• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Why Exactly is Tramadol so good for motivation?

thetrippers

Greenlighter
summary
Comparing to every other drug that I've done, nothing even comes close to tramadol. It acts like a stimulant, yet it has excellent anxiety reduction and motivation effects. I take just 100mg and everything is perfect, I can even take massive amounts of caffeine with no ill effects. It's like I can function like all those assholes who just bury their heads in the books just for the grades. Looking at the wikipedia section, one notes that the drug affects at least 9 different receptors. Now, not all of these are producing the profound motivation, I'm just interested in which one's might be. Because I really don't want to be taking a u-opioid receptor agonist my whole life.

personal note:
Okay, first I'd like to note that many people have posted that tramadol is an excellent work aid. Many claim that while it doesn't help doing complicated tasks at all, it helps with all the boring things that I have to do. People, school and life in general really, are tremendously boring, but especially school. Tramadol helps me even to the extent where people consider me more interesting and nicer to be around. My hyopthesis: it's because I don't think what they're talking about is so boring! There are so many things that bore me to death or just piss me off. Tramadol makes it all go away. But I don't want to buy more or become dependent, it's been exactly one week since my last dose.

My hypothesis:

Antagonizing 5-HT2C is pretty huge for making people content with things as I liken it to the k-opioid receptor with opioids, except with serotonin. So reducing that little basterd could be of prime importance. Similar drugs with this action are fluxatine aka prozac.

Second, it's NRI activity, akin to drugs such as strattera and welbutrin, both marketed for ADHD reduction and depression reduction. *Author's note, I took welbutrin and found it had almost no effect on anything but making me very stressed and disrupting my sleep.

Third, the opioid effects help to limit the discomfort one feels on a day to day basis, and this makes it easier to do the stuff you don't like

-Other confounding factors

Supposedly tramadol is a seratonin releasing agent, however, this contradicts the antagonism of 5-HT2C. It is also an NMDA receptor antagonist, similar to ketamine, which recently has been shown to be an instant depression cure. Finally, it has minor actions on the GABAa.

Overview:
Basically, this drug is doing everything at the same time. I liken it to the acid of the pain mediation world. The thing is doing everything. The question I'm having is: can the same effects be had by taking a little bit of K and a k-opioid antagonist/serotonistic agent like st. john's wort or Ginko? I'm just terribly confused and I want to somehow get my boring work done without relying on crap like antidepressants or synthetic opioid agonists.

Will someone please explain this to me? I'm so confused.

Because it's your DOC? A lot of people find that opioid drugs help with motivation, stress, anxiety and generally improve their lives in nondescript ways when they first start taking them. Your experience sounds fairly similar to most opioid honeymoons. We can only speculate about why you enjoy it so much but I think it would be a safe bet to say this is almost entirely down to it's opioid (primarily) and snri activity.
Be careful, as you said you don't want to come to rely on them!

What you are describing OP is exactly what I felt at first with tramadol as it was the first opioid drug I did. I felt all of what you describe, but eventually all these feelings will fade away and leave you with side effects and an addiction only. At this point I moved on to stronger opiates like heroin etc which gave me back that feeling of being content with everything and everyone.

thetrippers said:
asically, this drug is doing everything at the same time. I liken it to the acid of the pain mediation world. The thing is doing everything. The question I'm having is: can the same effects be had by taking a little bit of K and a k-opioid antagonist/serotonistic agent like st. john's wort or Ginko? I'm just terribly confused and I want to somehow get my boring work done without relying on crap like antidepressants or synthetic opioid agonists.

Life will never be perfect and we all have to do boring stuff. I suggest you continue coping with it without drugs, using will just make things worse in the long run I guarantee it. There are no miracle cures for the everyday issues of life sorry.

If you want tramadol without the opioid effect maybe a look at the antidepressant venlafaxine (effexor) would be worth it, they seem quite similiar. But it seems to me it is the opioid effect you seek.

Last edited:
Because it's your DOC? A lot of people find that opioid drugs help with motivation, stress, anxiety and generally improve their lives in nondescript ways when they first start taking them. Your experience sounds fairly similar to most opioid honeymoons. We can only speculate about why you enjoy it so much but I think it would be a safe bet to say this is almost entirely down to it's opioid (primarily) and snri activity.
Be careful, as you said you don't want to come to rely on them!

I really don't want anything to do with them for long periods. Generally my drugs of choice are psychedelic, I like that I can get off them at a moments notice.

Life will never be perfect and we all have to do boring stuff. I suggest you continue coping with it without drugs, using will just make things worse in the long run I guarantee it. There are no miracle cures for the everyday issues of life sorry.

If you want tramadol without the opioid effect maybe a look at the antidepressant venlafaxine (effexor) would be worth it, they seem quite similiar. But it seems to me it is the opioid effect you seek.

I will look into the effexor. That's really scary. I'm glad I ran out of my stash, I had begun ramping up to 200mg a day towards the end. This took about 2 weeks for me to eat them all. I guess I didn't even realize that it could be so seductive. I am generally very focused and motivated when I'm in a sexual relationship. But that has been a bit tricky. I thought that I could take control of my life in a way, I don't want to be like people who are taking 500mg a day just to get by. And I definitely don't want to move up to more expensive options as I'm currently strapped for cash. I may buy more and keep them for finals or important papers that need to get done.