• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why I don't believe in therapists

psychedelicsoul

Bluelighter
You know how to measure your strength? Try to see the most impressive thing you can do all by yourself. We need others because of our weaknesses. We are emotionally weak, physically weak, economically weak... If it weren't for all these things, there would be no need for civilization or society in general.
In a perfect world, man would live as hermits, and feed and support themselves. However, we have these emotions and needs that keep us from that life. Unfortunately, in order to survive, we need others. As a result we have war, violence, bigotry and hate. Because we're all individuals. And by nature, we're different.
That's a bad thing. If humans were solitary creatures, it'd be great to be different. However, in order to get along with others we have to change and compromise ourselves. We have to follow laws and statutes and live together. This is the sad reality.

However, I believe we should do as much alone and as much by ourselves as possible. It would strengthen us and make us prouder. The less we need other people the stronger we are.

I know I have anger problems, emotional problems, and anxiety problems. However, morality is subjective so whatever I do to myself will never, ever, ever, ever, ever be wrong as long as I do it. So that makes it easy already. I can't make a wrong decision. Because nothing objectively makes it wrong. I wanna cure all my mental ailments by myself.
I hate psychiatry and I hate seeing therapists.

I hate the concept that my mind needs someone else to understand. Fuck that... Only I can understand me. Nobody else can understand me, just like I can't understand anyone else. If I can't merge my conciousness with you, then I can't understand you. It makes no sense to allow a 3rd party to guide us in exploring and understanding ourselves. True strength comes from the self. If I'm not weak, I can fix myself.
And if I can't, then I'm weak... If I need help from other people to simply be sane then my mind is weak. And if I'm weak, I don't deserve to feel better anyway. Loving and being happy with yourself is a luxury only the strong deserve.

This reads a bit like disjointed rambling. What do you want to discuss?

^That's just like your opinion dude.

But I do agree, that the only source of strength is oneself. But we all share common neural architecture and so have common shortcomings and attributes. No one can fix you except you, but that does not mean that others can't help you. I am just convinced that the majority of humans are doing it wrong, so they can effectively fuck off. ;)

You could break this down further and completely throw concepts like strength and weakness out the window. Throw failure out too. One can certainly fail, but one can elect to gain from a failure, and draw strength from experiences that take from you. You can derive strength from pain, and become weak with power. Here's to the death of boring duality. :\

If what you say is true, then why is every thread you've started all about you and your problems? Seems like you want a dialogue with a therapist but are too scared to seek it out.

Sometimes treating the outside like the inside creates a certain balance.

^ indeed.
I hate psychiatry and I hate seeing therapists.
then don't do it.

if i broke my leg, i'd ask for help from a professional who knows legs, to fix it.

why is it so crazy to imagine that, if i broke my mind, i'd ask for help from a professional who knows minds, to fix it.

what are you so afraid of? seriously. answer that question.

alasdair

if i broke my leg, i'd ask for help from a professional who knows legs, to fix it.

why is it so crazy to imagine that, if i broke my mind, i'd ask for help from a professional who knows minds, to fix it.

Because we're unique. We're not robots. So nobody can understand your mind the way they can understand body parts.

I've removed you from my ignore list, alasdair.

(In retrospect, I missed you.)

Because we're unique

Why assume that psychiatrists don't take this into account?

Last edited:
In my experiences with therapy, it isn't someone else figuring my mind out.

It's someone else who has knowledge I don't have listening to me, putting words I didn't have to what's going on in my head, and helping me build a skillset to handle those issues.

Like everything else, therapy is a tool. And also like everything else, it isn't a tool that works for everyone. Group therapy is a tool that works for a lot of people - it doesn't work for me. And that's cool. We're all just trying to find our way, however we can.

once, in one of those 'evaluation' sessions, i was told, 'you're too arrogant for therapy'. the ONLY insightful thing i've every heard in therapy.

In my experiences with therapy, it isn't someone else figuring my mind out.

It's someone else who has knowledge I don't have listening to me, putting words I didn't have to what's going on in my head, and helping me build a skillset to handle those issues.

Like everything else, therapy is a tool. And also like everything else, it isn't a tool that works for everyone. Group therapy is a tool that works for a lot of people - it doesn't work for me. And that's cool. We're all just trying to find our way, however we can.
absolutely.

some people seem to think that therapy will just spoon-feed them answers. but that's not how it works - therapy helps you, and equips you with tools, to find the answers yourself. and it requires effort. if you won't put anything into it, you'll likely get little out of it.

alasdair

Therapists aren't there to fix you. No one can do that but you. It's your work.

Therapists provide a safe space for projection and reflection, and have some tools and knowledge to accompany you through those different states, to help you sort it out according to what you're expressing.

I'm not a mental therapist by profession, but I do body work. The people who come to me saying, "Okay, fix me!", always do the worst. And then they walk away acting like my profession is BS. If you're not willing to put in at least equal effort that the therapist is inputting, then you'll get little out of it. The world isn't here to carry you, it's here to connect you with what you need.

^Yep. People are lazy. I've worked with a dozen or so physiotherapists.
A significant number of their clients didn't bother doing the exercises (ever), yet they constantly complained that they weren't getting any better.

Last edited: