read some marijuana withdrawal forums, it can be really tough. Many people I know claim they are not addicted but haven't skipped a single day of smoking for years while getting anxiety attacks from it, total loss in interest in anything and becoming total zombies. And not even from smoking 24/7, most of them have normal jobs and still have such effects while only smoking in the evenings after work.

About hangovers, they will come. Instead of pressing snooze 3 times, I pressed it 300 times until it was 15:00 and I had to wake up to at least do something. Not at start, but at one point there wasn't a single point in the day I really felt awake. I've had moments where I couldn't even remember what I did the past 10 years, just totally spacing out. And this was not from smoking too much, those things just happened at random times, the amount I smoked didn't really matter. Not many people I know had the same but some other guys who I smoked every day with for years have had similar symptoms, some even ending up in rehab.

Now ofcourse every person is different, but me and all people I grew up with never had a single issue for years, happily smoking. I don't say weed per se is bad, it's obvious it's not meant to be used the way we used it. However since a lot of people start smoking when they're a teenager they often get addicted while not realizing it themselves. You can ask any 20+ year old who smokes daily for 4+ years if he is addicted or not. 80% will say no but I bet you they can't stop even for 48 hours.

I don't want to sound like some wise ass or hater against stoners/weed, if you live good with it, that's awesome (same goes for alcohol and other drugs)

But a lot of us ARE addicted and suffer from a lot of problems because of it. Often people don't even realize it's the weed that makes them feel bad instead of good in the long run.

Thing is when you look for weed you see the positive stories, you hear the positive stories around you & you have a positive experience yourself. If you google some negative things about weed you will see tons of people with serious issues. I've had over 1000 evenings where I got high successfully, just like you, I did have amazing nights, fun times, ideas (I do web developement & design) while getting high. No negative effects whatsoever. But at one point it all went dark and it took me years to climb out and I still suffer from a lot of anxiety and various other problems.

"Thing is when you look for weed you see the positive stories, you hear the positive stories around you & you have a positive experience yourself."

Compared to the amount of negative alcohol related stories I've seen play out in front of me or read, it is a miniscule amount I'd say. And I'd say there is a pretty even amount of negative and positive cannabis stories. I feel like a lot of positive stories are never told, but most negative stories are told because that person will search for a forum to use as an outlet to get answers as to why cannabis doesn't agree with them.

I'm just saying an ADULT should have the right to choose whether or not they wish to recreationally or for medical reasons, partake in the consumption of cannabis. It's a little rediculous that most places in the world still don't have that option. Of course daily use is going to eventually lead to side effects, but only a careless person would smoke daily without taking tolerance breaks every few weeks. A fully mentally developed adult should not be told they cannot partake in the smoking of a natural plant, that at the bare minimum has never killed anyone from overdose. It's not right.

I smoked 2-3 grams of decent weed for almost 10 years and quit cold turkey and have been quit now for months. Yes I still want to smoke, and there are times i really really really want to smoke but that's just how it is. I really like Double Quarter Pounder's with Cheese also, and I eat one per week. I have the choice to eat as many as I want a day though, and I can assure you they will kill me before the pot does. We should have the right to smoke if we so desire. If you can't handle smoking weed, or it makes you feel excessively lazy or whatever it should be your choice not to smoke it. It shouldn't be up to the government to law you into putting down the pipe and getting to work, or regulate a plant because you get anxious when you smoke it, it should be up to you to make the choice not to use the drug. I mean I still smash on my snooze button even when I don't smoke, and I don't feel it has anything to do with getting high or not getting high it's about personal accountability and wanting to do things. A substance should not remain illegal though, just because a select few rare (and no matter how many forum posts you care to site what you're calling addiction is rare) individuals can't handle it. The type of person who lets weed take over their life in that manner would have just as easily fell into the same trap with any other drug and used it as a scapegoat as well. I don't tend to call people out on this forum I like to site facts and share links but the word addiction is thrown around a little too loosely here, really really really enjoy and don't want to do without it but can physically if I'd just try is more closely akin to what you mean but not as easy to say.

"Thing is when you look for weed you see the positive stories, you hear the positive stories around you & you have a positive experience yourself."

Compared to the amount of negative alcohol related stories I've seen play out in front of me or read, it is a miniscule amount I'd say. And I'd say there is a pretty even amount of negative and positive cannabis stories. I feel like a lot of positive stories are never told, but most negative stories are told because that person will search for a forum to use as an outlet to get answers as to why cannabis doesn't agree with them.

I'm just saying an ADULT should have the right to choose whether or not they wish to recreationally or for medical reasons, partake in the consumption of cannabis. It's a little rediculous that most places in the world still don't have that option. Of course daily use is going to eventually lead to side effects, but only a careless person would smoke daily without taking tolerance breaks every few weeks. A fully mentally developed adult should not be told they cannot partake in the smoking of a natural plant, that at the bare minimum has never killed anyone from overdose. It's not right.

I don't believe most people are adult in the way you define them. Adults or not the problems are even more challenging when it come to cannabis as they are much more mental an it does not necessarily have to do with quantities.

Maybe the point is how weeds can also be negative. I feel like whenever someone tells a negative issue about marihuana people immediately compare it to alcohol and how bad it is socially speaking. But we are not discussing alcohol but how weeds can also be a problem.

I know lots of people who dislike marihuana because of its mental effects. And some others about bad trips. The experience the op passed us is quite enriching as he comes from a country that allows weed and nevertheless, they have problems.

I don't believe most people are adult in the way you define them. Adults or not the problems are even more challenging when it come to cannabis as they are much more mental an it does not necessarily have to do with quantities.

Maybe the point is how weeds can also be negative. I feel like whenever someone tells a negative issue about marihuana people immediately compare it to alcohol and how bad it is socially speaking. But we are not discussing alcohol but how weeds can also be a problem.

I know lots of people who dislike marihuana because of its mental effects. And some others about bad trips. The experience the op passed us is quite enriching as he comes from a country that allows weed and nevertheless, they have problems.

The main reason alcohol is frequently compared is because it is an example of a legalized substance that was once prohibited. I mean if alcohol, which is one of the LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH WORLD WIDE, can become legalized, I'd hope a plant that hasn't ever killed any can be legalized too...

Do you know how many billions of tax dollars are spent each year jailing cannabis related non-violent drug offences? It's actually pretty disgusting. If that money were to be spent towards harm reduction programs and other knowledge drug teaching programs, it would do absolute wonders.

I don't know, I think that you do have to be mentally prepared for any type of psychoactive substance. If you don't have that mental strength, then you can allow even weed to give you a bad trip. And I can't imagine you on a real psychedlic. If weed is giving you issues with your mental health, then stop consuming it? There is a reason I've never seen homeless weed addicts though I'd think. At least weed isn't the reason they are homeless. I also don't see it tear apart lives like many other substances do, and it literally has aspects to it that are incredibly healthy for the body. (Depending how it is consumed) Go figure, a plant has strong anti-oxident effects. Maybe weed should be legalized but you have to get a psych evaluation first lol? In order to weed out the bi-polars that haven't been diagnosed yet but will blame it on weed.

"I don't believe most people are adult in the way you define them."

I don't even understand what this means. Yes, there is an age when the brain stops developing at a high rate and you reach mental maturity... This is generally around the ages of 18-21. There is a reason to not do any type of drugs while a child or teens brain is still growing and maturing fast, but once you have finished adolescence, most people come out of it as a mature adult, unlike the child they were before puberty, and will have minimal side effects from occasional uses of substances like alcohol and cannabis. Although, again, alcohol is really a much much much worse substance. But it CAN be consumed in moderation without immediate serious health risks.

Last edited:
Actually I only hear positive stories in my surroundings.. most people don't really admit they have issues with weed, at least from my experience.

I smoked 2-3 grams of decent weed for almost 10 years and quit cold turkey and have been quit now for months. Yes I still want to smoke, and there are times i really really really want to smoke but that's just how it is. I really like Double Quarter Pounder's with Cheese also, and I eat one per week. I have the choice to eat as many as I want a day though, and I can assure you they will kill me before the pot does. We should have the right to smoke if we so desire. If you can't handle smoking weed, or it makes you feel excessively lazy or whatever it should be your choice not to smoke it. It shouldn't be up to the government to law you into putting down the pipe and getting to work, or regulate a plant because you get anxious when you smoke it, it should be up to you to make the choice not to use the drug. I mean I still smash on my snooze button even when I don't smoke, and I don't feel it has anything to do with getting high or not getting high it's about personal accountability and wanting to do things. A substance should not remain illegal though, just because a select few rare (and no matter how many forum posts you care to site what you're calling addiction is rare) individuals can't handle it. The type of person who lets weed take over their life in that manner would have just as easily fell into the same trap with any other drug and used it as a scapegoat as well. I don't tend to call people out on this forum I like to site facts and share links but the word addiction is thrown around a little too loosely here, really really really enjoy and don't want to do without it but can physically if I'd just try is more closely akin to what you mean but not as easy to say.

I handled everything fine up until a point. Thing is people don't really realize what weed actually does. At start it just uplifts your mood, makes you relaxed, at least for most people. But weed mostly makes your feelings stronger, kind of like a light version of shrooms.

If you smoke for years you will often end up in a crappy situation (you go bankrupt, family member dies, whatever) while still smoking weed. I don't mean the weed causes this, I just mean things happen in life. You will most likely not process things properly cause you're high all the time, altough you don't realize it at the time. That's the danger. And actually we had a large group of 40-50 people or so when I was a teenager, all drinking smoking hanging out. Almost all of them at one point got paranoid/anxious from weed, some after 1 joint, some after 1 year, some after 10 years, but I know only a handful of guys who still smoke and they don't do much with their lives except work andcome home. I smoked over a kilo of high quality stuff before I ever had a small problem, anxious/mental wise. I'm not a doctor but I'm pretty sure if I was really sensitive to paranoia I'd have it much sooner, not after smoking every day for 5 years.

Sure what I experience doesn't go for everybody. But I'm pretty sure you highly underestimate how addictive it is. Proof alone is my city where the coffeeshop opens at 17:00. At 16:50 you can see people already gathering around the door. Most of those people don't really look good, pale faces, not shaved, dressed poorly etc. That's what weed does to you. Sure you will see some fancy looking people there as well, but a lot are simply not taking good care of themselves. Weed isn't the sole cause of this but it doesn't help that's for sure.

You think addiction is rare because you haven't really put much research into it. A LOT of people are addicted they just don't know it or want to admit it. Also like I said, old school weed wasn't really dangerous, effect or addiction wise. Watch the news in 5-10 years now that it's getting legal in the USA.

Now I'm not saying I don't believe your story. But smoking 2-3 grams a day is supposed to make you function less. That's the whole effect. Weed isn't red bull, it makes you lazy and happy with doing nothing. At least for most people. It sounds like you're the exception, not others.

I don't mean it's as addictive or dangerous as other substances. I just mean to say all you hear is "it's mother nature, it doesn't harm anyone, weed is fine" well that's just bullshit, poisonous mushrooms are also from mother nature yet we don't eat those. Also I have serious lung issues after smoking so much. I did roll the joints with tabacco though, but smoking a sigarette barely hurts my throat/lungs, smoking a joint completely floors me pain wise.

Last edited:
The main reason alcohol is frequently compared is because it is an example of a legalized substance that was once prohibited. I mean if alcohol, which is one of the LEADING CAUSES OF DEATH WORLD WIDE, can become legalized, I'd hope a plant that hasn't ever killed any can be legalized too...

Do you know how many billions of tax dollars are spent each year jailing cannabis related non-violent drug offences? It's actually pretty disgusting. If that money were to be spent towards harm reduction programs and other knowledge drug teaching programs, it would do absolute wonders.

I don't know, I think that you do have to be mentally prepared for any type of psychoactive substance. If you don't have that mental strength, then you can allow even weed to give you a bad trip. And I can't imagine you on a real psychedlic. If weed is giving you issues with your mental health, then stop consuming it? There is a reason I've never seen homeless weed addicts though I'd think. At least weed isn't the reason they are homeless. I also don't see it tear apart lives like many other substances do, and it literally has aspects to it that are incredibly healthy for the body. (Depending how it is consumed) Go figure, a plant has strong anti-oxident effects. Maybe weed should be legalized but you have to get a psych evaluation first lol? In order to weed out the bi-polars that haven't been diagnosed yet but will blame it on weed.

"I don't believe most people are adult in the way you define them."

I don't even understand what this means. Yes, there is an age when the brain stops developing at a high rate and you reach mental maturity... This is generally around the ages of 18-21. There is a reason to not do any type of drugs while a child or teens brain is still growing and maturing fast, but once you have finished adolescence, most people come out of it as a mature adult, unlike the child they were before puberty, and will have minimal side effects from occasional uses of substances like alcohol and cannabis. Although, again, alcohol is really a much much much worse substance. But it CAN be consumed in moderation without immediate serious health risks.

You certainly have a fair point and I get it. I'm normally quite open minded and see the benefits quite clearly, indeed!

I 'm an opiate person. Have quitted and was really hoping that weed would help me with that. Cannabis Sativa definitely does.

I'm sure society would benefit from the legalization once you balance the costs you've mentioned above.

I am probably overthinking this issue due to my recent experiences with cannabis, but of course if it was allowed/legalized, I believe that a quality control would take place accordingly.

Great point of view though. Specially the part you define outline how our brains mature within the age of 18-21 years old.

All the best,
Erik

Last edited:
I don't like the, "it's mother nature" argument either. So is deadly nightshade, but well...it can kill you. Humanity has spent its entire existence fighting mother nature and only in the recent decades have we actually started feeling sorry for her, "even though she's still trying to kill us i promise you." You make some valid points, addiction numbers are really inaccurate though because not enough research is done. Look at how many posters on here sign up looking for some sort of community after a major event like having to quit smoking for a job, or getting arrested, looking for a quick way to pass a drug test (which they don't discuss here), post a few times about how much they love weed and are addicted (over a 4 or 5 post 8 or 9 day period) and then become totally inactive users. Do you still count them as addicted, or did they overcome their addiction and no longer require the community? In your opinion did they just start smoking weed again and just get too lazy to log in? I have a post and if you care to go click on my name and check it out, it is called, "Am I the Exception." I posted it several weeks ago and I asked just that. Since I am not like the typical caricature the media paints of the paranoid slacker stoner, am I wired wrong? As for your coffee shop comment..coffee shops open at 6 a.m. in my town and I assure they have a line at the door with scraggly looking folks standing on it. We just call them hipsters and the shops serve only coffee and sweets no weed. The YMCA opens at 5a.m and there people waiting to get in there for their morning fix also. Who is to say the folks at the pot shops aren't going to catch their early buzz then go shit shower and shave and get ready for work?