• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Why don't Stims work for me?

Drugs110

Greenlighter
I suffer from OSAS (sleep apnea), mild, AHI = 7.7
I probably have adrenal insufficiency because my cortisol and ACTH levels are on the very low end of the normal clinical range, I've been seeing an endo because of this

I've tried ritalin, vyvanse, caffeine, theacrine, phenylpiracetam and so far, even at the max prescribable doses, they don't do anything to me. My BP and HR do rise, BUT I don't experience the mental effects, stimulation, increase in motivation, libido. As if I hadn't taken anything

What (organ?) problem can cause non-responding to stims?

I'm so desperate to find out, I'd be willing to donate to anyone who's able to solve my issue and get me to respond to stims again
I'm serious. Please someone help

Last edited:
No, I suffer from extreme fatigue and I need to correct the issue causing me not to respond to stims, please understand I need stims to work for me too badly, as I have had to cancel 2 upcoming exams because of my chronic fatigue. It's ruining my capability to work. Please help

me too! did you acquire your fatigue genetically or was it the result of an injury (mine is from brain damage)? :)
what do stims feel like to you? could you describe how it feels to take, say, MDMA, for instance?

i take it you haven't always felt this way - when did this change for you?

I've never taken MDMA

No, I acquired it. My doc says it's not because of the mild OSAS

7 years ago

I've never taken MDMA

No, I acquired it. My doc says it's not because of the mild OSAS

7 years ago

oh right! you need GHB:
gamma-Hydroxybutyric Acid.

trust me, but consult your physician first, its prescribed in the US for narcolepsy but for yoir symptoms its perfect.

oh right! you need GHB:
gamma-Hydroxybutyric Acid.

trust me, but consult your physician first, its prescribed in the US for narcolepsy but for yoir symptoms its perfect.

I don't have narcolepsy lol I need to fix what causes me not to respond to stims

how would you say your sleeping is?
poor; i'd wager.

Last edited:
yeah, so poor.
what's your overall health like; diet, exercise, history of illness, any disabilities etyctettctc

you migth feel more comfortable sending me a private message

It's good you're working with a doctor on this. Perhaps consult a neurologist? What medications or treatments are you looking toward for the future?

It's good you're working with a doctor on this. Perhaps consult a neurologist? What medications or treatments are you looking toward for the future?
Yes, I'm going to request neurological tests. Would an MRI be sufficient?

Meds, probably cortisol tablets because of my incredibly low cortisol levels. I might give B12 injections a shot too, or might as well convince my endo to prescribe me Test Cypionate as even tho I don't have testosterone deficiency, testosterone could definitely help me get in shape, which in turn would normalize my organ functions I think?

So most probably a neurologist and endocrinologist

Are you currently taking anything for the low Corticotropin/ CRH and Cortisol levels ? Have your doctors suggested the possibility of Addison's disease? Or have you abruptly stopped moderate to high levels of Corticosteroids ?

Are you currently taking anything for the low Corticotropin/ CRH and Cortisol levels ? Have your doctors suggested the possibility of Addison's disease? Or have you abruptly stopped moderate to high levels of Corticosteroids ?

No, and funnily enough my doc seems to be OK with the fact my levels are that low, BUUUUT I'm not going to let that slide, it's clearly NOT normal to have that low levels

I have already suggested the possibility of Addison's Disease but he said as I don't have hyperpigmentation, I probably don't have it, and I find that to be bullshit.

Also, I think I must mention that whenever I take stimulants, they make me quite dizzy in the beginning, it feels as if the stim is draining my already incredibly low cortisol levels / supply. When I tried nicotine it did the same thing to me

No, I've never taken corticosteroids

~
Dam... Well at least you are going to get an MRI so you can rule out adenomas in the locus coeruleus, basal ganglia, etc. I hope you give us an update on what happens. Or maybe someone else might jump in with something pertinent. I do wish you luck though..

~
Dam... Well at least you are going to get an MRI so you can rule out adenomas in the locus coeruleus, basal ganglia, etc. I hope you give us an update on what happens. Or maybe someone else might jump in with something pertinent. I do wish you luck though..

TY man

That's really interesting. I know locus coeruleus is responsible for almost 100% of the NE production of the brain. Dunno about the basal ganglia. How are these related to my problem?

^
I was thinking of likely sites for adenomas other than the obvious which would be the pituitary.A craniopharyngioma is highly unlikely and I think you would have mentioned it if you have had meningitis or encephalitis. Or bi-lateral trauma/ damage to your abdomen affecting the adrenal glands. Without the hyperpigmentation that's also unlikely so anything else is just a shot in the dark.

I would try an find the most competent Neurologist / Endocrinologist you can. I would bet they have dealt with patients that have suffered from your condition or at least something similar.

Between POMC, ACTH, Polypeptide fragments, the Synacthen (ACTH Stimulation) test, I think you will get much farther with the outcomes of these diagnostic tests and professional interpretation.

Could AD(H)D be a possibility? Stimulants (e.g methylphenidate and amphetamines) plus ADHD (prefrontal cortex and basal ganglia possibly affected - regulation of norepinephrine and dopamine) tend to have paradoxical effects whereby hyperactivity is reduced as well as concentration improved... just a hypothesis for not responding expectedly to stimulants.

Last edited: