• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why DXM have never used as SNRI antidepressant?

Renald

Bluelighter
It is not very long ago when SNRI were introduced as antidepressants, in our country only about 10 years. I am interested in why well known SNRI - DXM - was not introduced as antidepressant long time ago? Was it due to the lack of interest for pharmaceutical companies to research DXM in depth, or there were scientific studies and SNRI antagonism of DXM was noticed not to influence depression, either too much side effects at needed dosage were noticed. Where is the truth, money or science? Or maybe SNRI in not the answer to the depression treatment?

Probably because it also acts as a dissociative, which isn't really conducive to functional, daily use.

I've always wondered this too. Surely the nmda antagonistic effects could be negated by only taking 75mg 3x a day? And increasing as needed. And then you would have the antidepressant effects of snri and nmda antagonist combined. Its probably more complicated then that tho

Plus it's already as a cheap antitussive on the market.
You couldnt sell it as it is as an expensive ad.

It looks that NMDA antagonism causes an issue only on quite high dosages, at low dosages there is almost no NMDA antagonism. Also, there is a possibility to stop DXM->DXO conversion by CYP2D6 inhibitor, there are combinations with quinidine, which blocks this pathway, and DXM by itself is quite a weak NMDA antagonist ...
Looks it it the situation written in last post - you cant sell the well known cheap antitussive for a high price as a novel antidepressant ...

It does not bode well for long term treatments, or functionality as far as I know. Research needs to be done on this but as far as I am concerned, using it and having subjectively experienced the antidepressant effects (they are there) does not mean it should be used. It made my anxiety and depression much worse but maybe low dose treatments can be effective and not have long term negative effects but we don't know that for certain. Ketamine is a wonderful antidepressant and it doesn't last very long and I know someone who had absolutely terrible clinical depression that was treatment resistant and after 3 ketamine infusions has not struggled with it since.